Thread: Sausage Recipe

Sausage Recipe

I was fortunate enough to kill another deer this weekend. When I called my wife to tell her the news, she responded by saying "I guess we'll have to nickname him sausage." lol

I need a good recipe for summer sausage. Any body have a good one?

Get the high mountain kit .stuff is great
    The world was not given to us by our parents , it was loaned to us by our children.

Quote Originally Posted by vabownut View Post
    Get the high mountain kit .stuff is great
    From Cabela's???

I agree without the high mountain. I am not sure if cabelas carries it or not. You can order online though.

I highly recommend Mississippi66's recipe found here: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1272555

He has pictures, and the recipe itself is really good. I have numerous people begging me for some more of it.
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

Backwoods kits from LEM are good too.

I start with Hi Mountains sausage making kit and go from there. If its your first time, you cant go wrong with it. Its got the cure, casings, seasoning,,,, everything you need.
    We mess around and add other things to the mix like jalapenos, cheese, onion, garlic,,,, endless possibilities.
    If you use cheese, you dont need to buy the expensive high temp stuff. Just make sure you dont cook at temps over 200 degrees.
    Omen Pro 28/70, Victory, Magnus
    X Force Dream season 28/70, HTA, Magnus
    Lots Of Dead Deer

I used the kit from cabelas. It came out very good! smoked them with oak because it adds a nice light flavore thats not overpowering and I just thought it was fitting since they like acorns so much.

4lb deer
    2lb pork loin
    1 cup water
    1 tbl mustard
    11/2 tbl mustard seed
    11/2 tbl black pepper
    3 tbl morton tender quick
    1 tbl garlic powder
    1 tea onion powder
    optional peppers and cheese
    4 tbl spoons jalapeno peppers diced more if you like it hotter
    1 cup cheese
    When your done mixing make a patty cook in the microwave and taste you can adjust your seasoning if you want.
    Mix let set 24 hours stuff in 3inch by 20 casings smoke on smoker at 165 to 170 for 4 to 6 hours. If using smaller casing cook time will be less. Check internal temp. make sure it gets to 165. If cooked in the oven you may add liquid smoke 2 tbl spoons.
    Took a couple tries to get it the way I like it. But you can modify it to your taste.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Since it is my first time, I will probably try the "in a box" sausage.

I got some of the high mountain jerky mix last year and I made 3 different types. It was awesome but after around 10 days, what was left molded. Did I do something wrong or is this normal. I stored it in a ziplock bag in the pantry. Should I have refrigerated it or what?

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. Since it is my first time, I will probably try the "in a box" sausage.

I got some of the high mountain jerky mix last year and I made 3 different types. It was awesome but after around 10 days, what was left molded. Did I do something wrong or is this normal. I stored it in a ziplock bag in the pantry. Should I have refrigerated it or what?
    Around my house it don't last 10 days

Quote Originally Posted by shot2deer View Post
    4lb deer
    2lb pork loin
    1 cup water
    1 tbl mustard
    11/2 tbl mustard seed
    11/2 tbl black pepper
    3 tbl morton tender quick
    1 tbl garlic powder
    1 tea onion powder
    optional peppers and cheese
    4 tbl spoons jalapeno peppers diced more if you like it hotter
    1 cup cheese
    When your done mixing make a patty cook in the microwave and taste you can adjust your seasoning if you want.
    Mix let set 24 hours stuff in 3inch by 20 casings smoke on smoker at 165 to 170 for 4 to 6 hours. If using smaller casing cook time will be less. Check internal temp. make sure it gets to 165. If cooked in the oven you may add liquid smoke 2 tbl spoons.
    Took a couple tries to get it the way I like it. But you can modify it to your taste.
    This looks very similar to Mississippi66's recipe actually, still looks pretty good. If I get another deer yet this year, and can find them, I'm going to try this with Habaneros.

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post

Jerky kits and most of the homemade/from scratch recipes do not have the preservatives in them that "off the shelf" jerky does. This is a good thing, IMO, because the preservatives aren't exactly "good" for you. Your jerky and snack sticks should be refrigerated and/or frozen.

It SHOULD have lasted longer than 10 days though. Did you forget to add the cure?
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

I'm hungry...
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Quote Originally Posted by shot2deer View Post
    Around my house it don't last 10 days
    I made 12 lbs. of it and maybe 3 of it went bad. My kids loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post
    This looks very similar to Mississippi66's recipe actually, still looks pretty good. If I get another deer yet this year, and can find them, I'm going to try this with Habaneros.

Jerky kits and most of the homemade/from scratch recipes do not have the preservatives in them that "off the shelf" jerky does. This is a good thing, IMO, because the preservatives aren't exactly "good" for you. Your jerky and snack sticks should be refrigerated and/or frozen.

It SHOULD have lasted longer than 10 days though. Did you forget to add the cure?
    I added the cure. I might be mistaken on how long it lasted though. My 36 year old mind doesn't remember things like it used to

I plan on making at least 15 lbs. of sausage and if it turns out good, I'll make another 15. I'll be sure and freeze/refrigerate it this time.

All I can say is:

bring some ......