Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to hunt hogs in Oklahoma

Where to hunt hogs in Oklahoma

I'm looking for a place to take my kids on a hog hunt in Oklahoma - I might add, one at a time, so I'll need 3 hunts. I've been Googling for a place to take them, and it appears that on the commercial end it will cost at least $500-700 for the weekend for 2 people, and a lot of these charge trophy fees. This is too much for me. I tried to hunt public land late last year, and it was a disaster: one guy tried to set up his blind not more than 20 yards from me, and then a couple guys walked across the field close to us late in the day. There are other stories, but it may not be so bad since deer season will be over. Does any one have any ideas for some good bang-for-the-buck hog hunting places? I keep hearing how hugs are such a nuisance here in Oklahoma, so I figured there's bound to be a good way to tackle the problem more cost effectively.

Thanks

Call Matt and Cheryl at Shiloh Hunting Camps, they might be able to help ya out with the kids. You would have an almost 100% shot opportunity over a feeder and the kids would have a blast.

You can reach them @ 1-580-265-4462.
    55#/28.5"/Blacked out D340/Blk Octane hunter/LD Pro/Blk Tight Spot/Axcel Pro 5pin/ Axis 340s/Steelhead 125s = Deadly
    "Why we hunt is more important than when, where, or how" - Gene Wensel
    2014-15 AT deer contest Team Tall Tines

Second what ILLbucknut said. Give Matt & Cheryl a call. Best of luck.

giarcher Guest
    Just got back from hunting Shiloh Ranch last night. Great place and you won't find better ranch owner/operators than Matt and Cheryl. I must have saw 70+ hogs while on stand and everyone in camp had plenty of shot opportunities. Call them fast because they are booking into 2012 already! I'm eating fresh pork sausage tonight!

GI, nice hog. Congrats!

http://stuartranch.com/outfittingdivision.html

I'm going to try this place here out in a few months...

giarcher,
    Glad to see you got a good one!
    Sure hated it that Highball and I had to cancel out on this hunt. The weather appeared to be perfect for hunting.
    We may try again later.
    Congrats once again!!!
    PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE RISING COST IN AMMO PRICES I WILL NO LONGER BE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

I see your in Edmund, OK and are close to both shiloh hunting ranch as well as All about u ranch. (allabouturanch.com) All about u ranch is in Paul's Valley, Ok while shiloh is near ada, ok. I hunted at shiloh three years ago...they have a ton of hogs. However it is not free range and is more like a petting zoo. I had several hogs within 10 yards as I was walking down the trail as well as several of the other "exotics." If your looking for a quick kill then by all means go to shiloh. However, my next hunting trip will be at the "allabouturanch." James West is a stand up guy and for 450.00 you can hunt 2 days and kill 2 hogs with no trophy fees.

At shiloh you can kill 1 hog but if you want another hog then they charge you 1.50 a pound live weight. As well as 1 hog for 325.00...So for instance...you kill a 100 lb hog you get charged 150.00. Add in the 325+150.00 then you've paid 475.00 plus other expenses. Meals at shiloh are extra and at allabouturanch you can kill two hogs of any size for 450.00 which includes two meals a day. Now for me I like the idea of hunting 9000 acres of free range or I can go to their shooting/petting zoo. I don't know the size of their preserve, but for me I will hunt the 9000 acres. Also you can bring your child for free if they don't hunt...or at a discounted price. I am planning on going back to Oklahoma for another hog hunt, and when I do I'll go to allabouturanch.com.

giarcher Guest
    If you decide on All About U Ranch in Paul's Valley, I highly recommend Bob's Pig Shop for lunch.

http://bobspigshop.com/index.html

I've been to 10 Different Operations in Tx. & Ok. Bowhunting Hogs & Shiloh is by far the best I have been to for seeing Hogs in the DAYTIME. Petty zoo it is not but to each his own. the Hunting is excellent & no finer people than Matt & Cheryl..Many places, with pressure the hogs are nocturnal & they allow night hunting.
    Always Thankful

Ahunter55...I will explain why I stated that to me Shiloh is a petting zoo where you can shoot an animal without having to work to hard doing it.

Let me explain...Matt and Cheryl have 400 acres with several feeders that go off at the same time. This alerts the other animals that dinner time is there...this to me just helps the animals associate that humans feed them.

I hunted there with a friend and he killed a hog with a gun (he doesn't bowhunt) and shortly after killing the hog there was a bigger hog come in and try and eat the dead hog. That hog ran away when my friend came down from the stand. However there was several exotics that refused to leave the feeder because it was dinner time.

My experience was the same. I walked the perimeter of the property and was able to get within several yards of those pigs. What really bothered me was when I was able to walk to within 10 FEET of several goats and other exotics. Now, there isn't anything wrong with that if that's the experience you want to have, but for me when I got to less than 20 yards of a different exotics that saw me walking and did not move. Well to me that just told me that this was going to be an easy hunt.

I will agree with you that Matt and Cheryl are great people and go out of their way to make your stay fun. I even stated to the OP that if he just wants to kill a hog or has a child to get their feet wet then this is the place for them.

Now, with the processing...I think we can agree to say that P and P processing is the place to go to have your kill processed. When I go back to Oklahoma I'll go with allabouturanch and drive the distance to P and P.

regards
    OCD

I've been looking at allabouturanch as well. Maybe we'll see each other there.
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).
    3rd BTN, 9th Marines---Semper Fi!!!
    2010 Elite Judge 70# @ 26"...415 grain arrow at 275 FPS for 69#'s of KE.
    67 1/4" Osage Self bow 51#'s @ 26"
    Paulie G. http://www.vortexoptics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rickson View Post
    http://stuartranch.com/outfittingdivision.html

I'm going to try this place here out in a few months...
    Stuart is the oldest ranch and is huge.

They are a ranch and the son's do the hunting more or less for fun.

My sister goes there all the time to work on their horses, said they are the nicest people you will ever meet.

I'm trying to get a date booked. I will be keeping everyone informed of my success. I plan on stand hunting one and trying to stalk another.

giarcher Guest
    OCD-

Not sure when you went to Shiloh but that was hardly my experience last week. I did see several hogs walking to the stand but could not get within 50 yards of them before they busted out of there. While on the stand and after the feeder went off, I was busted by several groups of hogs before a group finally came in just before dark. I also did not see a single exotic other than a fallow deer doe that is not allowed to be hunted. In fact, not a hunter in my group saw a single exotic animal and we all were busted by dozens of hogs trying to spot and stalk on our way to the stands. Feeders are extremely common in Oklahoma and I noticed the ranch your going to hunt uses them as well. 400 acres for a maximum of 8 bow hunters is hardly a petting zoo. Matt and Cheryl deserve better than that.

Your hunt was your hunt and mine was mine. Please just be open to the fact that not every hunt is the same. Enjoy your hunt at All About U Ranch and I hope you have a great hunt for what you are looking for.

Robert, John, Mike and Joe- thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to us and we appreciate you choosing to hunt with us.

In response to the other statments made above, I feel that we need to clarify why OCD-Bowhunter (aka Newhunter1…they are both the same person) has made the comments he has about Shiloh Ranch. I never would have brought this up, but since he’s chosen to defame our character by posting comments on various bulletin boards, I feel that both sides of this story really should be told. We had an incident here on the ranch December of 2007 involving this individual and since that time, he has publicly tried to dissuade folks from hunting with us.

On the first night of his hunt, Paul (OCD-Bowhunter/Newhunter1) shot and wounded a hog which was unrecoverable. Since this was his first bowhunt, we felt sorry for him and told him that he could continue to hunt and we would allow him to shoot a small”meat” hog for free. Instead, we awoke the next morning to the sound of gunshots on our property. We are primarily a bowhunting operation and we do not allow our bowhunters to hunt with guns, unless special arrangements have been made previously. On the rare occasion we do allow gun hunts, we require the hunters hunt only from our stands and allow no stalking, for safety reasons. Unbeknownst to us, OCD/Newhunter took a shotgun out and began stalking our ranch, shooting at multiple hogs while walking around our ranch (our other guests reported hearing eight shots, one of which was in such close proximity that he thought someone was shooting at him). In retrospect, we should have promptly shown this individual to the gate, but instead decided to “turn the other cheek” and allow him to finish out the hunt, for the sake of his companion who did not deserve to be punished for his son-in-law’s transgression. He apologized to us, which we sincerely appreciated, and we accepted his apology, allowing him to continue his hunt for the free meat hog. Then, to further betray our trust, instead of shooting a meat hog, this individual shot a big toothy, trophy boar of over 150 pounds! We were shocked that someone would show such disrespect after all we did for him, and then informed him that since he shot a second trophy hog, he would have to pay the $1.50 replacement fee that we normally charge for additional hogs shot.

For three years, we’ve sat quietly and read the negative comments and innuendos posted by this individual without responding. This time however, when we saw him posting under two different aliases, slandering our business and making up lies about his experience with us, we simply had to come forward with the truth. We work very hard to earn a good reputation by offering a good quality hunt for a fair price, and more importantly, by treating our guests with the honesty and respect they deserve. In this case, I feel we went above and beyond what was reasonable. Fortunately, this was an isolated incident which we will not allow us to become bitter or angry, but rather sympathetic toward an individual who has obviously been harboring much hatred over all this time.

I'm sorry we had to post all of this here, as we don't care to air our dirty laundry on the internet, but we felt the need to defend our honor in this case. Thank you again to all of the fine folks whom have hunted with us over the years. We certainly don't deserve all of the blessings you have been to us!

-Matt and Cheryl Napper/Shiloh Ranch Hunting Camp

I've never had any of those experiences with Hogs at Shiloh & as far as I know, whenever i've been there, neither have any of the other hunters. I don't go there to hunt anything else. As far as feeders going off, I'm sure there are TONs going off Whitetail Season in Ok. & Tx. since it is legal. Not my way of deer hunting for sure. I've been to places as big as 4000 acres & also free range places & i've yet to see any fence keep a hog in or out unless it's sunken. I know i've been to plenty & still Shiloh is my choice. A couple places I went you never saw a hog unless you hunted them at night, red light or feeder light-fun for some but not me. Like I said, it's everyones choice. I'm not going to debate with anyone about these things on a message board, if you want more correspondense/discussion feel free to PM me. You don't have to be a kid to have a great fun hunt at Shiloh, thats for sure...
    Always Thankful

Matt/Cheryl. I did not see your post until I pushed submit, we must have been typing at the same time.
    See you in June & God Bless you & yours..
    Always Thankful

We are heading to No Mercy Hunting in Oklahoma in March. Seems to be a pretty nice outfit. Does anyone have any experience at this ranch?

For whatever reason I cannot post on this thread as Newhunter1...so here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Napper View Post
    Robert, John, Mike and Joe- thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to us and we appreciate you choosing to hunt with us.

In response to the other statments made above, I feel that we need to clarify why OCD-Bowhunter (aka Newhunter1…they are both the same person) has made the comments he has about Shiloh Ranch. I never would have brought this up, but since he’s chosen to defame our character by posting comments on various bulletin boards, I feel that both sides of this story really should be told. We had an incident here on the ranch December of 2007 involving this individual and since that time, he has publicly tried to dissuade folks from hunting with us.

I think Matt that is where you are wrong. Yes I have told others to look at allabouturanch, but at no time did I say stay away from your operation. Also, the only person that I can recall that I ever said something to was someone on bowsite.com who asked me on the thread what happened at your ranch...I responded to him in a Private Message and not 1 hour later you called my home. I told you then what I am telling everyone now. Secondly, I would like for you to post where I have publicly defamed your character as well as operation. I don't believe I have.

On the first night of his hunt, Paul (OCD-Bowhunter/Newhunter1) shot and wounded a hog which was unrecoverable. Since this was his first bowhunt, we felt sorry for him and told him that he could continue to hunt and we would allow him to shoot a small”meat” hog for free. Ah yes...you and I spoke at my cabin because I stated that I took my shot and that I was done. You told me to go and shoot another meat hog...that is true. Now here is the kicker. At the very beginning our hunt you stated to me and my FIL that one of your more regualar guests ( I won't bring up his name but I figure he'll pop up in here) was basically your head guide and in your absence he was in charge. More on this later.

Instead, we awoke the next morning to the sound of gunshots on our property. We are primarily a bowhunting operation and we do not allow our bowhunters to hunt with guns, unless special arrangements have been made previously. Once again this is where you are wrong...I booked this hunt in December of 2006. I stated to you that my FIL would be hunting with a rifle and if that was ok. You agreed to it and we agreed to the added expense in the rifle hunt. I also asked you if I could bring my deer slug gun in case I wanted to switch to my shotgun. You told me verbatim that would be fine as long as I paid the difference in hunts. Something which you "forgot" On the rare occasion we do allow gun hunts, we require the hunters hunt only from our stands and allow no stalking, for safety reasons. Unbeknownst to us, OCD/Newhunter took a shotgun out and began stalking our ranch, shooting at multiple hogs while walking around our ranch (our other guests reported hearing eight shots, one of which was in such close proximity that he thought someone was shooting at him). This is true...as he came out to see if we had found the hog. Unfortunate and something that I thank God about for protecting him. That was my fault...I should have looked off to my right after your guide told me to once again shoot.

Now this is where we will disagree. I went out to the stand to hopefully find my hog or some trail...I asked your permission the night before and you gave that to me as no one else was supposed to be out. I did take my shotgun with me at that time but my gun was in the scabbard of my pack. One hour after sunrise I did scout with my bow for that hog but as you stated...he was unrecoverable. Now here comes your "head guide." and asks what I was doing....I stated to him that I was trying to track my hog and he said that he was here to help me. I then go back to my pack and he sees my gun...he questions me and I told him that it was ok as I had gotten permission from you in 2006. Maybe I should have had it in writing. So as your guide and I begin to look for the hog we came across a pack of hogs...and I raised my bow in case there was any of meat hogs. I didn't see any hogs that were meat hogs and your "head guide" asked me why I didn't shoot a hog with my gun. I told him that I had my bow out and that there wasn't a meat hog. Now..here is where the break down in communication starts...your head guide stated to me that "go ahead and shoot, Matt and Cheryl are good folks...they will take care of you." Now yes...I did use my shot gun to shoot at three hogs, however during the trip my guns scope was off by over a foot. Each one I missed as witnessed by your head guide. Upon returning back to the camp your head guide told you that I was blazing up the area...not once did he tell you that he told me to pull my shotgun out and shoot at that hog that was well out of my bow range. However I stated that you when you called my home after my hunt.

In retrospect, we should have promptly shown this individual to the gate, but instead decided to “turn the other cheek” and allow him to finish out the hunt, for the sake of his companion who did not deserve to be punished for his son-in-law’s transgression. He apologized to us, which we sincerely appreciated, and we accepted his apology, allowing him to continue his hunt for the free meat hog. Then, to further betray our trust, instead of shooting a meat hog, this individual shot a big toothy, trophy boar of over 150 pounds!

150 lbs...oh really. I remember when Cheryl put it on the scale and it was 130 lbs and there wasn't any toothy trophy boar. I know what I paid extra was 195.00 and 1.50 x 130=195. Please see picture...and remember that you had me stand an arms distance to make the pig look bigger.

We were shocked that someone would show such disrespect after all we did for him, and then informed him that since he shot a second trophy hog, he would have to pay the $1.50 replacement fee that we normally charge for additional hogs shot.

For three years, we’ve sat quietly and read the negative comments and innuendos posted by this individual without responding.

On bowsite.com every thread that is brought up about allabouturanch is removed. I wonder why. I posted once or twice on bowsite to find out about that operation from the other experiences of other hunters. Within a day...those threads were removed. The reason is that allabouturanch was not a paid sponsor. I have not posted on bowsite or on A.T. anything about your operation, or about my experiences until now.

This time however, when we saw him posting under two different aliases,

Actually I have three aliases...Newhunter1, OCD-Bowhunter, and Zipperhead. The first one is my primary one, the second one had to be made when I had a relative harassing me. I spoke with Oxford who told me to make another aliases, and the third for when I fell out of a tree and cracked my head. Someone came on hear saying I should change my name to zipperhead. Now, when I respond about hog hunting in Oklahoma I will make sure that I use Nh1.

slandering our business and making up lies about his experience with us, we simply had to come forward with the truth. We work very hard to earn a good reputation by offering a good quality hunt for a fair price, and more importantly, by treating our guests with the honesty and respect they deserve. In this case, I feel we went above and beyond what was reasonable. Fortunately, this was an isolated incident which we will not allow us to become bitter or angry, but rather sympathetic toward an individual who has obviously been harboring much hatred over all this time.

Not hatred...I don't hate you nor your operation...the break down in communication..yes. just matter of fact.

I'm sorry we had to post all of this here, as we don't care to air our dirty laundry on the internet, but we felt the need to defend our honor in this case. Thank you again to all of the fine folks whom have hunted with us over the years. We certainly don't deserve all of the blessings you have been to us!

-Matt and Cheryl Napper/Shiloh Ranch Hunting Camp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry...no toothy critter here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCD-Bowhunter View Post
    For whatever reason I cannot post on this thread as Newhunter1...so here you go.
    Why did you take the picture with your bow? Shoot it with a gun, I don't care but don't pass it off as a bow kill. shows me something about your character right there.
    '14 Hoyt Pro Edge Elite--'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite--'13 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite--'12 Hoyt Carbon Element
    EASTON arrows, DOINKER stabilizers, TROPHY TAKER rests, AXCEL sights

Sorry...forgot to mention that pig was killed with my bow from stand number 4, and in case you don't believe me then I'm sure you can see my last arrow on the white wrap. Nice and red...Oh, and personally I don't care what you think about my character.

Again, to clarify some mistruths that have been posted here, we would like to add the following:

Every person who books a hunt with us is supplied a copy of our rules, which clearly state, and I quote "Firearms allowed only when prior arrangements have been made, and must be unloaded when not in a stationary stand or blind. No stalking or still hunting allowed with a firearm." This is a rule we are firm with, due to safety and liability. We also go over these rules verbally during orientation and then have each hunter sign a liability release form indicating that they had not only read, but understood those rules. Had you told us of your intention to hunt with a gun, we would not have been alarmed by hearing the shots, and we certainly would have reminded you of our firm stance requiring you to hunt from one of our stands. Additionally, we have never employed any guides, with the exception of two hunts where we asked a neighbor/friend to help us out on evenings where we made arrangements for hunters to be here while we were at church. Other than those two times (neither of which were during your hunt), we have operated the ranch solely by ourselves for the past eleven years. We did have two hunters in camp whom have hunted with us on numerous occasions whom we told you could help answer any questions you may have had, and who certainly could assist you on your hunt, but they were not employees of the ranch and certainly would not have told you that it was okay to break our rules. Again, I apologize to everyone else for the direction this thread has taken, but simply felt the need to tell the truth behind the false statements that were being made.

Matt...

Once again, I did have permission from you in December of 2006 when I booked the hunt. Since it was never in writing I thought you would have remembered what we spoke about. My mistake on that part. Unfortunately you told both my FIL and I that the other hunter was in charge when you were not around...essentially when he spoke it was the same as your words.
    You stated what you felt as the truth as well I have stated my comments as the truth as well. Suffice to say that you and I will not agree with each other. I wish you and yours another prosperous 11 years.

Well, Paul you are right, I'll chime in. I don't get on AT too much and just happened across this thread. Since you and I were there I feel that I can add my perspective. Forgive the bullet points but I wanted to lay a few things out.

1. I had never met Paul before this hunt, nor have I seen him after the hunt was done.

2. I was on my own archery hog hunt. I have hunted at Shiloh many times and know the property pretty well. I've only bowhunted Shiloh Ranch and never gun hunted it.

3. I've never worked for, nor been employed by Matt & Cheryl but it would be an honor to work for them.

4. The term "head guide" is your term not mine. Matt and I joked that I'd been there so much I was working on my "junior, apprentice rookie guide license", (a term I still use) It was never presented that I worked for Matt & Cheryl but that I would be more than willing to help you track or drag if you needed it.

5. I have no animosity towards you since I don't know you other than the brief time at Shiloh and have nothing to gain by attacking anyone’s character. But you have presented your side, so I thought I'd add mine. If John was on this site, he could add his as well.

6. When I ran into you in the woods, you were indeed looking for the hog you wounded the night before. We walked around the stand (#2, I believe) and replayed the shot. We looked diligently for some time for the hog when I noticed the shotgun and you said you had cleared it with Matt to use your shotgun. That was a conversation between you and Matt and I had no knowledge of this arrangement.

7. At some point we had a group of hogs move in or we eased into them (I really don't recall because it was your hunt). We tried easing into bow range but they moved off. You had your shotgun and thought you could get a shot. As I recall it was a frontal head shot that didn't connect as far as we could see. You did mention that the scope might be off.

8. It was at this point that another guy (John) appeared out of the woods. He was not hunting. I don't know about you but it sure surprised me. We walked over to where you thought the hog had stood. At that point John pointed out another hog for you. You and John then went after that hog. I stayed back. You shot at least once more (I wasn't counting shots). We never did see any signs of hit hogs.

9. I think we all walked back to camp together.

10. Matt met us and asked me what all the shooting was about. I told him what I observed. That's when you and Matt talked about the hunt. You admitted that you used your gun while stalking. That was your choice and I had no knowledge of your conversation with Matt, nor that Matt would not allow you to stalk with your gun.

11. I can't address what your conversation with Matt was about hunting another hog. I do know that Matt continued to let you hunt.

11. In my opinion, you wanted to kill a hog (we all do) and you used the shotgun after telling me you had cleared it with Matt. Had I known that you had not cleared this with Matt, I would have walked away. I can't speak for John, but I believe he thought you had cleared the gun use with Matt as well. John and I spoke afterwards as Matt wanted to hear what John had observed.

12. That's my version based on what I can recall from an incident that happened a few years ago that lasted less than 2 hours.

13. I've not hunted the other place and don't know anything about it so I can not address their operation.

14. I see no point in bashing Shiloh based on this experience.

Best of luck in all your hunting.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast