a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Ohio Shawnee National Forest

Ohio Shawnee National Forest

Anyone hunt the Shawnee National Forest if so how much pressure does it receive? How rough is the terrain? What kind of a chance does one have to get a big rack?

Nobody hunts it-almost zero pressure. It is not flat terrain kid. You will have a 77% chance for a Booner, and a 93% chance for a Poper. Just walk into the woods and sit down-they will come

its doesn't get much pressuer but the terrian is nasty...thick and steep. They also have an early muzzloader season that usually runs the last week of Oct.

I have friends that have hunted the Shawnee for quite a few years. They said it has been good up until this year. They said this year that the number of non-resident vehicles there looked like a Walmart parking lot during the week of Christmas.

Does the woods contain good areas for tree stands for bowhunting or is it too thick? Can hang on stands be used with screw in steps or climbing sticks? Are trees suitable for climbing stands? Thanks for all the replies, i'm considering a trip next season.

letoff - Hang ons with straps and climbing sticks ok, but not screw in steps - not on public land! Go to Shawnee this time of the year and you will have it all to yourself.
    Study up rules and regs on this ODNR website, and welcome in advance! Bring some of that NC $$$ right on up here!

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/...2/Default.aspx
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

We say "Merry Christmas", so Merry Christmas to all

like others have said, it is rough terrain, but it doesnt get alot of pressure. no doubt that you will find suitable trees for climbers. If your healthy and in good shape, walk in and walk some more. you will be alone in the woods with some big ohio white tail. good luck!

jason

Quote Originally Posted by letoff View Post
    Anyone hunt the Shawnee National Forest if so how much pressure does it receive? How rough is the terrain? What kind of a chance does one have to get a big rack?
    come on up great place to bowhunt..not so much for gun hunting...(i hear)never gun hunt.....bring a buddy or two ,lots of cash & have a great time.
    stephen J.Bear...

Thanks for the replies. Are there any places to stay without having to drive along ways? When you say rough terrain what do you mean? Are there any trails to use or is it all wilderness? I'm sure ATV's are not allowed (RIGHT). Thanks again

My wifes uncles and grandfather go out every year for archery from PA.. they bring back some nice bucks, never see a ton of deer but always a few good ones. I think I might tag along this year, gonna take a break from NY next year, this year was just aweful up there for the group I hunt with.

When would be the best time to go October or November? What kind of a chance would a NC boy have to find some private land to hunt or do i need to stick to the Shawnee land.

Quote Originally Posted by letoff View Post
    When would be the best time to go October or November? What kind of a chance would a NC boy have to find some private land to hunt or do i need to stick to the Shawnee land.
    It never hurts to knock on doors if you have the time to go early, but without being prepared to lease Id stick with public. Dont over look West Virginias bow only counties either theres a good amount of public land to hunt there as well. very similar in terrain

what is the best public land to hunt in ohio

No more advice good or bad?

The terrain is extremely rugged. Once you get to the top of the ridges(which is definitely a job) you have to deal with the multiflora rose which is a thorny vine from hell....think barbed wire. There are bridle trails and hiking trails throughout the forest. You will probably see some horseback riders or hikers depending on where you hunt. On the weekends there are also boy scouts and geo caching people running around.

You will not see very many deer, but if you do your homework you will possibly see a nice one. There is so much land there it can be overwhelming, you have to put in the boot leather. Read Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon the info in that book is priceless.

I would also consider Brush Creek state forest and Wayne national forest Ironton district. There is a campground right in the middle of Shawnee state forest that is nice.

You can rent a cabin in the state park, or you can stay at the campground right in the state park also. There are some good bucks in there if you want to do the work. It's not an easy hunt, it's all work. You can get away from the people if you are willing to do the work. The first year or two will be a big learning curve.

Have fun