Archery Talk Forum banner

What to do with extra deer antlers? Cool projects welcome!

37K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  Muzzy61 
#1 ·
I have a small 8 point with 3.5 in g2's i killed him when i was a teenager, and his trophy value as a wall hanger has lost much of it's value to me. It was meant to be a euro mount in the beginning but the dogs got to it first and chewed most of his nose off, so it's just a thick chewed up skull with little ol antlers on it. It is too small to make a decent pair of rattling antlers. I need the space on the wall for other deer also. Does anyone have any ideas for a home project to make out of the antlers? I don't really wanna cut em up for knife handles or anything. Maybe a toilet paper holder? Let me get some ideas from you guys!

#3 ·
He is mounted currently in a euro with a chewed off skull, I am looking to turn him into something creative since he is a small buck and i need him off the wall to make space for his bigger brethren. I have seen lamps made from them or a gun rack or something. Thanks for the offer though.

#6 ·
Make a lamp with the antler or even better a chandelier!:exclaim::dancing::banana::RockOn:

#7 ·
I think you should dip them in camo! I dipped a few of my own in a grass pattern, and a hard wood pattern. I am currently dipping a few in some new camo film I just got.

#10 ·
Sometimes they can be used as/with a basket for the handle. Or possibly a handle for a wooden box containing some of your bow equipment/tools.
Depending on how much curve they have there might be a knife handle or two in the material you have.
Could you post a photo?

#13 ·
As a tall guy who has bumped his head wayyy to many times, those ceiling mounted racks are scary!

#14 ·
I cut the bases off some sheds I found and used them as handles for my fireplace poker, ash scoop etc. They look alot better with my rock fireplace than the black or brass handles.

#16 ·
My friend used to buy bags of deer horn and make pipes out of them!! Tobacco pipes of course! A dremmel tool, some leather and he had nice pipes that he could sell at trade day for about $7 a pipe!!

#19 ·
No I don't have any pics, but he would use the brow tines and the G-tines and the sharp point was the sucking end, and he just drilled out a hole for the goods to go in, put a screen in it, wrapped leather lace around the ends and they looked pretty sharp! Smoked good too!

#25 ·
I made a rattle bag out of some sheds I found just cut them up into like 2-3'' pieces and put them in a crown royal bag worked real good till I lost it

#27 ·
Ahh I always wondered when I found that rattling bag who the guy was that lost it !!! lol........ Now I know !
I made some black powder measures, buttons for my black powder bag, coat racks, hot glue tines around picture frames for your hunting photos, lamp bases

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.