a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The $160 Mechanical Shooter/Draw Board

The $160 Mechanical Shooter/Draw Board

Hi guys and gals! I'm going to give you all a quick lesson in creating your own mechanical shooter and draw board combination for all of $160.

Yes, that's right. $160, and all you need is a field trip to a Home Depot, a Harbor Freight, and a deep socket tool set. Anyone can build this, and you don't need welding gear, any specialized stuff, or a green alien slave girl to build this for you.

Starting off - the parts list.

1) A Ryobi Miter Saw Quickstand, model # A18MS01. Link is here:
    http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ac...tables/A18MS01

Home Depot has it normally for 99 dollars. It's on sale for 79 dollars right now. Rated for 400 pounds of abuse, this will be more than sufficient to handle a bow.

2) A Harbor Freight Haulmaster Manual winch., model 95541.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-...nch-95541.html

It's normally priced at 29.99. This is a 900 pound winch.

3) Some generic foam tubing, like from a swimming noodle or pipe insulation. 5 bucks.

4) Duct Tape and some ball ended shock cord. 5 bucks.

5) TruFire Patriot or Patriot Junior release - average price, 20 bucks.

Total price - $160 excluding tax and gas.
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - '06 Hoyt UltraTec/'09 UltraElite
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery National Judge/ Level 4 NTS Coach

Okay - part 1.

After buying all of the stuff, go and unpack the draw board.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX

Part 2. Unbox the stand.

Note that one part of the stand is using just the round support (the left side). That is on purpose.

Part 3 - take the winch, and attach it to the stand attachment that came with the Ryobi stand. Use the carriage bolts (provided by Ryobi) to attach the winch.

Part 4. Take the foam, and cut it to cover the round support end. Use Duct tape to attach it to the support end as shown.

This is basically the equivalent of a bow hand.

Part 6 - take a mechanical release, and attach it to the hook. The hook is useful for a wide variety of things - you can use it to do a draw board style off of a D-Loop, or you can use it to be an attachment for a wrist release. My wife's Carter Quickie 1 is shown. Shh...she doesn't know I used it for this...yet.

The hook setup shown is at full draw.

Part 7, you now have a completed mechanical shooter and draw board.

To attach the bow, you basically take the ball ended shock cord and use it to attach the bow at the foam ended side. Please take the screws and lock everything down.

Nice! Where can I get a Green Alien Slave Girl?

Looks great! I will be making one of these soon.
    09' NBA Genetix Black '12 NBA Eclipse Black riser Optifade Forest limbs '13 NBA Genetix Black '15 NBA Black Genetix 29" 60lbs
    newbreedarchery.com

Using it:

You basically take the bow, attach it using the ball ended shock cord to the foam end. Please note that in these pictures, the foam covered support end is extended. This allows you to have no interference with the legs of the stand.

Attaching the hook to the release, you then basically attach the release to the bow's D-Loop, put an arrow in, crank back while watching for the cams to hit the string stops.

When you hit the stops, gently trigger the release.

The next attachments are of my Athens Exceed and my son's target PSE Chaos on the board. The final shot is from my kid's PSE Chaos shooting a single hole using way overspined arrows out of his bow.

Enjoy. I know I am!

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cruss View Post
    Nice! Where can I get a Green Alien Slave Girl?
    Heh. I'd have to take makeup and paint my wife green. Won't work. She'd take her bow and turn me red with holes.

At this price, everyone should own one. And, with the sale at Home Depot, it's actually 140.

Great post! I already have a homemade draw board but would love to have a "Hooter Shooter" type shooter. So my main interest is in using it as a shooter. Could you answer a few questions?

Are you getting same "shot same hole" results using it as a shooter? What is the farthest distance you have accurately shot it? Do you have to add weight to steady it as a shooter like other shooters? Are there any adjustments on the legs so you can aim it?

Bob

That's really cool.

How do you adjust for aiming?

Allen

Is there a way to adjust for up and down Steve?
    Many have asked. Does a scope and lens really help? Heck yes it does!! I miss a lot more accurately now.

I live in the Land of the Free, because of the BRAVE!!

So cool! This would be great for broadhead tuning!

Interspersed in bold.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bfoot View Post
    Great post! I already have a homemade draw board but would love to have a "Hooter Shooter" type shooter. So my main interest is in using it as a shooter. Could you answer a few questions?

Are you getting same "shot same hole" results using it as a shooter?
    Yes. If you see the one shot above, that was a 3 shot setup at 10 yards using the same arrow.

What is the farthest distance you have accurately shot it?
    20 yards

Do you have to add weight to steady it as a shooter like other shooters?
    No. The stand is already nearly 80 pounds, not including the bow.

Are there any adjustments on the legs so you can aim it?
    You don't need to do adjustments on the legs. The outrigger arms allow for up/down. You can also lay the web belt over another outrigger arm extension so you can adjust where the nock height is as well as bow height.

Bob

Left/right - shift the whole assembly left or right.

Up/down - in pictures that I'm going to post, the nock/release end as well as the bow end can be adjusted up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by aread View Post
    That's really cool.

How do you adjust for aiming?

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
    Is there a way to adjust for up and down Steve?
    Yes. Give me a sec and I'll post it before I leave for league.

Okay...more pics.

This is a 3 arrow group out of a 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 using Easton Epic 400's - in other words, crappy shop arrows. 20 yard distance. Note the damaged arrow.

-Steve

Adjustability - this allows you to adjust the bow height. Note that the bow can be moved up or down due to the "T" it's attached to. The base of the "T" can be moved up or down and set with a set screw.

Nock/release side adjustment. I moved one of the "T" attachments from the unused side and moved it to the side that holds the bow. It now allows the strap and release to ride on top of it. This will allow you to adjust the nock side height overall. Combined with the bow side height adjustment, you're able to fine tune the height.

Overall side view from an indoor lane. If you need to shift for windage, just gradually move the back end.

The whole thing excluding a bow weighs about 80 pounds. If you need to sandbag it, you could. But, considering the groups I've been getting, it's not necessary.

I will be making one of these Friday!!!!!!!
    Optifade Insanity 60lb with HHA OL5519 and Limbdriver Pro V
    Parker Gale Force

Quote Originally Posted by hrchdog View Post
    I will be making one of these Friday!!!!!!!
    Cool. Post pics - I'd love to see if there's any other variations that could be created from the Ryobi stand.

-Steve

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast