Thread: Slingshots

Slingshots

Hello, been thinking about getting into traditional archery but I have never shot a traditional bow. I have however shot a slingshot quite a bit, how similar would you say the skill you gain from shooting a slingshot is to shooting a bow? Wondering if it may put me a bit ahead of the game or if it might even be a hindrance. Also if it does carry over to shooting a bow, would it be a good idea to practice with the slingshot or just to wait till spring and just start with a bow? Thanks guys.

i dont really see how a sling shot will do much for preparing you to shoot a bow. two completely different worlds from what i see. the only way i know of 1 that may help is if it has a heavy pull to make your draw muscles stronger.
    steven
    AIN'T NOTHIN SAFE

sling shot and bow don't comepair at all to me !

They dont compare much.But they do help you build up mussels for a heavy pound bow.

Alright thanks guys, I was just curious since I've been watching a bunch of videos of people shooting bows and the form they use looks similar to what you would do with a slingshot. That and the instinctive aspect of it. I suppose i'll just have to brave the cold and shoot out in the snow when I get a bow.

there is no PULL to a SLING SHOT. you are in reference to a bean flip or wrist rocket i presume. a sling shot is 2 strings or leather pieces attached to a leather pouch, one end haveing a loop for you finger or wrist depending on length & size of projectile. normal length being 18"-24" in length when loaded.

i have shot alot of small game with a sling shot and i would think that stance and judging distance and zoning in on a target would be similar to traditional gear. imo..

Quote Originally Posted by martha j View Post
    there is no PULL to a SLING SHOT. you are in reference to a bean flip or wrist rocket i presume. a sling shot is 2 strings or leather pieces attached to a leather pouch, one end haveing a loop for you finger or wrist depending on length & size of projectile. normal length being 18"-24" in length when loaded.
    Yes wrist rocket is correct. I also have a sling, they are a lot of fun but defiantly far from being a bow.

in biblical times, where did David get surgical tubing or inner tube rubber for his "SLING SHOT'' to slew Goliath with? how many are old enough to remember the live rubber inner tubes? not the later butyl tubes that had no action to them. a sling shot & a bow are not any where the same. you don't twirl a bow over your head to make it shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by martha j View Post
    in biblical times, where did David get surgical tubing or inner tube rubber for his "SLING SHOT'' to slew Goliath with? how many are old enough to remember the live rubber inner tubes? not the later butyl tubes that had no action to them. a sling shot & a bow are not any where the same. you don't twirl a bow over your head to make it shoot.
    Probably just semantics but I've always heard people refer to the twirly thing as a sling and the rubber between the yoke of a stick as a slingshot. I mean even in the bible as you pointed out they call it a sling, 17:40 "Then he took his staff in his hand and chose five smooth stones from the brook and put them in his shepherd’s pouch. His sling was in his hand, and he approached the Philistine."

But to be fair to you, according to the dictionary the words are interchangeable for both weapons. So a slingshot can be called a sling or slingshot and a sling can be called a sling or a slingshot. Although the word slingshot is predated by the word sling by about 700 hundred years. I don't believe they had rubber 700 hundred years ago so I think the word was originally created to refer to the twirly thing. That and the fact that the term slingshot is of American origin where as in Britain they don't use the term "slingshot" instead referring to the Y weapon as a catapult where as a sling is a sling in both countries.

So I think it is safe to say we are both right. I would like to see some one try shooting a bow by twirling it over their head though.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperDave View Post
    Have you seen this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2pSSfW-WI I'm actually surprised it worked, he even used a mechanical broad head.

THEY ARE SIMILAR TO BE PROFICIENT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD ANCHOR POINT AND THE SAME FOR EVERY SHOT YOU HAVE THE INSTINCTIVE THING OR POINT OF AIM METHOD TO SHOOT BOTH.. YES i SAY SOME OVERLAPS EACH OTHER.. SHOOTING IS SHOOTING.. TO BE GOOD CONSISTENCY IS A MUST... BOTH OF THESE TYPE OF SHOOTING METHODS REQUIRE THIS.. IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by Lurken View Post
    Alright thanks guys, I was just curious since I've been watching a bunch of videos of people shooting bows and the form they use looks similar to what you would do with a slingshot. That and the instinctive aspect of it. I suppose i'll just have to brave the cold and shoot out in the snow when I get a bow.
    I thought that's what you meant with your first post, and can see your thinking and yes it does make sense on form and instinctive shooting. Still a lot of difference in the two draw weight, yardage and size of equipment. Buy a cheap bow and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecoldkiller View Post
    I thought that's what you meant with your first post, and can see your thinking and yes it does make sense on form and instinctive shooting. Still a lot of difference in the two draw weight, yardage and size of equipment. Buy a cheap bow and find out.
    I think i'm going to get a bear recurve probably after Christmas haven't had a chance to look them over yet in person so its not set in stone. But one of the main reasons why I was wondering is because its cold out side and I think I would feel a bit more comfortable shooting a slingshot in the basement compared to a recurve. Don't want to put to many holes in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurken View Post
    Have you seen this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2pSSfW-WI I'm actually surprised it worked, he even used a mechanical broad head.
    I hadnt seen that one. Thanks for sharing

Sort of. Anchor, aiming, and consistant form translates decently from archery to catapultery (slingshot shooting). It just doesn't translate back very well. You don't have to deal with the bowstring, a clean string release, and the draw weight on a bow is triple that of a slingshot.
    Don't argue with results.