Thread: Brace height for a 23" Hoyt Excel with med limb (66"AMO)

Brace height for a 23" Hoyt Excel with med limb (66"AMO)

Can someone tell me what is the proper brace height for a 23"Hoyt Excel with med limbs (66" AMO)? Also can someone forward me instruction on how to set the tiller? Thaks.

Hoyt Excel riser, Hoyt Nexus riser, Spigarelli Explorer riser, Hoyt G3 limbs, S&F Premium limbs, SF Ultimate Pro limbs, Border HEX4W limbs, Spigarelli ZT rest, Beiter & Shibuya plunger

66" inch bow-starting point around 8.5 inches. spread about 8.25 to 8.75

I tend to have about 1/8 to 1/4 inches of tiller meaning if the top limb is 7 inches from the string the bottom limb is about 6 and 7/8 to 6 and 3/4 though with my FRX bows I am setting them even.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

quote "66" inch bow-starting point around 8.5 inches. spread about 8.25 to 8.75"

Does this apply to all riser regardless of the legnth of the limb and the riser? Just curious. Thanks.
    Hoyt Excel riser, Hoyt Nexus riser, Spigarelli Explorer riser, Hoyt G3 limbs, S&F Premium limbs, SF Ultimate Pro limbs, Border HEX4W limbs, Spigarelli ZT rest, Beiter & Shibuya plunger

Brace height adjustments can be made outside (lower/higher) recommended height to help tune arrows. Lower to weaken shaft, higher to stiff shaft. The lower the brace the noisier the bow.

If you check the Hoyt website (www.hoytusa.com) in the downloads section they have the recurve manuals on-line that you can download which show the recommended brace height for the various limb/riser combinations.
    Jack

Art -

The higher brace height WEAKENS the dynamic spine and the lower brace height STIFFENS it. Yes, going sightly beyond manufacturers specs is fine, but if you need to, the odds are you have the wrong arrows.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

I was under the impression that the longer stroke of a low braced bow applies more power, hence weakening the spin of the arrow...Higher brace height a shorter stroke hence stiffening the arrow. I think adjusting the brace to tune a shaft is only for micro tuning....changing point weight, recutting shafts etc, cannot always make the final tune dead on.

Art -

The increased brace height does two things: it increases the draw weight at launch (the initial greater push bends the arrow more) and it alters the angle at which the arrow leaves the bow. Both act to soften the arrow.

The shorter brace height, provides more sustained power due to the longer power stroke, that why the arrow is faster, but the initial push is less, hence the apparent "stiffening" on the arrow spine.

Depending on how much of a tweak you need, the BH adjustments can be either coarse or fine. With most OLY/ILF type bows, the brace height (IMHO) is the first step, then we have plunger depth and tension and limb bolt adjustments to play with as well.

I'll usually go for the lowest "quiet" brace height and then work the other parameters.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”