a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Deer Drag

Homemade Deer Drag

I made up a bunch of these and gave to hunting buddies. They are a great way to get a deer out of the woods, put loop around neck and bring them on out. handle is 1" pvc with caps on the ends, heavy duty 1/2" camo rope. Stick the handle through small loop to make neck loop.

Attached Images Attached Images

Good idea, i took an old treestand harness and then made rope to sinch around the deers neck. Throw the harness on and clip it to the rope and off you go. Works pretty well.

Yeah i had to use my belt in Georgia a couple weeks ago nd my hand was killingme after about 100 yards thrugh pine rows ha to come up with something a little easier.

That looks awesome!

You sewed the pieces of rope to each other?

happy hunting, dv

No actually wrapped electrical tape very tightly on the rope because i didn't have shrinkwrap. I tried dragging some very heahy stuff around with no signs of the rope pulling loose, much heavier than any deer i would ever drag. Will make some more when i get some 1" shrinkwrap.

Nice

I use basically the same thing. I use the PVC without the caps. I then just tie the rope into a big loop. You put it on the deer the same way. I'm going to make one with two pieces of PVC next so if a friend is around, maybe I'll have a hand draggin'.
    2008 Hoyt Katera XL-Easton Epic St 400's -Cobra Sidewinder-Bomar Stab-Fletchunter Release

I hear that the more hands the better !!!

Great ideal I'm going to make me one. How long did you make the rope?
    Quote Originally Posted by patterstdeer View Post
    I made up a bunch of these and gave to hunting buddies. They are a great way to get a deer out of the woods, put loop around neck and bring them on out. handle is 1" pvc with caps on the ends, heavy duty 1/2" camo rope. Stick the handle through small loop to make neck loop.
    2012 Strother Wrath
    HHA Optimizer Sight
    2in. Blazers on Goldtips
    Onestringer arrow wraps

Little Jon Bow Strings

After i got the handle done i added about another 6' then put the little loop on there.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman_27 View Post
    I'm going to make one with two pieces of PVC next so if a friend is around, maybe I'll have a hand draggin'.
    While dragging out a friend's deer with my drag rope this year he actually suggested I make him one so we could drag better together. Mine isn't as nice as patterstdeer, though.

happy hunting, dv

Hey that's a modified Glenn's deer handle. Wouldn't drag out a doe without it!
    2009 Hoyt Alphamax 35

That's kind of what mine looks like, but instead of PVC I used an old piece of rubber garden hose for the handle. Works great!
    Elite Synergy, B-Stinger, Dead Nuts Pro, Trophy Ridge Drop Zone, Beman ICS Hunters

Thank you Sir
    After i got the handle done i added about another 6' then put the little loop on there.
    2012 Strother Wrath
    HHA Optimizer Sight
    2in. Blazers on Goldtips
    Onestringer arrow wraps

Little Jon Bow Strings

Quote Originally Posted by skinny10 View Post
    Hey that's a modified Glenn's deer handle. Wouldn't drag out a doe without it!
    Exactly, I was wondering if anyone here has actually seen the product called " Glenn's Deer Handle" ?
    " Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
    Matthew 7:13-14

I had one for a couple years but acidently left it in a travel trailer when i sold it. I guess your talking about the one with the ski rope handle and the black nylon rope. It worked grat but the cheapest i could find one was about $25.00 and i could make these for a fraction of that. Bought 5' of pipe for $1.89 bought 10 caps for $3.00 and 40' of rope for $22.00 and 10 rolls of electrical tape for $10.00 and was able to make 5 of these.

Deer Drag

wouldn't you know it stopped at K Mart today and they had two Glenns Handles for $14.00 each !!

wouldn't you know it stopped at K Mart today and they had two Glenns Handles for $14.00 each !!
    This may is one of the best pieces of equipment you can have ( Glenns Deer Handle ). Mine has paid for itself 50 times over. It makes dragging soooo much easier. If you have 2 you and a buddy can make dragging a piece of cake.
    PASSTHRU ARCHERY - 828-273-2815
    Obsession /Athens / Xpedition Dealer
    Custom Bow Tuning
    Facebook.com/PassthruArcheryAshvl

I agree the Glenns handle is a great one had one three years ago and forgot it in a travel trailer when i sold it

instead of taping the nylon braided line together, you can actually untwist the end of the rope and the point where you want the loop to end and intertwine them together. then pull it tight and i promise you it wont come out, almost like it is supposed to be together. then i just use electrical tape to clean it up alittle.

If your rope has a hollow core,feed the end(burn threads together) into the core about 15" to make a loop.It does not pull out and it looks neat.

I like your DIY better. Deciding how I'm going to make (remake) mine...

happy hunting, dv

Well, I hope it might work well with snow ledges, though the rope seems to be quite strong it would be a nice tool for hunting in snow

That's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyvarmint View Post
    I like your DIY better. Deciding how I'm going to make (remake) mine...

happy hunting, dv
    We have a version of this...... Make the ropes a little longer and put heat to the PVC and bend it so it can fit on your shoulder. The bend helps keep the handle in place on your shoulder. Dont bend it to much.

One rope should be about three feet longer then the other so that when a buddy helps drag you can walk single file.....that way you can walk between close trees. One guy puts it on his right shoulder and the other puts it on his left shoulder.

Instead of tape just tie 4 or 5 knots in the rope. Leave enough room between the handle and the knot so you fit your shoulder in it. One drag is 4 feet long and the other is 7 feet. The added length stops the person in the back from kicking the front mans feet.

We have talked about adding pipe insulation to the handle to make them softer on your shoulder.
    2009 Katera XL
    She's a shooter

Pulled a 200 lb buck about 100 yds thru some nasty stuff worked great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast