Thread: Minimum draw weight, bow size, etc required to kill a deer at 10-25 yards????

Minimum draw weight, bow size, etc required to kill a deer at 10-25 yards????

Are there any legal, ethical or equipment requirements on killing a deer at close range with a bow with a light draw weight and using Muzzy MX3 broadheads? I am guessing the draw weight is around 22-25#. It is my wife's bow. We don't know for sure the draw weight. No clue on the arrow speed. For reference, 100 gr target points go about 6" into a Pro Shot laminated/welded foam target at 10 yards.

If this setup is too light PLEASE say so. Would the 6" target point penetration into foam be equivalent to 6" broadhead penetration into flesh?

I guess I am am asking if there is enough ooomph or kinetic energy to make a clean kill.

I wouldn't use less than 35-40lbs with a good fixed blade.
    Electric Pink Mathews Jewel 50lbs, 25"

40 lbs is the legal minimum here.
    150lbs if you hunt crossbow.

Is there a way to measure draw weight at home without the 50 mile drive to an archery shop??

30 lbs is the legal min here in MN...I would suggest checking your state's game laws..
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon21 View Post
    Is there a way to measure draw weight at home without the 50 mile drive to an archery shop??
    Got a fish scale? (that goes over 30ish obviously)
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

Are there any legal, ethical or equipment requirements on killing a deer at close range with a bow with a light draw weight and using Muzzy MX3 broadheads? I am guessing the draw weight is around 22-25#. It is my wife's bow. We don't know for sure the draw weight. No clue on the arrow speed. For reference, 100 gr target points go about 6" into a Pro Shot laminated/welded foam target at 10 yards.

If this setup is too light PLEASE say so. Would the 6" target point penetration into foam be equivalent to 6" broadhead penetration into flesh?

I guess I am am asking if there is enough ooomph or kinetic energy to make a clean kill.
    Uh... no. 6" definately doesnt equal 6" into a live animal. I think pierceing the hide is easily worth 2-3" of foam penetration. Add another 2-3" of foam to break a rib. In short, I think you would be lucky to 1 lung an animal with a 2 blade cut on contact head with majority of the hits just breaking the hide and the animal running away.

Now maybe get her to 30 lb draw and a heavy arrow with a 2 blade cut on contact head and it could work with high efficency bow but thats debatable.

We had a girl years ago in camp who used to shoot 35 pounds (min legal draw) with a 23" draw. She hit a young deer perfectly broadside between the ribs with a muzzy 3 blade. the arrow did double lung it but hardly even touched the far rib wall.

Something tells me she probably has a 22-24" draw length in addition to the low poundage.
    Quote Originally Posted by BO HNTR View Post
    An ARCHER sees how far he can get from his target and still hit it.......a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get before he hits his target. JMO
    RIP John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhames
    Watching those hunting shows is a little like reading Playboy. Those big racks are out there but they're few and far between, easier to spot than to get one of your own, and if you do get one, it usually costs quite a bit to mount it.

No fish scale, but I can get one locally for a few bucks. How would I attach and measure??

Draw length is 23" Using 25" 2216 alum arrows.

Muzzy MX 3 100 gr are three fixed blades. 1.25" cut width. Short blades, not a long version.

correct. iowa has no draw weight limit.

idk..... a 40 pound recurve doesnt toss aarow very fast but they have been killing deer for years

Legal is 40 lbs here my daughter has popped the air bags of a few with her bow any where from 22 yards to 37 yards. she shoots a Hoyt Kobalt set @ 42 lbs 26 inch draw length. She also shot 2 deer with her Mathews Ignition set @ 40 lbs 25 inch draw length 305 grain arrows

No fish scale, but I can get one locally for a few bucks. How would I attach and measure??

Draw length is 23" Using 25" 2216 alum arrows.

Muzzy MX 3 100 gr are three fixed blades. 1.25" cut width. Short blades, not a long version.
    Somehow attach it to something (a rafter, the tracks for your garage door, something like that) then turn the bow horizontal and hold the riser with both hands (above and below the grip), hook the string on the hook for the scale, pull down and read what it says at the highest reading..

My 11 year old daughter got a complete passthrough on a doe with her 35# Chaos, tipped with Steelforce 100 grain heads. Smokin little set-up.

Thanks. I can do that tomorrow after I pick up a scale.

I will also check the NC regs on minimum weights. The bow can be adjusted from 20-50#, so it is possible for me to crank up the draw weight easily with an allen wrench so that only I could shoot it.

Will the impact point be affected by changing the draw weight at distances under 25 yards???

Weight set? Set up so weights at 25lb. Hook the string under the bar. Have you wife hold the bar stable so nothing bad happens. Pull up on bow. Dont let go of the bow at any point. If it attempts to lift the 25 lbs than its greater than 25 pounds draw. If not, well its less.

Disclaimer: the above mentioned senerio is hypothetical and this AT forum POSTER does not recommend attempting this in way, shape or form.
    An ARCHER sees how far he can get from his target and still hit it.......a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get before he hits his target. JMO
    RIP John
    Watching those hunting shows is a little like reading Playboy. Those big racks are out there but they're few and far between, easier to spot than to get one of your own, and if you do get one, it usually costs quite a bit to mount it.

Will the impact point be affected by changing the draw weight at distances under 25 yards???
    New to archery? the impact point will be affected GREATLY. Now 1 or 2 pounds it will be minimal but a change at that draw weight. A 5 pound change will be a world of difference and change all the pin settings. Basically, it will need resighted in.
    RIP John

Silent elk: you mentioned weights??? you mean weight lifting weights?? I can't help you there. The only routine I am good at are the 12oz wrist curls.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentElk View Post
    Weight set? Set up so weights at 25lb. Hook the string under the bar. Have you wife hold the bar stable so nothing bad happens. Pull up on bow. Dont let go of the bow at any point. If it attempts to lift the 25 lbs than its greater than 25 pounds draw. If not, well its less.

Disclaimer: the above mentioned senerio is hypothetical and this AT forum POSTER does not recommend attempting this in way, shape or form.
    Thats actually a heck of an idea..Im thinking it would work better if you had a rope with a dowel on the end (so its like a T-bar), run the rope up through the center hole of the weights so they are all stacked..then hook the rope to your string and lift up on the bow - that way you dont have to worry about balancing a bar full of weights..Only issue I see is how to let the draw down once it draws your bow..

Silent elk: you mentioned weights??? you mean weight lifting weights?? I can't help you there. The only routine I am good at are the 12oz wrist curls.
    yeah lifting weights. Have 2 cases of beer? 1 case of (24) 12oz cans equals 18 pounds of weight. Tie the 2 cases through the handle to the string in the middle. The handle should hold it if in good shape. I mean heck, the carboard handle held 18 pounds when you bought the case. Lift bow upwards Add a beer can in 12 oz increments until the bow cant hold the weight draws back fully.

You can use pop cans too but its not as cool

PS: Dont try this at home. I am a trained perfessional
    RIP John

Quote Originally Posted by SilentElk View Post
    yeah lifting weights. Have 2 cases of beer? 1 case of (24) 12oz cans equals 18 pounds of weight. Tie the 2 cases through the handle to the string in the middle. The handle should hold it if in good shape. I mean heck, the carboard handle held 18 pounds when you bought the case. Lift bow upwards Add a beer can in 12 oz increments until the bow cant hold the weight draws back fully.

You can use pop cans too but its not as cool

PS: Dont try this at home. I am a trained perfessional
    Hahaha..and each can you add is 3/4 of a pound...

Thanks to cornfed and silent Elk. I will buy both the fish scale AND the beer. I will drink the beer while using the scale.

I can already see my wife's new hobby costing me several hundred $ for my own bow now. She is enjoying it, but if I change the draw weight significantly that affects the sights. I just learned that 10 minutes ago. So that means only ONE shooter per bow since she needs a light draw weight and I assume I will want 45-70# on my own bow.

Of course I will then have to start buying two differnet arrows. Hers and mine. Oh well, another $100 gone for two dozen arrows after the bow is bought.

Going to the gun range with her was WAY simpler than this new archery stuff. Buy a handgun. Buy some bulk pack target ammo and have fun. Sights are usually good for whoever picks it up. A S&W handgun might use 3-4 factory loads. The Easton catalog has about 32,373 different arrows in it.

This archery stuff is fun, but the learning curve is steep.

In Ny, minimum draw weight is 35#.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Dave
    Mathews Switchback - 60#
    PSE Carbon X Weave's
    Nap XP-Pros
    Nokturnal Nocks
    Arrow weight - 383grn

This archery stuff is fun, but the learning curve is steep.
    True, but you are at a great place to learn..pretty easy to get answers here.

Good luck with the scale and beer!