Thread: Anyone know how to get ink tags off clothes?

Question Anyone know how to get ink tags off clothes?

I bought a shirt yesterday and it had one of those anti-theft ink tags on it. Well I noticed today that they forgot to take the tag off. Is there a way to get them off without getting ink all over? The store is two hours away and my parents went to that town today to visit someone in the hospital but they forgot the bag with the clothes in it.

Any ideas?

Matt

LOL. Believe it or not my little sis had same problem last week that located an hour away. Here's the irony of it though, she had the same problem at the same store a couple days earlier. The second time she still forgot to look to make sure they removed it. Not sure how it all worked out but best of luck

Take it to a local store that uses the same tags and ask them to remove it. Make sure you bring your receipt as well before bringing it INTO that store.

Thanks

It looks like we'll be heading up that direction again soon so I'll get it taken off then.

How bout pay for it first ...Just kidding couldn't help it....

Cut off the sleeve it's on!

How bout pay for it first
    Shhh...

I could cut off the sleeve, but it is in the middle of the left side of the shirt.

Wink Easy Fix

Happened to me once. I cut a small hole in a baggie, and slipped it over the part with the ink in it. Then I used a butter knife to pry it apart. It worked!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBirdVA
    Cut off the sleeve it's on!
    LOL...you know I actually did that I had one of those stupid things left on once and the strore was a few hours away, after a while of trying to get the dumb thing off the ink was on the shirt where the tag was Good thing it was on the bottom of the shirt because I turned it into a really cute belly shirt

Funny thing was...I thought the ink actually being in those things were just a little myth to scare people

not to say just pop it off..

but my brother works for a clothing company..and he says the tags don't have ink in them at all...they're just there to help prevent shop lifting...

but still...just take the reciept and the item to someone that deals with them..and just pop it off...

take a lighter to it..see how effective it is...

after a while of trying to get the dumb thing off the ink was on the shirt where the tag was
    and he says the tags don't have ink in them at all...they're just there to help prevent shop lifting...
    Maybe your brother should have a talk with Obsession.

I worked in loss prevention for 3 years. The tags we had, had no ink in them. Just the metal strip that trips the door alarm. More than likely thats whats inside of it. Ink filled units were too expensive. Even the ones with the metal tags inside cost the store $1 each. Thats expensive when you consider how many tags are in each store.

Well this was a $15 shirt from JC Penny. Think they would have ink?

If they have detector posts by the door, their is most likely no ink. They spend lots of money on the detection system. They are going to use it first. A system for a detection system for a store generally costs around $30,000 to intialy set up. Thats what they will use. I'm not sure why though, they are so easily defeated.

I dont think that they had the posts by the doors, I don't remember seeing any.

May not necissarily have been posts. Could have been small boxes on the wall. Do they have the pads on the check out counter to deactivate tags inside items? Thats another sure sign of the system. More than likely that is the system JC penney uses. They have a very high margin of theft.

I looked at it again and the tag is kinda heavy, like it has ink in it. I'll be going back there tomorrow so I'll just have them take it off.

matt

Some of them do have powered ink inside - there should be a warning tag on it. Regular rubbing alcohol should remove the ink. Good luck ...

The ones that do have ink inside them do have a warning sticker on them...and trust me they do have the ink inside those ones

Yes, there is definately ink in some of them. My wife bought a nice white shirt at Sears a while back to wear to a wedding that, of course, was out of town. Not thinking anything of it she kept the shirt in the Sears bag and threw it in the suitcase and off we went out of town. Morning of the wedding she pulls the shirt out of the bag and finds the ink tag still attached. She freaks and begs me to get it off. Well I wrapped plastic wrap around it to hopefully stop the ink from getting on the shirt if it busted, and started going to work on that sucker with a screwdriver...being as careful as I can of course. I get it popped off and dark purple ink starts oozing out everywhere and the plastic wrap is no match to keep the ink off the white shirt. Luckily she had time to go shopping again and buy a new shirt before we had to go to the wedding. When we got back home we took the ruined shirt back to Sears, my wife blessed out the manager of the clothing department as only a woman can do, and she got her money back .

I think you should keep it on the shirt. Maybe you'll start a new trend like that brief period where it was "cool" for teens to wear sports hats with the tags still on. Never got that one.

That fad must have been before my time. Somehow I don't think the ink tag thing would catch on too well.

The ones that do have ink inside them do have a warning sticker on them...and trust me they do have the ink inside those ones
    Yep, this has got the sticker.

LOL..could you imagine someone walking around with that thing on their shirt?? You mighte as well just break into it and tell everyone it's ty-dye

Well actually, my friend has a foreign exchange student with them and he got a sweatshirt for Christmas and they also forgot to take the ink tag off. He didn't care and he wore it with the tag in it for a day.