Thread: Peep sight location?

Peep sight location?

I am new to bow hunting and want to get into setting up my own bow, so I have a question. How do you determine the peep sight location? Thanks

I believe the "standard" length from the nocking point to the peep is about 5.5". That's a good place to start and then just adjust from there accordingly.

On a new bow (different string angle) I usually close my eyes and draw the bow back. When I'm at my normal anchor point I open my eyes and have someone mark the string where my line of sight naturally lines up. Might have to move it a tic up or down from that initial starting point but it will be very close.

After I get a bow set up I'll take measurements of the nocking point and peep location if I'm going to change the string.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503 View Post
    On a new bow (different string angle) I usually close my eyes and draw the bow back. When I'm at my normal anchor point I open my eyes and have someone mark the string where my line of sight naturally lines up. Might have to move it a tic up or down from that initial starting point but it will be very close.

After I get a bow set up I'll take measurements of the nocking point and peep location if I'm going to change the string.
    Bingo...draw the bow eyes closed and come to a consistent anchor...when you open your eyes the peep sight should be perfectly aligned. If it isn't, then slide it up or down accordingly.

Thanks guys I knew I would get some good answers. This web site provides great information. Make you wonder what we did before the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Thanks guys I knew I would get some good answers. This web site provides great information. Make you wonder what we did before the internet.
    Trial and error

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Bingo...draw the bow eyes closed and come to a consistent anchor...when you open your eyes the peep sight should be perfectly aligned. If it isn't, then slide it up or down accordingly.
    Agreed, by far the best way
    Natures Essence

It won't be the same for every archer. You will have to draw the bow and see where you are at a comfortable anchor point. It helps if you have someone tie a string to the bow string while at full draw. Then press your bow, and slip the peep in between the bow string. Then slide it up or down till it feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503 View Post

Best way to do it

I use a kisser button 1" above the nock center point, then the peep goes in line with my eye based on the kisser being in the corner of ny mouth. Kisser button helps me anchor more precisely.
    Bowtech Tribute LH (Black Marble)
    Hoyt Magnatech LH
    Darton Exciter (Wife's Bow)