Thread: Washington State crossbow hunters?

Washington State crossbow hunters?

Please pm me if you hunt with a crossbow in Washington. I hunt with a crossbow here as a resident but see the need for some changes in the game regs for crossbow use.
    I would appreciate hearing from you to discuss how to get some changes made.
    Thanks in advance.
    radebaugh03

Over 40 views and no replys.. Am I the only crossbow hunter in Washington?
    If I am, I guess I gotta try to get some changes made all by my lonesome..
    I want to see scopes, lighted nocks and expandables BH's all legal. Not a bad idea to use better aiming methods if eyesite is not perfect, to see the arrow in flight to determine if a hit or not is made, and to use broadheads that fly better than fixed heads.. These methods are legal in most states where crossbows are used and they should be legal here IMO..
    Any comments would be appreciated..
    radebaugh03

Crossbows should stay in gun season. Don't mess with any archery restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by elkchasin View Post
    Crossbows should stay in gun season. Don't mess with any archery restrictions.
    Apparently you did not read or understand the simple request. I asked for feedback from current crossbow hunters in Washington. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I don't give a rat's ass about it here. Put it where it belongs..

Quote Originally Posted by radebaugh03 View Post
    Apparently you did not read or understand the simple request. I asked for feedback from current crossbow hunters in Washington. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I don't give a rat's ass about it here. Put it where it belongs..
    In your last post you asked for any comments, I gave you one. Apparently mine is not the same as yours, dont get mad. State how you would do this without impacting those that want to keep the archery season from further cuts. The site is called archery talk it is easy to make the mental leap you want your string gun in archery season.

I was ina bad mood when i responed to your post. However, I stated pm me if you hunt with a crossbow. You apparently do not. The comments I addressed were about the use of scopes, lighted nocks and expandable broadheads. The thread was not meant to start another crossbow vs. vertical bow debate. I simply wanted to hear from current crossbow users so that we can ask for some changes in the regs. Obviously there are not many crossbow users that view this forum so I will reach them in other ways. It is only a matter of short time that crossbows will be legal during all archery seasons in most states.

I wish you luck with your crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by elkchasin View Post
    I wish you luck with your crossbow.
    Thank you. I am enjoying it very much while hunting here and in several other states during archery seasons.
    (And also a thank you for calling it a crossbow).
    I have hunted for 50 years with longbows, recurves compounds and now crossbows. My choice now is the crossbow of course. To each his own for sure, but all in it together..

Just a quick note. You can use scopes on crossbows in washington, and you can use a crossbow during archery season. You just have to be leagaly blind for the scope, and have a disabled hunters card for use of crossbow. Unfortunately the expandable issue will not be reviewed until the regulation changes for 2012 are. they only make changes for the archery regs. every 3 years, and the reason they did not pass expandables in 2009 was because the department contacted Some coasty orginazation called the Washington state bowhunters org. Don't take offense. The only reason I call them coasties is because there is no representative for bowhunters within this orginazation between Cle Elum and Idaho. Hopefully this information will help you out in your adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken nock View Post
    Just a quick note. You can use scopes on crossbows in washington, and you can use a crossbow during archery season. You just have to be leagaly blind for the scope, and have a disabled hunters card for use of crossbow. Unfortunately the expandable issue will not be reviewed until the regulation changes for 2012 are. they only make changes for the archery regs. every 3 years, and the reason they did not pass expandables in 2009 was because the department contacted Some coasty orginazation called the Washington state bowhunters org. Don't take offense. The only reason I call them coasties is because there is no representative for bowhunters within this orginazation between Cle Elum and Idaho. Hopefully this information will help you out in your adventure.
    Howdy,
    Thanks Broken Nock for the info. I do have a permit for crossbow use but also wanted to use a scope. I understand the current regs, but take issue with the fact that you almost have to be blind to use a scope. I am the typical person that after 45-50 years of age loses the ability to read without readng glasses. The practicality is, I cannot see a front pin sight to save my soul as the sight radius is too short on my crossbow and muzzleloader. So the game department has effectively handicapped me to make a humane and proper shot when shooting. That is just plain stupid. When any of us pull the trigger, whether gun, muzzleloader, vertical bow with release, or crossbow, the object is to make the best shot possible. Washington's regs prevent that as currently outlined..
    I do not take offense to the coasties term either. I am a central WA. guy and do know the difference. ha.. Thanks again for the info about time frames for changes..

I know it's frustrating, and the more info people have the better. Unfortunately there are to many people who do not understand that one day they will be in the same position. I have worked on crossbows for many disabled hunters, and I can care less how a hunter feeds his family. If we don't stick together sooner or later we may not have it.

... there is no representative for bowhunters within this orginazation between Cle Elum and Idaho.
    That is because for a long time now no one between Cle Elum and Idaho has bothered to step up to the plate and fill an empty board position.

budlee967

Please pm me if you hunt with a crossbow in Washington. I hunt with a crossbow here as a resident but see the need for some changes in the game regs for crossbow use.
    I would appreciate hearing from you to discuss how to get some changes made.
    Thanks in advance.
    radebaugh03
    I am a crossbow hunter as well. I would like to hear from you.

I know it's frustrating, and the more info people have the better. Unfortunately there are to many people who do not understand that one day they will be in the same position. I have worked on crossbows for many disabled hunters, and I can care less how a hunter feeds his family. If we don't stick together sooner or later we may not have it.
    Well said Broken nock. If we don't stand together and straighten things out between hunters. The anti's will make sure we fall...divided.
    Lord, I thank You for the opportunity to go out on the hunt. I thank You for the time alone to think and reflect on life. I thank You for the time with hunting friends, enjoying good fellowship, good stories, meals and drinks. Thank You for the beauty seen during the hunt and for the game taken and shared. I thank You especially for a safe hunt for myself and for all the hunters who share the field. AMEN.

It's not very well known, but you can use a crossbow in Firearm restricted areas that are open to hunting with a modern tag.

Most hunters don't take the time to read the hunting regs. on page 75 of the 2010 book under Firearm Restriction Areas this is the only thing I can come with for you
    We do teach this in our IBEP classes we do here in Wa.

Archery seasons are based on the premise of using a primative weapon. Archery guidelines are about maintaining the primative weapons status. The changes you would like to see, are not currently within those ideal guidelines. If your vision problems dictate you must use a scope to make a safe and humane shot, then that would have you hunting ( with your scoped cross bow ), during the modern firearm season. If you cannot see well enough to hunt without a scope, then you should no longer hunt during archery seasons. Its that simple, and a choice many others have made, and will have to make eventually, to continue hunting. Personal ethics and the best interest of the animals we hunt would prevent me from hunting with a bow if I could not see my site pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckfvr View Post
    Archery seasons are based on the premise of using a primative weapon. Archery guidelines are about maintaining the primative weapons status. The changes you would like to see, are not currently within those ideal guidelines. If your vision problems dictate you must use a scope to make a safe and humane shot, then that would have you hunting ( with your scoped cross bow ), during the modern firearm season. If you cannot see well enough to hunt without a scope, then you should no longer hunt during archery seasons. Its that simple, and a choice many others have made, and will have to make eventually, to continue hunting. Personal ethics and the best interest of the animals we hunt would prevent me from hunting with a bow if I could not see my site pins.

Oh I understand (not really) . Compound bows with 80% let offs, trigger activated release aids and hi soot multi pin sites etc are primitive? Apparently they are as the law permit their usage. What bull.
    Or is it that you prefer the longbow ( yeah that's primitive, but it would result in many more wounded animals (per hunter ratio). If you really want it primitive then I suppose we should all wear loin clothes and carry spears too!
    Look at the majority of other states and by any standards Washington game laws are simply ******ed when it comes to archery or black powder.They sure as heck do not support primitve hunting as some think it should be..

Oh I understand (not really) . Compound bows with 80% let offs, trigger activated release aids and hi soot multi pin sites etc are primitive?
    There's another question you can ask them when you ask them to let you use a scope and what ever else you like........I merely pointed out what they continue to say regarding all the things you want for your special needs. I dont make the rules, but I have asked plenty of questions.......

Question Clarification-

So let me get this straight.... I can hunt with my crossbow with a modern firearm tag in a firearm restricted area without being handicapped? Someone please show me some light at the end of this tunnel. I just purchased a Barnett jackal and a shytload of accesories to hunt with since I cant own a firearm legally only to have about 8 people tell me ill never be able to use it hunting, then when asking archery guys at the local range they all had a holier then thou additude with me when asking them questions. I also paid for and (luckily refunded) a yr membership at the local range only to find out they dont allow crossbows at the archery fields and they only offered me a 40 yrd stretch with a 5ft pile of sand to shoot at. someone please bare with my stupidity on the issue, not oly am I new to crossbows Im new to hunting as well. Mike in Tacoma Wa.

Quote Originally Posted by aguynamedmike View Post
    So let me get this straight.... I can hunt with my crossbow with a modern firearm tag in a firearm restricted area without being handicapped? Someone please show me some light at the end of this tunnel. I just purchased a Barnett jackal and a shytload of accesories to hunt with since I cant own a firearm legally only to have about 8 people tell me ill never be able to use it hunting, then when asking archery guys at the local range they all had a holier then thou additude with me when asking them questions. I also paid for and (luckily refunded) a yr membership at the local range only to find out they dont allow crossbows at the archery fields and they only offered me a 40 yrd stretch with a 5ft pile of sand to shoot at. someone please bare with my stupidity on the issue, not oly am I new to crossbows Im new to hunting as well. Mike in Tacoma Wa.
    With the way things are going, I am looking at getting a crossbow for hunting... SO I am doing a lot of research. I have been out of the hunting game for A LONG TIME, so when it comes to all the terms, I am as dumb as a blonde in a circle padded room looking for the corner.

My father in law (avid hunter) said I cant hunt with one, but reading 2012 BIG GAME SEASONS AND REGULATIONS PAMPHLET CORRECTIONS
    AS OF OCTOBER 12, 2012 (section Equipment and Hunting Methods) it seems to me that I can hunt WITH a crossbow as stated in the above quote. Am I right??? I have always been a modern firearm hunter (in my teen and early adult years) and really never got into archery until now. Its something I want to do. So, with all that said, in simple terms, how can I go about hunting with a crossbow and who do i need to contact if no one here as any answers.... Thank you for taking the time on this question and the stupidity of the questions.

Go to Fredmeyers store, pick up a game book, read the regs from front to back. Its confusing and makes me angry every time I read it. This is your best bet on answering any questions you have. Then if you still have questions I would recomend calling the Fish and Game department and ask them. But I would call two or three times and ask the same questions because you may get three diffrent answers. If you dont like the responce you have got, I recomend going to the nearest game department office, ask them your questions. Our state sucks as far as rules and regs, its all about money. Politics suck !