Archery Talk Forum banner

Public land food plot

15K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jim p 
#1 ·
There is a nice open area deep in the wood where I hunt. I could easily rake it up in a couple hours. Any good ideas on what to use or if it can be done? No mechanical cultivation, just a rake, natural water, we get ok rain. Thanks in advance...

Scott

#2 ·
How much ground are you looking at?

I have a similar situation that I am working on. (I'm a rookie, but lots of smart guys on here).

I just planted one of the plots (clover from Frigid Forage) . I am trying the frost seed approach. It has worked for a few friends so I thought I would give it a try.

It is amazing what you can do with a buddy, some small garden/yard tools and a few hours. I hope it pays off! Good luck.

By the way they have a sale right now for $29.99 with shipping to get enough seed for two 1/4 acre plots.. After shopping around it seemed reasonable.

#3 ·
Plenty of seed you can put down with minimal soil preparation however, my main concern would be that it being on public land, what are the regulations pertaining to implementing your idea. Maybe it is deep enough in the woods for some not to worry but, I would still want to know before undertaking the task.

#5 ·
ON public gound you always run the chance of other hunters hunting it.... Chance you gotta take. I've got some neighbors that work an old logging road and landing and plant clover in it every few years all on public ground. Lots of people know its there but I've never seen anyone hunt it except for them. Clover is one of the easiest plantings to plant and maintain. Rye is another good choice if you gotta get back into the woods. Brassicas are a small seed and can easily be washed into the dirt with a good pounding rain.

Here is my suggestion: Next spring go in and pick any dead sticks/debris off of the opening, spray with roundup several times through the summer as grass/weeds green up. Late summer, weed whip the crap out of it and try to get it cut AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. Then rake the ground. Try to get any of the cut grass off the plot, then seed with what ever you want.

#7 ·
Most likely it is illegal, not sure how your regulations have it stated. It's considered baiting if the purpose of planting it is to lure in deer. It's also illegal to disturb public land without permission. If it's federal, they can fine you $50(maybe more now) for each cut branch or damaged plant. Some states(like PA) take any damage very seriously. A deer isn't worth the fines. Not to me, anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.