Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming General Elk Tags? Help?

Wyoming General Elk Tags? Help?

I am determined to go elk hunting next year and I am trying to start planning on where I should go in Wyoming. I have one year preference so i figured i will be drawn for the general tag.

I have been looking a lot at the Units and I see alot start in October. I was wondering when the Elk rut generally runs in Wyoming? I plan on archery hunting mainly but might go back with a rifle if unsuccessful.

I was wondering if anyone can point me to a good unit to check out. This will be my first elk hunt and I have to avoid Wilderness areas bc i dont want to hire a guide and i plan on backpacking in.

I was kinda leaning towards 36 and 37 , 98, 102,102, 107, 128,( 129 i like the sept 1 start date.) But i honestly dont know much about these units. Any info i would greatly appreciate.

I posted this on another site and a member stated there were alot more units than 129 with an early sept start date. He used unit 29 as an example. But all the info i could find on the wyoming DNR site showed Oct 15 for that unit. What am i missing? Is there a link i couldnt find for other start dates?

Thank you for any information, hopefully i can finally chase some elk next fall.

I don't know the unit # but the Rattlesnake Mtn range is pretty awsome !

generally the rut starts in early september and runs for about a month with the peak of the rut right around the 15-25 of september in every part of the state!
    almost every archery start date is september 1st through the end of the month

if i was in your shoes i would put in for a general tag and spend the rest of the year deciding on where you want to hunt. there are great general liscence areas all over the state it just depends on what your limitations are.
    how long do you plan to hunt?
    do you plan on hiking in the back country

Robin, yes i plan on applying and I should draw and spend the rest of the time studying maps and success rates to narrow down the unit i want to concentrate as well has any info i can get here.

I plan on hiking in but i am adaptable i will try to be out there 5 to 9 days with maybe a return rifle hunt if needed. This will be my first elk hunt and first backpack trip i do plan to visit in the summer to scout and test gear etc. I am 25 in decent shape but not great plan on working out all summer but i am not use to the mountains so those are my limitations. So the wilderness areas and near wilderness (extreme) areas are proabably out. But i wont ruel them out.

I just want a unit with good access and decent numbers with decent bulls. i am going for the expierence and something to build of for years after. Yes i would like an antlered bull but to say i want a trophy i know its possible and i can but i probably wont be that picky for my first year.

Quote Originally Posted by gethuntin View Post
    Robin, yes i plan on applying and I should draw and spend the rest of the time studying maps and success rates to narrow down the unit i want to concentrate as well has any info i can get here.

I plan on hiking in but i am adaptable i will try to be out there 5 to 9 days with maybe a return rifle hunt if needed. This will be my first elk hunt and first backpack trip i do plan to visit in the summer to scout and test gear etc. I am 25 in decent shape but not great plan on working out all summer but i am not use to the mountains so those are my limitations. So the wilderness areas and near wilderness (extreme) areas are proabably out. But i wont ruel them out.

I just want a unit with good access and decent numbers with decent bulls. i am going for the expierence and something to build of for years after. Yes i would like an antlered bull but to say i want a trophy i know its possible and i can but i probably wont be that picky for my first year.
    Yes, the WY laws are a bit confusing at first. One thing you need to be aware of is that as a NR, you cannot hunt a designated wilderness area without a guide. Crazy, but it's true.
    Mathews Drenalin and Switchback XT
    Easton Axis
    G5 Strikers

Just keep in mine that the north west WY is Grizz & Wolf country,so if you don't want to deal with that you would have to look elsewhere,when you find an area or specific unit call the local game&fish dep. and ask for the elk biologist to get some specifics on the elk herd and habitat(I've done it many times)and be patient for the return call, they do call back. Good luck to you, WY is a great state for Elk.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I have 3 general vacinities i am concentrating on SW corner 98 102 103 105 107 106. Is there wolves and grizzlies in this area?

South Central 9 10 12 15 110 21, 128 (little north)

And NE closest to home for me 129 36 37. 128 i see 35-37 has the Sept 15 archery season kinda a bummer.

Yes very general areas LOL

what your missing here on the october 15 start in most of those areas, you can bowhunt the last half of september on the same tag. keep reading the regs youll find it. 36 and 37 are both that way.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

Ttt

ttt

Anyone, i am not asking for a trailhead, just a good unit with public ground and more elk than wolves LOL. Kidding aside i am leaning towards South Central or North Central (bighorns) Looking at the the units i haveto ask is there much for public ground in unit 129 and is there much of an elk heard?

Area 98 will have a few wolves, there isn't a pack down that far. No grizzlies to worry about. Find big sandy trailhead or sweetwater trailhead. good elk numbers down there and hardly any wilderness.

good luck on your decision and remember if you draw the general. You can go about anywhere, to keep your options open.

Thank you 71, might have to check it out.

ttt

The bighorns around the Elk View Inn is a good area with good elk numbers.

Thanks lefty the more i think about i may have to lean towards hunting the bighorns, its 2 to 3 hours closer than the next nearest clump of general units and 7 hour drive for me. If i get aqcuainted with the area i might have a spot to go for years to come and get to go more often with it being closer. Anyone else know much on this area?

the "special archery" season dates are not listed in the NR app booklet. They are listed in the "regulations".

page 13:
    http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/regulati...7_04262010.pdf

Ttt

Most archery seasons open sept. 1 With a Gen. tag your options are limited to how far you want to drive.
    You have the chance of seeing a Wolf or Grizzle bear in all areas. There will be wolf packs in areas this fall that don't have them today.
    The bears seem to follow for clean up duty. The Bighorns have there share of both. Are you going alone? Please tell us you have a buddy.Success rates have been good over the last few years in spite of the warm temps. Enjoy your hunt and Good Luck!!
    Operator of "The cutest little archery shop in Wyoming"

Who knew this is where we would be the first time somebody stretched a string on a stick.

I will have pepper spray being you never know when you will run into one and where. I will be going alone, all my hunting buds dont want to burn up vacation or spend the money on something that doesnt seem possible (DIY elk hunt). I am only 24 but have been dreeming about elk hunting before i shot my first deer and with my daughter getting older I just have to go for it for once and stop saying next year.

Only disadvantage to going it alone is calling set up and twice the number of trips to pack out. Do you have a point going into this year? Or are you entering the special draw?
    -Nick

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

It is a lot harder but very possible to do it on your own. I have been on numerous trips alone in bear and wolve ridden territory and had the time of my life! I can't wait to get back out there! Good luck!
    Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

-Getting close to game undetected and maintaining self control while delivering a well placed shot are the true keys to bowhunting success." -M.R. James

Elk

Quote Originally Posted by archeryshot View Post
    Just keep in mine that the north west WY is Grizz & Wolf country,so if you don't want to deal with that you would have to look elsewhere,when you find an area or specific unit call the local game&fish dep. and ask for the elk biologist to get some specifics on the elk herd and habitat(I've done it many times)and be patient for the return call, they do call back. Good luck to you, WY is a great state for Elk.
    I have taken a couple of bulls in WY, do not go to the NW part of the state, have very good friends there, say the wolves and grizzlies have decimated the herd!

I always enjoy either the Elk Mountain in the SE part of the state out of Wheatland or the Big Horn area. There are a lot of locals relocating their hunting from around Yellowstone to the Big Horn region.

DT

z79 yes i have a preference but am kinda thinking of finding a unit or option to draw without using it. Hoping to draw 117 someday.

so i might be trying to save some more cash and apply for 2nd choice general special tag. just dont know yet.

Jared nice avatar pic, how was your season? I enjoying looking at all your trophies at the Rapid City Scheels store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast