Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow press fingers

Bow press fingers

Is it not allowed for anyone to make and sell bow press fingers?
    I have seen in a thread that an unnamed company has contacted ppl about selling them.
    I have made and sold a few sets to ppl I know locally.
    Whats up?
    Don.

I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

I would like to know myself. I can't see how the fingers would be under a patent law being that there are numerous different configurations.

I was contacted by last chance archery after i started selling them here and was formally sent a letter from a atty. with a order to cease production or i would be sued. So i stopped. The patent not only patents the design but also the process in wich the fingers are used so it doesnt matter what you change in the design if its used at the end of the limb to press the limbs its covered.

Quote Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
    I was contacted by last chance archery after i started selling them here and was formally sent a letter from a atty. with a order to cease production or i would be sued. So i stopped. The patent not only patents the design but also the process in wich the fingers are used so it doesnt matter what you change in the design if its used at the end of the limb to press the limbs its covered.
    Man, I wouldn't think that could stand. A patent on how they are used?? I don't blame you for not fooling with it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dw'struth View Post
    Man, I wouldn't think that could stand. A patent on how they are used?? I don't blame you for not fooling with it, though.
    I know its been discussed 1oooo's of times here but it is what it is

Was it any kind of device that pushed on the end of the limbs or was it just fingers?
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot

How about the BowMaster Bow press the application is the same you are pressing the end of the limbs, i think what Last Change archery's doing is stop the sell of home made fingers because they loosing revenue. Why should we buy their expensive press while we the public can make one for a lot less cost. So if i design my own fingers and not sell it but share the process in making one would i get a letter from them?????IMO

fingers

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    How about the BowMaster Bow press the application is the same you are pressing the end of the limbs, i think what Last Change archery's doing is stop the sell of home made fingers because they loosing revenue. Why should we buy their expensive press while we the public can make one for a lot less cost. So if i design my own fingers and not sell it but share the process in making one would i get a letter from them?????IMO
    i went and looked at his patent's he filed two of them , the last one Jan of this yr 2010
    in general a patent is good for 20 yrs . he never filed the fingers but they are clearly part of his patent and in his last patent he filed he does call them by name fingers . it would be nice if he would go ahead and just market the fingers for the DIY folks in the USA ,
    there will always be people making their own product to save themself either time or money , i have to give him credit either it was his idea on the press or he took it form some other DIY person and ran with it and files a patent on it . as long as there is no product (finger) put on the market for sale by name in the USA then you should be safe as no money has crossed hands for a product . I'm not a lawyer so dont take my comment here as fact im just assuming it . i went and looked at his press it is in the upper price range in the press market that's out there .
    http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/7...tml#show-page2

but there will always be fingers made and some will even be on the market for resale
    it just the American way we are DIY by nature
    have a good day and press on

i dont remember what board i was on a hunting or fishing board but some one was selling 4 pcs of scrap steel (junk), damn things were drilled and threaded even "" lol ""
    We the unwilling , led by the unknowing
    are doing the impossible , for the ungrateful
    we have done so much with so little for so long
    that we are qualified to do anything with nothing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHxTWOKvgM

if read carefully someone can find a way around any patent. the wording in them has to be specific so they do not get a blanket to cover everything that could even remotely connected to it. one only needs to find the flaw.

Good luck I read it and it seems pretty vague to me. but I hope someone finds away around it since it seems they aren't overly interested in licensing (their) the idea. I'm also frustrated by their lack of low cost options. $600 dollars is a lot to pay for a press, they are nice and I have no doubt the number of hours that go into making one warrants that price but the design level is clearly for pro-shops and really more than Harry homeowner needs. Make an inline like mine and don't paint it and sell it for 200.00 at least archers would then have a choice.

Oh and don't be too angry with them in order to benefit from the patent they must defend any intrusion that can be proven they know about. Failure to defend can cause their patent to be infringed. If I went through the trouble of getting a patent I would want to profit from it. The difference is I would likely license the hell out of it. Get paid for doing literally nothing.
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

So is this guy in with Apple Archery? Cause they are now using the same "finger" design. I think it's bs. They are probably trying to stiff arm the little guys.

Let's call them "Toes". Now can I get a set???

now I wish I would have bought a set two years ago when they were everywhere for cheap.

Do you think it would fly if someone built them for ppl and didn't sell them? The ppl that get the fingers could just send a donation to the person that made the fingers.
    Can't get in trouble for patent infringment that way.
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by mbw View Post
    So is this guy in with Apple Archery? Cause they are now using the same "finger" design. I think it's bs. They are probably trying to stiff arm the little guys.
    The only one he will liscense to is apple. I had a design specifically for the destroyers all drawn up with some interest in purchasing, when I got the same letter from him. I asked about liscensing as a possibility. I was pretty much told they only deal with apple, and that my design was useless and was worthless. I to wish someone could find the loophole and exploit it!
    TRU-FLIGHT CUSTOM ARROWS LLC
    Dealer for the following great products: Victory, Black Eagle Arrows, Harvest Time, Bohning, Spot-Hogg, Trophy Taker, Muzzy, Vantage Point, S4 Gear, Blacks Creek Guide Gear, Rip-Cord,
    ASAT CAMO, Vendetta Stabilizers, MT. Black Gold
    NEW BREED STAFF

Quote Originally Posted by lkmn View Post
    The only one he will liscense to is apple. I had a design specifically for the destroyers all drawn up with some interest in purchasing, when I got the same letter from him. I asked about liscensing as a possibility. I was pretty much told they only deal with apple, and that my design was useless and was worthless. I to wish someone could find the loophole and exploit it!
    You should talk to a patent attorney if your serious. I'm pretty sure ther would be a way to build a slightly different style without infringement.

Ya'll all seem upset with someone having a great idea and wanting to profit from it. I don't understand. Before Leon's Last Chance press no press looked anything like this. At the first ATA show in Atlanta his booth was packed with people checking out his new design. It was revolutionary. I respect that. I know several people that have come up with great archery innovations only to be copied by everyone and their brother and never even break even on a product.... all the R&D, all the trial and error. I like to tinker as much as the next guy.... Sure you can copy it easily and cheaply once it comes to market but do you have the $1000s of dollars wrapped up in creating the very first one? So we have a person, a really nice guy, came up with an idea, built it, put together a staff of folks to help polish it, work out kinks, patent it, market it, so in my opinion he has the right to make a lot of money off this very good idea!

I like that he is profiting from it. I applaud him, I encourage him and I think it is a great idea!
    I would like him to earn a lot more money by licensing the idea so we could see some more innovation and better pricing. I'm sure Mr. Allen made a tone of money with the compound bow patent but I don't think he made any bows past the early 80's
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Classy comeback. And I agree with you.... If you can make one, make one. Copy away.... However, if you make one and try to sell it then you have to pay the piper... which is what this thread was all about.
    Last edited by Big Country; December 30th, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: removed quote of deleted post...

Very well explain!!!

OK so no one commented on these two things... Make them and paten them as toes... or Teeth... Heck why not name them Talons... That would be sweet!! Now the next step would be to start a DIY fund! People could invest money... 75 bucks... and recieve a free set of Talons. We could donate 5% of the extra money in the DIY fund to a charity! Like the Semper Fi fund or something... Whats the consensis here
    Uncle Sams Misguided Children
    Christian's Taxidermy
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Team #30 Carbon Injection

I guess that one guy has all the market wrapped for stabilizers then too. Wow! The problem is not in his design or patent. It is in his selfishness to license. He should offer parts for sale here in the US. If he does not then people will continue to make them and even sell them. Patents are nice, but very expensive and very vague. Personally it is not worth the trouble to prove one wrong on a small scale.
    " Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
    Matthew 7:13-14

In reading that patent, it would appear the issue is in how the fingers are manipulated. If you had some other form of attachment, I don't think he'd have a case. Oh, and I have just the design in my head too...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from GA View Post
    Ya'll all seem upset with someone having a great idea and wanting to profit from it. I don't understand. Before Leon's Last Chance press no press looked anything like this. At the first ATA show in Atlanta his booth was packed with people checking out his new design. It was revolutionary. I respect that. I know several people that have come up with great archery innovations only to be copied by everyone and their brother and never even break even on a product.... all the R&D, all the trial and error. I like to tinker as much as the next guy.... Sure you can copy it easily and cheaply once it comes to market but do you have the $1000s of dollars wrapped up in creating the very first one? So we have a person, a really nice guy, came up with an idea, built it, put together a staff of folks to help polish it, work out kinks, patent it, market it, so in my opinion he has the right to make a lot of money off this very good idea!
    Very well said and enuff said cause right now I'm in the middle of building and marketing a khevulay Silverado.

By the way, have the old steel fingers for an EZ for sale.....$40 to your door.

Guess I've been out of the loop...you mean that NO ONE is allowed to sell a bow press that uses an attachment mechanism like fingers except Last Chance and Apple?? There are no other press manufacturers using something similar?

If so, then someone ought to come up with an easy way to make some (no plasma or torch or water jet or CNC cutting) to give us DIY guys additional options when making a press. Like square rod, heated with a plumbing torch and hammered over in a vise or something easy like that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast