a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "First Compound Bow" (marketed) July 1967!!

Hello, Ihave been shooting since 1971, started with the jennings epoxy impregnated riser which I still have. It has the original (s hooks for string). If you would like to have this bow its yours just for the shipping. Thought you might like to have for your museum.
    Contact me thru e-mail scottbomar0413@sbcglobal.net

Very cool!

refrsh

I was just talking about this on another thread. I was at Busch wildlife outside of St. Louis when I was 11 or 12 when I saw A guy that had a bow with pulleys and wheels and after talking with him he claimed it was his invention.I'm 55 now.

model t

The unstrung hero of my youth. Given to me by my uncle who won the idaho barbow field championship with it. Shot the strings off of this thing learning to shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by love fingers View Post
    The unstrung hero of my youth. Given to me by my uncle who won the idaho barbow field championship with it. Shot the strings off of this thing learning to shoot.
    I had one of these model t's in the mid 70's.there was also a bow called kam act that was radical looking at that time.i saw 2 of them.a guy and his little brother had them
    safari hoyt ultratec,viper diamondback microtune sight,saunders hyper glide cable slide,limb driver arrow rest,wolfden bowstrings,
    sims stabilizer,whalen's pin-wheel hooker release,lifetime ibo member.many thanks to jason chapman,mike whalen and south shore archery

Interesting that the profile in the riser emulates the "bat wing" design popular in recurve bows of the day. The cover photo with the scouts shows this bat wing pattern in the recurve being leaned against. I remember the lines in these risers, very sculptural, lots of complex lamination integrated into the design.

I vaguely remember the introduction of the first compound designs . . . "What the hell is that all about ???" *LMAO* I didn't think it was a "fad" but more an indication of where technology was headed generally. And I expected technology would produce automobiles that look like space ships -- fins, grills that look like jet engine intakes -- and that eventually cars would fly. Hanna-Barbara was displacing The Flintstones with The Jetsons on TV. Robots were going to do all our work for us.

The illustrations here look like a hybrid of Boy's Life (Boy Scouts of America official monthly mag.) and Norman Rockwell.

-- But then I remember the release of "2001 A Space Odyessy" (1968) and fully expected we'd have a research colony on Mars by 2013.

In that vein, I suppose my take down, ILF recurve, foam carbon limbs, carbon composite arrows, cams, sights, D loop releases ARE pretty futuristic when looking back . . .

at age 60 now and been in archery since i was 10 maybe sooner lived next to a small bow shop ,hunted with recurves,got my first compound a allen in 1972, boy i thought i had the world by the butt ! seen it all it was great ! really liked my jennings bows,tried many brand bows over the years,hoyt has always made great bows,but now i really have come to like barnsdale bows not many of you may know but Dave Barnsdale has a lot of history himself in archery.have really enjoyed reading the history of the compound bow ,my dear friend who past away a few years ago Wayne Miller,from little falls,mn. a pro archer in the old days ,was very good friend`s with Tom Jennings who used to give Wayne a few custom target bows they were called model I target bows ,man were they nice looking !Wanye kinda wanted me to take one sure wished i would have now.

Well, I've got nothing better to do.

I've got one identical to the one in your pictures.But I believe mine was the first left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by gfm1960 View Post
    I had one of these model t's in the mid 70's.there was also a bow called kam act that was radical looking at that time.i saw 2 of them.a guy and his little brother had them
    Here's 2 Kam Acts. The black, green speckled is the camo of the day back then. The stabilizer is not a stabilizer. It's storage tube, factory, not home made. The target bow was found in a garage, totally covered with spray paint and bird droppings....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

So far on this thread, there hasn't been a single mention of the OLYMPUS compound bow that came about right in the middle of the Allen vs. Jennings era of the later 1960's to early 1970's. I find this rather surprising, what with the number of archers so far on this thread that have been around the block more than once...hahahaha.
    I'm thinking that Terry Ragsdale was shooting an Olympus Compound bow and won several shoots in Texas and the southwest Section in the very early 1970's with his Olympus?
    Olympus compound bow.JPG
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

yes i remember the Olmypus Compound bow watch Terry Ragsdale in Minnesota win the men`s pro release free style division with a 300,wayne miller won the pro finger free style division with his target model S-handle jennings with a 295 "first arrow he missed the target", i believe the year was 1977 in march.back in those years the pro finger division was fun to watch and was the one everyone wanted to win but now days its all pro release division , not many finger shooters left. here in Minnesota the star tribune back in the late sixties front page had the famous Jim Poen`s picture with caption saying worlds greatest archer holding his wing recurve and target he shot a perfect 300 and that was with fingers.i have been very lucky to have got to meet with these great archers, all were perfect gentlemen also. seems these years are just are moving to fast and i am getting slower !

You goin to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete53 View Post
    yes i remember the Olmypus Compound bow watch Terry Ragsdale in Minnesota win the men`s pro release free style division with a 300,wayne miller won the pro finger free style division with his target model S-handle jennings with a 295 "first arrow he missed the target", i believe the year was 1977 in march.back in those years the pro finger division was fun to watch and was the one everyone wanted to win but now days its all pro release division , not many finger shooters left. here in Minnesota the star tribune back in the late sixties front page had the famous Jim Poen`s picture with caption saying worlds greatest archer holding his wing recurve and target he shot a perfect 300 and that was with fingers.i have been very lucky to have got to meet with these great archers, all were perfect gentlemen also. seems these years are just are moving to fast and i am getting slower !

I think Bobby Hunt won the NFAA nationals with an olympus . The first 300 I saw was Jim Ploen shooting a Herters recurve Off of a Finishing nail for an arrow rest
    . It was at hall's archery in cT.
    Mike LePera
    Britesite.US

It was about 1967 that I bought a Jennings 4-wheeler from Glenn St Charles in South Seattle. People laughed at me for toting all that machinery around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12