a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why slit a deer's throat?

Why slit a deer's throat?

Luckily I've never had to finish off a wounded deer but I was just wondering why this is the preferred method of some people. Stabbing a deer would be much quicker and just as effective. Seems unnecessarily brutal to me...

I mean, I would shoot the deer again but if you wanted to save a broadhead why slit it's throat?

Stabbing a deer is not quicker or as effective.

Sharp knife, quick slit and in a minute it's finished.
    The Kruncher™ Deer Call - Shooting Staff
    Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein
    475gr/27.5/70#/252fps

why is stabbing not as effective? It's just like putting another arrow into the deer, though the penetration will not be as good but you could definitely pierce the heart.

The whole idea of "slitting" the throat is to do it while the heart is still beating to speed the process of draining blood from the animal. With bowhunting, by the time you get to the animal ,the arrow has pretty much done that job already.
    DXT & Switchback...28"/ 72lbs..FMJ's 340..100gr Nap Hellrazors

I did it to one that ran into my truck.
    Wrestled him to the ground and cut his throat.
    Now that I have thought about it, I would not to it again.
    One tine to the liver and I would be just as dead.
    He freaked the F**K out when I grabbed a hold of him.

You slit it because within seconds of deprevation of blood to the brain and the animal is dead. Lack of oxygen (via blood) to the CNS is what kills the animal. Stab or arrow them in the heart and if some of it is still able to pump (even if only at a fraction of its capacity) then the animal persists till it loses enough blood that it can't support the neurological functions necessary for life. Just so happens that there are so many major blood vessels in the chest cavity of a deer that if you arrow one there then there is a high probability that something will get punctured. Also to arrow a deer in the head is a low probability shot under normal conditions.

I have done it as a measure of last resort. Are there more effective or quicker ways to do it, sure. It does guarantee death in short order. If the deer is not dead you need to get control of the animal. Getting control of the head is a must if their are antlers involved. I would not attempt to stab one in the heart with a pocket knife for sure. I would always prefer to put a 9mm to the back of the head but that may not be an option. Whether an arrow or a knife they are bleeding to death. A knife through the neck is very effective if you can stand to put the lights out on a deer while holding it in your hands. Not everyone can.
    No sponsors. No camera crew. No team.
    Just hunt with a passion for wildlife and wilderness.

If you have a fixed blade knife, one quick jab behind the front leg in the heart will end it quickly.( the reason i say fixed blade is most folders are not that long. fixed blades are usually 6" long)

Stop blood to the brain. also, less damage to meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by BO HNTR View Post
    An ARCHER sees how far he can get from his target and still hit it.......a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get before he hits his target. JMO
    RIP John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhames
    Watching those hunting shows is a little like reading Playboy. Those big racks are out there but they're few and far between, easier to spot than to get one of your own, and if you do get one, it usually costs quite a bit to mount it.

It would be a cold day in H-E-double hockey sticks before I would grab a buck or doe for that matter that was still able to move around. Thankfully I've never had to deal with it. In all honesty I'd probably walk back and wait for it to pass if I was sure it was going to die rather than slice it's throat. I do now guys who would do it in a second though but it's just not something I would do.

I've had to put down plenty of deer, but only a few that were bow shot. One was spine shot, the other I had to trail for about a half mile before I found it with a broken pelvis/femur. Slitting a throat works fine if you cut to the bone and get both arteries or jugulars. However, you better have a sharp knife as these vessels are tough and will collapse before severing if the knife is not razor sharp. It does seem to be a much more violent death for the animal and I have never seen it work faster than an arrow through the lungs. It seems that by the time you make it through the muscle, the deer fights on due to the adrenaline.

A solid punch behind the elbow with a sharp knife kills them faster than any other method I've seen. You have to watch out for the hooves, but if you can stab in and forward, you will get your arm drenched in blood and the deer will be laying its head down before you straighten up. I like to keep a Steel Force premium in my quiver for this unpleasant task. I usually just launch one from the stand, but that's not always an option.

I've killed wild hogs with a quick stab to the ribs from my Buck Odessey. They usually go 20 or 30 yards at most. You don't want to miss the vitals though. I've slaughtered hogs with a knife and it seems that they live till every drop of blood drains and then they kick forever. But if you poke them in the ribs, they fall over in 30 seconds or so and are still in 60. Really seems to be quicker and less violent than a bullet.

Watching a living animal fight to survive when you are face to face with it is something else. We hunters justify our killing by claiming that we are taking the animal before it dies a cruel or brutal natural death. We should make sure that our killing is swift and peaceful as possible, as weird as that sounds. An arrow through the ribs is a quick way to go...

Dan

I was in SD on a turkey hunt and we had stopped in a parking lot near sheridan lake in the black hills where there were a couple ewes and one half curl ram feeding and standing on the cliffs. Then a diesel truck drove by and startled 2 of the ewes so the jumped accross the road and as the ram started to cross a buick came by and hit the ram. It must have flown 20ft up in the air. The ram had a broken leg and probably a broken back. I grabbed my knife and slit its throat only took about a minute to do the job and it put the ram out of it's misery. I would upload the pics but i cant figure out how lol. I just think its the most humane way to put the animal down for good...

I do it because it makes it easier to gut the animal. They bleed out fast and then when you open them up, you do a little trimming around the Ahole, make sure the pelvis is split, reach up in there as high as you can and grab that windpipe, and with a good hard pull, everything comes out in one pile.
    Potential is interesting, performance is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dtprice View Post
    i do it because it makes it easier to gut the animal. They bleed out fast and then when you open them up, you do a little trimming around the ahole, make sure the pelvis is split, reach up in there as high as you can and grab that windpipe, and with a good hard pull, everything comes out in one pile.
    God is good!

If you stop the blood flow to the brain the animal dies very quickly. I have only done it once, it was in 2005 when I only had my knife and shotgun with 00 buckshot and I wasn't going to shoot the doe again with buckshot.
    Athens Accomplice 32
    29.5"/ 60 lbs
    Athens Factory Staff

Team 26: Double Lung Deerdevils

helps bleed out deer. .
    Elite Energy 32-280 fps
    Carbon express mayhem hunter-463 gr
    10 in bee stinger prohunter maxx
    grim reapers and DRT Dirt nap

I usually give them a dry cleaning bag, and they begin playing with it. Suffocation soon ensues.

If I'm gun hunting, I put one in the neck just below the head. Never had to finish one off bow hunting... I'm not gonna walk away and hide because I don't want to SEE it die... You have a responsibility as a hunter to finish off game as quickly as possible. If I have to, I'm cutting the throat. I've seen it done plenty of times. Just make sure you have an "exit" route planned for when they try to get up!

I was taught to slit the throat when I was a young riffle hunter. The reason was that an animal can be rendered unconscious from the shock power of a high powered round giving it the appearance of being dead. It doesn't pay to attempt dressing a live animal.
    I've never felt the need to do so with bow kills. By the time you get your hands on them they have bled out and and died. The illusion of death would be a very rare occurrence with a bow.
    Rod
    ---------------------------------
    If we weren't meant to eat them, they wouldn't be made out of meat.

The older I get, The better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by ajkbruin View Post
    why is stabbing not as effective? It's just like putting another arrow into the deer, though the penetration will not be as good but you could definitely pierce the heart.
    Stabbing? Slitting throat? Why is one more brutal than the other? Slitting throat...the end. Stabbing in the wrong place...BRUTAL...

i only do it to finish off a deer. Had to this weekend. Spined her, and didn't wanna screw up another arrow. she was almost done, so i just slit her throat... She didn't last long.
    Team 11- Caped & Quartered

Yes, we're just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by camotoe View Post
    i usually give them a dry cleaning bag, and they begin playing with it. Suffocation soon ensues.
    lol!
    Archery makes my shaft quiver.

Blood trailed one 1/2 mile, he was still alive, all I had was a Judge with Winchester PDX. Did what I had to do, learned a valuable lesson about being properly prepared to deal with these situations. So I went out and bought a box of Cor-bon 45lc for the judge. . .

I pull my nine out and put two in the chest and one in the head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast