a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: martin slayer q's

  1. #1

    martin slayer q's

    i have a martin slayer coming to me and would like to get some info on it. what were the specs on these bows? what limbs were available for it? i know it has the nitrous cam system with the shoot thru system, and they are the c size. other than this i dont have much of a clue about the slayer setup like this so any info or input would be greatly appreciated.

    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    They came with 14" and 13" limbs.

    With C cams, the respective brace is 6.75", with 14", and 5.75", with 13". If you have the string/cable specs from the charts, that give you an ATA of 37.75".

    There is a typo on the charts, for the string/cable specs. You don't need to install 1/4" longer cables, for C cams, vs B or A cams.

    For C cams, it works like this for any bow. ATA + 1.5 = cable length. Cable length + 19 = string length.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  3. #3
    thanks that helped me some, been so long since i have messed with a regular 2 cam setup. what would the best setup on this bow for a 24-24.5" draw, a cams, or b cams with mini mods
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    thanks that helped me some, been so long since i have messed with a regular 2 cam setup. what would the best setup on this bow for a 24-24.5" draw, a cams, or b cams with mini mods
    A cams, will give you a shorter brace height, so they will be a tad faster.

    Each down size in cams, makes the same limbs pull 5# more.

    If the bow maxes at 70# with C cams, it will max at 75# with B cams, and 80# with A cams.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    If your DL is that short, you definitely want 13" "Super Mag" limbs.

    The 14" Mag limbs will give you an inch more brace, and that will hurt your speed, more than you need.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    With A cams, the cable length is the same as B cams, but the string is 3" shorter.

    For B cams, the string is 13.5" longer than the cables.

    B cams with mini mods, and A cams with reg mods will both max at 25" DL, with 13" limbs.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    i have a martin slayer coming to me and would like to get some info on it. what were the specs on these bows? what limbs were available for it? i know it has the nitrous cam system with the shoot thru system, and they are the c size. other than this i dont have much of a clue about the slayer setup like this so any info or input would be greatly appreciated.
    With C cams and the standard 14" limbs, the ATA on my Slayers was always around 37.75" and the BH was always right around 7". With the standard modules, DL range on the C cam was 28-31".

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    They came with 14" and 13" limbs.

    With C cams, the respective brace is 6.75", with 14", and 5.75", with 13". If you have the string/cable specs from the charts, that give you an ATA of 37.75".

    There is a typo on the charts, for the string/cable specs. You don't need to install 1/4" longer cables, for C cams, vs B or A cams.

    For C cams, it works like this for any bow. ATA + 1.5 = cable length. Cable length + 19 = string length.
    The string charts have been incorrect on numerous occasions. That being said, I always use the 39.5" cables only because it advances the cams slightly and I personally think it gives them a better feel. Also, the string specs really should be different with the 13" limbs as opposed to the 14" limbs. I currently have a Slayer with 13" and Nitrous C cams, and I used the string lengths for the Cougar 4 Magnum...38" cables with a 57" string because if you were to leave the lengths the same for both limb lengths, the 13" limbs would have hardly any load in them at brace.

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    thanks that helped me some, been so long since i have messed with a regular 2 cam setup. what would the best setup on this bow for a 24-24.5" draw, a cams, or b cams with mini mods
    The A cams would be the fastest, but they also draw and feel like crap. I would personally recommend using the B cams with mini-modules...your DL range will be 23-26".

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    A cams, will give you a shorter brace height, so they will be a tad faster.

    Each down size in cams, makes the same limbs pull 5# more.

    If the bow maxes at 70# with C cams, it will max at 75# with B cams, and 80# with A cams.
    I've always found that moving down a size in base cams would always result in about 7-8# change in DW with the same limbs.
    Ron Paul

    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in Inferno
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in APG Camo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryJu1ce View Post
    ....the B cams with mini-modules...your DL range will be 23-26".
    Not with 13" limbs.

    13" limbs, make the brace and DL range, shorter by 1".
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Not with 13" limbs.

    13" limbs, make the brace and DL range, shorter by 1".
    Correct...I thought we were still talking about the 14" limbs.

    Indeed...I'm shooting the 13" limbs and C cams with Mini-modules...my DL range is 25-28 and works out perfectly for my 27" draw length.
    Ron Paul

    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in Inferno
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL in APG Camo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryJu1ce View Post
    ...I'm shooting the 13" limbs and C cams with Mini-modules...my DL range is 25-28 and works out perfectly for my 27" draw length.
    You could get to 27", with B cams, and reg mods.

    I always say that "B cam, is THE cam"!!!
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  11. #11
    so what your saying is in order for the bow to fit my wife i will need to change cams and mods, strings, and limbs to get it back down to mid to lower 40's on draw weight?
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    so what your saying is in order for the bow to fit my wife i will need to change cams and mods, strings, and limbs to get it back down to mid to lower 40's on draw weight?
    What mods are on it now?
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  13. #13
    not 100% sure, id say regular because it goes to 31" i believe.
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    At a minimum, you will need to change limbs, cams and string.

    I think you will get into the 40# range with 13" limbs around a 01L or 02H deflection, with B cams.

    However, if the bow has regular mods right now, you will need mini mods, in order for B cams to work at their most efficient DL setting.

    So, in that case, you would be better off trying to find a set of A cams (I might have a set laying around), and getting a set of 13" limbs with a deflection of 02L or 03H.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    not 100% sure, id say regular because it goes to 31" i believe.
    Yeah, those are the reg mods.

    You can still use them with B cams, if you have 13" limbs, at the minimum DL setting. They just won't be as efficient.

    It is going to be really hard to find a set of 13" 01 to 02 deflection limbs though.......
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    You can also use 14" limbs. But, in my opinion, you don't need or want, a 6.5" brace height, with a 24.5" DL.

    If you do go with 14" limbs, you need either B cams and mini mods, or A cams with the mods you already have.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  17. #17
    im not sure what limbs it has exactly, id say 14's. it is a 45-60# with c cams, would it be easier to build this bow for my wife or sell/trade it for something that will already fit her?
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    It would probably be cheaper, to trade or sell the bow.

    However, if you can find the 13" limbs, and A cams, you will not find a bow that will give her as much kinetic energy, at her draw length and draw weight.

    That bow, with 13" limbs and A cams, would have an adjusted IBO rating of over 350 F.P.S.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    I highly doubt that even an APA King Cobra, or Mathews MR5, would be faster, if set at a 24.5" DL.

    I don't think there are any other bows made, that are as efficient and available at that DL.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  20. #20
    im not too woried about her speed, she shot a nice 8 point buck this year with my old parker challenger set at 45 pounds and he didnt go far at all. im just looking for a smooth bow for her that is forgiving but at the same time doesnt weigh a ton. she loves the mass weight of the parker but its just a little outdated and lacking on forgiveness.
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    That's cool!

    I understand.

    I'm just thinking that speed, is like sex or air. It's not important, unless you aren't getting any!

    Even with a 5" brace height, her power stroke is only 17.75".

    That, is comparable to an average shooter having a 9" brace height.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

  22. #22
    well this bow is competition color so its not going to be used for hunting and mainly she shoots indoor. but i see what you are getting at on speed
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  23. #23
    what would say a set of elite limbs which are 17" and a cams yield me. would it be a good paper puncher or would it even be possible?
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    That's cool!

    I understand.

    I'm just thinking that speed, is like sex or air. It's not important, unless you aren't getting any!

    Even with a 5" brace height, her power stroke is only 17.75".

    That, is comparable to an average shooter having a 9" brace height.

    Lmao thats so true.. as he says you wont beat this bow on speed at that DL...and if you do wish to part with it/or sell off cams send me a PM.. Its a good bow... what color is it
    EastOutfitter staff
    Its all fun and games Until you put that big boy on the ground Now its time to get to work

    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    what would say a set of elite limbs which are 17" and a cams yield me. would it be a good paper puncher or would it even be possible?
    I don't think it would work.

    Let me think about it awhile.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •