a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Accuracy: Longbow or Recurve

Accuracy: Longbow or Recurve

Which one is more accurate? I have been shooting a recurve for about three years now, I want to get another bow, thinking about getting a longbow instead of recurve...what is more accurate, longbow or recurve. Also, what are some pros and cons of the longbow vs. recurve

Hoyt Vectrix
    Quinn Stallion Classic
    Quinn Comet XL
    "Hunting inside a fence, think about it, that's an oxy-moron" flyboy718

at 10 paces or 11?

Quote Originally Posted by lovebumper_2020 View Post
    at 10 paces or 11?
    uuuuhhhh...20-25 yards max.
    Hoyt Vectrix
    Quinn Stallion Classic
    Quinn Comet XL

Granola CA What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes
    Given properly set up bows and properly tuned arrows, accuracy is up to the nut behind behind the wheel. BUT there are some things that can make accuracy easier to achieve with a recurve. For the sake of simplicity we'll leave out wood arrows and assume that both bows will be using a synthetic shaft. If we're just shooting off the shelf then there is no reason that they can't both be equally accurate. The recurve may weigh a little more which helps, but usually that is an advantage that doesn't show up until one becomes at least a decent shooter. The recurve will generally have a larger arrow pass/sight window area which can help. In the past most longbows weren't cut to centershot, but now it is possible find longbows built that way. Recurves have been built that way for quite some time. The closer the cut to center, tuning becomes easier. If we're not limitting ourselves to shooting off the shelf, and can go to a recurve with a metal riser, an elevated rest, plunger button, stabilizers, and a sight, things generally not found on longbows, then the recurve begins to pull ahead in the accuracy department. But then it is beginning to become a function of the accessories.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Bender has covered a lot with his post, For a Recurve and Longbow with the same Trad set up and arrows with 3D distances it's more about the Archer, you will see a difference in scores on an IFAA Field course as the distances are much longer.

I made the switch from Longbow to Recurve middle of this year, what I noticed during practice and comparing the two Bows (same arrows) was on the longer shots I get slightly tighter and more consistent groups with the Recurve, without a direct comparison it would be hard to see, it was pretty even till I got past 40 yards then the Recurved started to edge ahead.

When I lived in the UK the assoc I belonged to had a Recurve Div that shot wood arrows, myself and 3 other Longbows outshot the Top Recurves in National competition afew times, it's hard to make a truel comparison with top shooters but the two divisions had roughly the same number of competitors so if you took the average scores between the two divisions the Recurve average was ALWAYS much higher.

I also have to agree with Steve and Bender. There's a reason why Olympic archers use a recurve rather than a longbow.

Ultimately it is the archer that determines how accurate they can be...but there can be small advantages pertaining to equipment that makes achieving better accuracy a little easier and can add a few points here and there.

There's really no such thing as a particular bow turning a 'so so' archer into a great archer.

Great archers are made by developing near flawless consistantcy and unwaivering concentration.

Ray

at 25 yards or less for hunting purposes it shouldn't make any difference I shoot both and go back and forth without any problem. I was strictly a recurve guy for about 30 years until Dan Quillian convinced me to try his reflex deflex designed longbows and now thats my bow I hunt with 90% of the time.

Like recurves all long bows are not identical so you might want to do some home work and try to shoot some different designs.

For hunting they seem easier to shoot and quieter to me but that might be my imagination, shooting it did feel odd at first.

I am rambling so just try some and see, you can always resell them.

Guys,

Thanks for the excellent post's, this is exactly the info I was looking for...I will be using it for hunting at 25 yards and in, I doubt I will ever take a shot at 25.
    Hoyt Vectrix
    Quinn Stallion Classic
    Quinn Comet XL