Thread: how long does the rut last?

how long does the rut last?

when the does become HOT how long does rutting last?

i know bucks rome from miles away but when the rut is over will they settle new land or go back from which they came?

This might give you a good idea of what the rut looks like.

For me usually a minute

please tell me how you last so long
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacd View Post
    For me usually a minute

do bucks stay were they have roamed or do they wander back home?

They wander back home...they usually will return back to their core area if not every day, every few days. When you hear about how far a buck travels during the rut (could be miles and miles), that distance usually isn't THAT far from their core area. Those miles they put on are considering all of the zig-zagging, back and forth, up and down ridges, checking local doe bedding areas, etc. That isn't to say that a buck spotted on one property can't be spotted on a property 3 miles away. But, typically they do come home and will spend the winter "where they are from".

Quote Originally Posted by pse85 View Post
    do bucks stay were they have roamed or do they wander back home?
    They spend most of their lives inside a home range where they feel secure. The majority of the time, once they come back down from their rut-crazed wanderlust they'll head back to the places they are used to and their familiar bedding and feeding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by isaacd View Post
    For me usually a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail4ever View Post
    They wander back home...they usually will return back to their core area if not every day, every few days. When you hear about how far a buck travels during the rut (could be miles and miles), that distance usually isn't THAT far from their core area. Those miles they put on are considering all of the zig-zagging, back and forth, up and down ridges, checking local doe bedding areas, etc. That isn't to say that a buck spotted on one property can't be spotted on a property 3 miles away. But, typically they do come home and will spend the winter "where they are from".
    I remember a deer story in North American Whitetail where a guy killed a big buck one morning. Don't remember the exact time he killed it but a neighbor 3miles away(as crow flies) had the same deer on his game cam the previous night. The 3 miles reminded me of that.
    DXT- 27.5

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

ttt