Thread: Late season deer attractants

Late season deer attractants

I'm going to be going on my first bow hunt after gun seasons here in Iowa are done. I was curious if there is an effective way of getting a deers attention late season for example scents,calls,decoys,rattle,or anything?

KEEP THIS UP i woild also like to know this

ttt

Anyone?

Hunt close to the food source. Also watch the weather, nothing gets the deer moving like a strong front coming in!

food...late season they are triggering back on the food sources..so if its legal you maybe can try baiting..set up near food sources and cover.

Corn, focus your efforts around your local food sources. Some people have success using scents, decoys, etc during the late season but from my experience they are unresponsive at this point. Priority is now food as the rut is now closing and the bucks are wore out.
    -"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe dedicated."-

Mathews Drenalin 28 inch
    Easton ST Epic 400's
    Trophy Taker FC Rest
    Tru Glo Tru-Site Xtreme Micro-Adjust 5 pin
    Slick Tricks standard 100 gr

Corn pile!!!!!!
    Hoyt Spyder 34
    Spott Hogg Sights
    B Stinger
    Trophy Taker rest

food is the best bet, they are not interested in calls, sounds, or anything else...They just want to pack on as much weight as possible before all the food sources disappear during the winter.
    08 PSE Dream Season, 31" 65#, Tru-glo Xtream 5 pin sight .019, QAD Pro HD rest, 550gr. Easton FMJ 300's, Rage 125gr. 2 blades, Posten Stabilized, Twisted Archer strings, 276fps
    www.pse-archery.com
    www.jimposten.com

If you are hunting a mainly forested area with very little if any crops, what do you key in on as a food source?

like the other guys said food is the key. If possible wait til a cold snap hits that will keep the pressure low and the deer will be on their feet.
    Wildlife Farmer

look for acorns in wooded areas. especially white oaks. they'll eat any acorns, but they'll go out of their way for a white oak. I watched 15 deer congregated around a white oak in the middle of nowhere, so that's a gold mine if you find one.
    2011 Carbon Matrix 29.5"/65#
    Montana Black Gold Flashpoint 7-pin
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Alpine Removable Quiver
    Easton ACC 3/60/400's and Custom Arrowraps w/ Bohning Blazer 2" vanes

Quote Originally Posted by winn.cody View Post
    look for acorns in wooded areas. especially white oaks. they'll eat any acorns, but they'll go out of their way for a white oak. I watched 15 deer congregated around a white oak in the middle of nowhere, so that's a gold mine if you find one.
    The problem is every other tree in the woods is an oak, about half of which are white oaks. Acorns are still everywhere.

I think ill try the corn/apple mixture about 20-25 yards and see if i can get one.

Got to find the ones they're feeding under . It'll look like they've been rooting in leaves easy to reckognize once you know what your looking for . And id almost forget about hunting mornings wait till about 10-11 can't count how many deer I've killed middle of the day feeding in late season.
    The world was not given to us by our parents , it was loaned to us by our children.

If you had a choice between cut corn or winter wheat, which would you choose.
    Carbon Knight 60# at 29". Quad UltraRest HDX. Trophy Ridge 5 pin Site. Scheels Rogue Arrows. Rocket Steelhead 100's
    Assassin 60# at 29". RAK package.

Well not up to us. Lol its which the deer prefer .
    The world was not given to us by our parents , it was loaned to us by our children.

Quote Originally Posted by vabownut View Post
    Well not up to us. Lol its which the deer prefer .
    OK. Which would the deer prefer?
    Carbon Knight 60# at 29". Quad UltraRest HDX. Trophy Ridge 5 pin Site. Scheels Rogue Arrows. Rocket Steelhead 100's
    Assassin 60# at 29". RAK package.

Corn, bean, alfalfa will all have deer......

Corn, I am scouting now to see what fields have cattle on them and where those cattle are spending most of their time. I prefer picked corn that hasn't had cattle though.

Beans, standing beans if you can find any are a major hot item.

Alfalfa is another major one, the younger the field is the better....alfalfa starts to lose its production after 6 or 7 years, I think it is. I prefer alfalfa that has some windblown areas staying clean if we get deep snow.

Arrowed a buck last year in January that was grunting, chasing and acting like it was November 10th.

Arrowed a buck 12 years ago on the last night of late season, I rattled him and another in from 500 yards away.

Hard antler from late October until they shed, you will have breeding and a doe coming in to heat during late season can attract quite a bit of attention from the local bucks......you won't see seeking and cruising though, it's all localized buck activity.

Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    If you are hunting a mainly forested area with very little if any crops, what do you key in on as a food source?
    When in forested area's only, they key on acorns first. They then key on browse. We have red hazel or red ozier. We also have black ash area's. Look for clearing area's and look for low browse that has been chewed on for years. The plants will be miss shaped, with white tips where the ends have been recently bit off.
    Bob