a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best blood trailing dog breed?

Best blood trailing dog breed?

I'm about to invest in a good deer tracking dog. I am color blind and have a terrible time finding a blood trail, much less staying on it when I do find it. So I think I may break on down and get one. Any of ya'll have any good ones? What breed do you think would be the best at this? I am a veterinarian, and I have heard of several breeds that are used from beagles to daschunds to labs. Want some info before I break down and get one.

Wiener dogs

I have heard that Jack Russell's are good.
    Gage Brock
    Idaho
    www.huntersjourneymagazine.com

I have heard that German wire-haired dachshunds are one of the best at blood tracking. I know of several women hunters that have trained these dogs to blood track and they are extremely adapt.

im interested to know as well.
    Mathews Monster Mr7 Red Smoke

Basset hound, There just a short blood hound.

I have beagles.They make great family dogs.Easy to train to trail blood.There are several breeds that will make great blood dogs and family pets.

What about labs?
    -Brian

I would imagine any sporting dog would do well, just depends on drive and training.

Regardless of the breed, buy a pup bred for the purpose.

There are a bunch of Labs that won't fetch a feather.

Here is a great book on the subject.http://www.born-to-track.com/book/order-info.htm

John Jeanneney uses Wirehaired Dachshunds, from German lines, but there are other breeds that are purpose bred for blood tracking, like the Bavarian Mountain Hound.

The breeding, is more important than the breed. The breeding should have been based on selection for ability, not because the Sire and Dam "have papers".
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

The best tracking dog I ever saw was my Bro in Law's Rottweiler. He would actually track through swamps. I never saw him lose a dear. As soon as you would put his collar with a cowbell on he knew it was game time and would cry like a baby until you told him to track, he lived for it. He had a soft mouth and also loved to retrieve ducks, geese and doves, we never told him he was a Rottweiler and not a Lab....

I got a Blue Lacy for blood tracking. Smartest dog I've ever owned. He's got a great nose and a heck of a hog dog too.

I always wanted the good ole fashion blood Hounds, met a owner at a waterfowl who had one very large and she said there wasnt nothing he couldnt track.

Million dollar question is, just cause they are "bred" to do it, how do you know they will turn out good when they get older? I have seen incredibly smart labs and extremely dumb ones. It's almost better, I think, to get one 5-6 months old that is already trained well and you know what you got. But then again I hate to miss out on the socialization of a young pup. Anyone know of a breeder that specializes in this? Lee lakosky said at our ms meeting that he was about to get a lab trained to find sheds. He was getting him from oak ridge kennels in MN. Think this same guy does blood trailing as well. Guess it's a toss up???

Always liked beagles. They are a little skitzo, but have great personality, great noses, and are good around kids.

They are also relatively easy to train, just don't try to keep them locked up,they are escape artists.

best one i"ve ever owned was a lab, but the best I ever used was a bluetick/beagle cross.

Derutsch-Drahthaar (German Wire-haired Pointer). Best versatile hunting dog around. http://www.drahthaar.com/ They were bred to blood trail deer as well as point and retrieve upland game and waterfowl.

Yep, my avatar shows two Goldens. Wonderful dogs, but not the "hardcore hunters" that my Drahthaar was. I still miss the "old guy".

Tom
    Been shootin' fingers for over 30 years. I like to keep life simple.

I think most any dog will do as long as its trained well. Ive seen police departments use labs to sniff out drugs and stuff and they also make good family dogs. My lab sniffs all sorts of stuff around the yard and I wanna train him to be a blood tracker. Any hound will do great but if you dont give them enough attention they can be pretty bad (our neighbors never play with their beagles and they dig and wont shut up and are just horrible dogs) Little dogs seem to be pretty good to. I think most any dog can be trained and be a great blood tracker with alot of work and discipline

+1 on Jack Russel. I thought about this and I was close to getting a Jack Russel. African Outfitters use Jack Russell's. Beagles and Basset hounds are cheap at the humane society here. That was my second choice. Above all else, I wanted a small dog so I can control it in the woods. I didn't want a big dog because it's easier to pull out a small dog while on your knees through thickets and thorn bushes. Pulling out a full grown lab kneeling down in thickets is a PITA.

Then I had a baby and that dream was all over. Then 2 years later I had another baby. The blood tracking dog is going to have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchcx View Post
    +1 on Jack Russel. I thought about this and I was close to getting a Jack Russel. African Outfitters use Jack Russell's. Beagles and Basset hounds are cheap at the humane society here. That was my second choice. Above all else, I wanted a small dog so I can control it in the woods. I didn't want a big dog because it's easier to pull out a small dog while on your knees through thickets and thorn bushes. Pulling out a full grown lab kneeling down in thickets is a PITA.

Then I had a baby and that dream was all over. Then 2 years later I had another baby. The blood tracking dog is going to have to wait.
    A rat terrier could be a consideration. We have two rat terriers, our female can find anything. Smart too, in fact, too smart for her own good sometimes. Our rat terrier knows names of different toys, different chewies, etc. You can tell her to get a certain toy and she will.

I do think that most dogs, if properly pursaded and know what you want them to look for, will accomplish it. All dogs are different though, our GSP can run circles around a field and point at everything, but would not be as focused as our rat terrier to follow a blood trail.

Don't know if that helps or not. Good luck with your dog search.
    Colette

i have had the oppertunity to own two in my life .. the first when i was a young boy my brother-in-law gave us a beagle cross.. and then later i bought a blue tick registered champion coon hound .. that could care less about staying on a tree .. but loved to hunt .. she was my best tracker .. and tracked great on a leash.... and would'nt give up ..

Quote Originally Posted by snoitcelfer View Post
    I have heard that German wire-haired dachshunds are one of the best at blood tracking. I know of several women hunters that have trained these dogs to blood track and they are extremely adapt.
    Yep, I've seen one that was awesome. Problem with just any hunting breed is some haven't had the most careful breeding. Sure any dog may work but if you get a pup from parents that are both trackers- you will more than likely get a tracker.

I would look for a nose down breed vs some of the other hunting breeds
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

Quote Originally Posted by tguil View Post
    Derutsch-Drahthaar (German Wire-haired Pointer). Best versatile hunting dog around. http://www.drahthaar.com/ They were bred to blood trail deer as well as point and retrieve upland game and waterfowl.

Yep, my avatar shows two Goldens. Wonderful dogs, but not the "hardcore hunters" that my Drahthaar was. I still miss the "old guy".

Tom
    X2!!!!! www.VDD-GNA.org Awsome Versatile Hunting Dog!
    Blood,Squirrel,Rabbit,Fox,Coon ,Duck,Geese,Upland Bird,Shed Antlers,Muskrat............... .............................. .....................Endless!

just ask John Engelken . best bloodtracking dogs in the country are his bloodhounds.hands down. his dog jesse trailed a buck a full day later after an all night pouring rain.
    2010 Elite GT500 lh, limbdriver,cbe tek hunter
    2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 lh, qad hd, cbe tek hunter
    2009 Hoyt Vantage Pro lh,tt rest,cbe 3dxl
    2011 Elite Pure lh ,cbe tek hunter xl, limbdriver
    2010 Elite Xlr lh,cbe 3dxl, llimbdriver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast