Thread: Anybody ever get a big buck to break from a hot doe???

Anybody ever get a big buck to break from a hot doe???

Saw a monster all day on sunday only 100 yards away from me, but he was with a hot doe and wouldnt leave her for nothing. Grunted, rattled, snort wheezed and nothing(of course it was really windy so he might not have heard me). Anybody here ever get a big one to break off a hot doe and come in, and if so what was your secret?

Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

yeah - jump in front of him. Just kidding. was leaving my stand and saw a doe running at me. She hit the brakes 10 yards away, and ran away from me. The buck came up behind her 20 seconds later and stopped looking at me. Couldn't shoot because of brush in the way. Talk about a rush!

I got a 153" buck few yrs ago that was after the doe. I used bleat can. Guessing doe thought it was a fawn. She came running over he was right on her heels. So I think, if you can get doe to come over & buck will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcheryhunterSD View Post
    I got a 153" buck few yrs ago that was after the doe. I used bleat can. Guessing doe thought it was a fawn. She came running over he was right on her heels. So I think, if you can get doe to come over & buck will follow.
    Ya thats what I was thinking I need to call the doe in. Gonna have to buy a new can call.
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

This is indeed true. Just like when you find a gobbler with hens. I've killed a couple of birds where I simply started just yelping away on my mouth call in order to tick the boss hen off. Sure enough, they came in & the gobbler was bringing up the rear. As for actually getting a gobbler or buck away from a hot doe, good luck with that.
    Athens Afflixtion - 30/71
    MBG Rush Sight / Trophy Taker SmackDown Pro Rest / Treelimb Quiver / Stealth Stabilizer
    HTA Harvester 300's tipped w/ 125gr. Shuttle T's.....435 grains moving @ 306 fps

I've heard the best way is to try and call the doe with a fawn bleat. If that does not work I think your SOL. I haven't been in that situation to try it, but if all else fails then it could be worth a shot.

Problem with this strategy on Sunday was that the doe the buck was on was a fawn lol
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

I had a big old heavy six point chase two does to the base of my tree where he stopped and started rubbing trees and snort wheezed a few times. When they walked off, I let him get behind a big cedar tree and wheezed back at him. He left the does and came right back to the tree. I have tried this on other bucks without success but this particular one was looking for a fight.
    Hoyt Vectrix 28/70 350gr/301fps 462gr/265fps
    Elite Z28 28.5/70 350gr/305fps
    Hoyt Alphaburner 28/70 420gr/300fps

I shot a 10 and a big 8 that both were on a hot doe and I hit the bleat can and grunt call like a mad man and I pulled both from the doe. This was 2 different occasions not at the same time.

Snort wheeze - very effective. I've seen'em bristle and walk my way several times.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

I shot a buck on Halloween that was with a doe. Neither one would respond to a bleat/estrous call (Primos Can) or a grunt call. The buck did come though when I did a snort-wheeze, but the doe stood her ground.
    USUALLY THE HUNTERS THAT WERE NEVER ANY GOOD AT HUNTING WILL SHOOT A SPIKE.they just dont know any better and never will amount to anything .......sproulman
    I think meat hunters is another name for "Bad Hunter" or "Low Patience Hunter"....grfox
    Meat hunter=Don't have time/and or patience to hold out for mature buck.....173BC

Only once and I rattled him in this past week in Indiana. He left the doe and came in and didn't see what he was expecting and then was gone. I didn't even know he was around. I was just blind calling. He immediately went back to his doe and I watched him run her for the next several minutes until they moved off. Prior to that I have tried everything from snort wheezing to talking bad about their gramma and nothing has worked.

I pulled a big one off a doe two years ago. They came in and bedded 70 or so yards away. Could only see him when another buck came through the funnel.....he ran at 5 different bucks hard with his head down through the day. Roaring, spitting, wheezing. I pulled him by using the can twice, then the hardest snort wheeze I could muster. Came in at 30 yards facing me and stood there for a couple minutes motionless. Turned straight around and trotted back to the doe. No shot op. They moved off the other way at dusk.

ttt
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Snort wheeze - very effective. I've seen'em bristle and walk my way several times.
    Tried this on Sunday, buck perked up looked my way, doe wasn't having any of it, she spooked and split, big guy followed. Won't try it again...
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

would you leave your girlfriend who is hot and ready to go in the bedroom to check out some noises you hear goin on outside??????????

...hmmm...most men would say, depends on how long I had been with my girlfriend.... But seriously, the only success I have ever had doing this is when I used a buck decoy. That really makes bucks mad, but is best used in open fields so that they can see if from afar and it doesn't spook them last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by joehunter8301 View Post
    would you leave your girlfriend who is hot and ready to go in the bedroom to check out some noises you hear goin on outside??????????
    Haha probably not
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

I was fortunate to witness the behavior I posted here earlier......If another buck gets close to where the pair are bedded that breeding buck will try to KILL him! He will defend his breeding position with his life if he's a mature brute. So I think you need to make him think another buck is coming in. Get on the ground and beat your antlers on the dirt, snort wheeze at him.

Otherwise, I think most lockdown situations lend themselves to a spot and stalk better when you actually see the couple bedded.

Quote Originally Posted by joehunter8301 View Post
    Depends on the noises And remember these are just randoms they're picking up, there's no real commitment... If I was a buck, I'd be checking out every last single bleat I heard. I'd be killed as a nubber for sure, probably by some other angry buck....
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."