Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast growing food trees

Fast growing food trees

Hey guys im already thinking of how to prepare for next season and was wondering what were some of the fastest growing trees i could plant for deer it doesnt matter what kind fruit or nut trees just some that will start producing fast. Im also from the southeast so any info will be appreciated.

Apple trees. As soon as you plant them the deer will eat the entire tree around here......
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

ttt

Fastest I've heard of is versions of hybrid persimmon trees. They start to produce very fast & you can wrap
    some chicken wire around them till they get up to size.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

In your area, I have heard that honeysuckle is a great deer attractant--not a tree though.
    2012 Strother Wrath
    Scott Wildcat Release
    Gold Tip XT Hunters 28.5 in. w/Blazer Vanes and Wraps

I don't know if they're suited for your climate, but, Elaeagnus umbellata (Autumn Olive) is a common soft mast wildlife tree/shrub. It grows fast, but is invasive and can naturalize quickly.

persimmon trees produce fast

crab apple trees...grow fast and start dropping apples fast...I doubt you will get any apples off them after 1 year, but after 2-3 they will be going crazy.
    08 PSE Dream Season, 31" 65#, Tru-glo Xtream 5 pin sight .019, QAD Pro HD rest, 550gr. Easton FMJ 300's, Rage 125gr. 2 blades, Posten Stabilized, Twisted Archer strings, 276fps
    www.pse-archery.com
    www.jimposten.com

persimmon and pear trees, although they wont produce by next year the will produce while still small, also plum trees do good,, using miracle grow wont hurt either

I just ordered abunch of fruit, oak, chestnut and hazelnut trees on friday. Persimmon trees were the main tree that I was after but they wont start producing fruit until 6 to 7 years of age. I ordered 6 in 7gallon containers that are already 3 years old. The apple, crab apple and pear trees should start producing within 3 to 4 years according to the nursery. The man that was helping me out highly recommended what is called a JuJube tree. Their brochure called it deer candy and is supposed to produce in several years also. If you'd like I can get you the name of the nursery. They were very helpful with suggestions as well as steering me away from trees that I thought would be a good attractant.

Quote Originally Posted by deer2fowl View Post
    I just ordered abunch of fruit, oak, chestnut and hazelnut trees on friday. Persimmon trees were the main tree that I was after but they wont start producing fruit until 6 to 7 years of age. I ordered 6 in 7gallon containers that are already 3 years old. The apple, crab apple and pear trees should start producing within 3 to 4 years according to the nursery. The man that was helping me out highly recommended what is called a JuJube tree. Their brochure called it deer candy and is supposed to produce in several years also. If you'd like I can get you the name of the nursery. They were very helpful with suggestions as well as steering me away from trees that I thought would be a good attractant.
    I would love to have this info been considering doing this for years...

Quote Originally Posted by deer2fowl View Post
    i think if i'm not mistaken the jujube tree is a relative to the locust?? eitherway locust and honey locusts are irrassistable to deer when there pods hit the ground in fall and winter around southern ohio. good luck i'm interested to hear how this works out for you, you'll have to keep us posted on how everything goes!

Anyone tried Pomegranates? Late fruiting in Ca anyways[during deer season]
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

Saw tooth oak trees grow pretty fast and will start producing deer loving acorns in about 8 years.

x2 on the sawtooth oak. i planted a bunch of them at my house and at year 6 started producing, this year (8) we are loaded with acorns. seeing lots of deer now too.

ttt

Sorry guys I never got around to posting this information.
    Edward Fort Nurseries
    Hartsville, SC
    (866)295-TREE(8733)
    My order: 6-Persimmon,2-JuJube,1-Trophy Pear,1-Docs Pear,1-Mixed Crabapple,1-Callaway Apple,1-Winesap Apple,5-Hazelnut,2-Chinese Chestnut,10-WhiteOak,10-RedOak,10-PinOak,2-SawtoothOak,10-PawPaw(Indiana Bananna). I'm also going to put up some fence and plant some Honey Suckle.

Roughly what does an order like that cost for those trees if you dont mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowgod02 View Post
    Roughly what does an order like that cost for those trees if you dont mind me asking?
    It's $530.00 plus shipping. I haven't got a quote on the shipping yet but they suggested not shipping them until February so I have a little time to get the quotes. If work slows down due to the weather I'll probably just drive down there and get them myself.
    I've been wanting to do this for several years now but kept putting it off. I figure now that the quicker I get them in the ground the quicker they will produce!

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503 View Post
    Apple trees. As soon as you plant them the deer will eat the entire tree around here......
    Yep, my 6 lasted a month! With fence around them! BUT actually they do make a couple varieties of apples that mature and produce fruit faster than regular apple trees.
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

Scarlet Oaks get pretty big in 20 years

not really trees but perennials here in ohio>>>sumac and wild grapes could be up and ready in 1 year or 2. that sounds like one heck of a food plot you'll have once you get what you got going!!

When you plant fruit trees it is a good idea to get some tree tubes for the trees. This will make the trees grow faster and also help to keep the deer from rubbing their antlers on the tree and killing the tree. If you don't want to use tree tubes get some plastic drink bottles and split them and tape them around the tree trunks to help protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    When you plant fruit trees it is a good idea to get some tree tubes for the trees. This will make the trees grow faster and also help to keep the deer from rubbing their antlers on the tree and killing the tree. If you don't want to use tree tubes get some plastic drink bottles and split them and tape them around the tree trunks to help protect them.
    Yep, good idea. That corrugated ADS drain pipe works good and its cheap
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

You can pick up trees at 50-75% off after the spring rush at the big box stores and hardware outlets. I bought about a nice mix of a dozen trees, plus a few grape vines, for cheap and kept them at home over the summer to make sure they were watered. Then I planted them this fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast