Thread: Want to paint your own black riser????

Want to paint your own black riser????

I see a lot of threads about doing your own riser. My coatings are thermally cured and require a lot of experience to apply---especially in the matte blacks. They are completely chemical resistant and are SUPER thin.-------but----- if you want to try the job on your own, then here is a good low cost way to get good results.

1. Have the riser stripped and media blasted and degreased
    2. Use DupliColor self-etching primer as a base( it dries quickly and needs to be scuffed with medium scotch brite
    3. JOHN DEERE BLITZ BLACK paint is a great choice for a satin/matte black. It can be purchased in a spray can, but I buy it by the quart and ad the recommended hardner for the toughest finish. It can be bought at any J.D. dealer.

I use it on cars and hot rods for the perfect hot-rod black look. It works great and is easy to use.
    Hi-Tek Koatings along with KG Industries will professionally apply the best all around coating on your riser, limbs, and archery gear.
    Tough and chemical resistant coatings that are thinner, lighter, and come in an endless amount of colors.

Thanks for the post....never thought of going to a JD dealer for paint, good ideas here.

I have had good luck with the VHT flameproof paint (ceramic coating) that you can buy at most auto parts suppliers. Same as Lee, beadblast, clean, and spray. I use their primer, paint, and clear coat. It is a finish for automotive engine/exhaust and must be cured in the oven. It is chemical resistant and is available in a spray can. It has been very durable in the projects I have used it in, I will be doing a riser with it soon and will post up the pictures.

Thanks for the tip Lee.
    Andy

Yes, the self-etching primer is a must on aluminum or magnesium. You could just acid etch it then prime it I guess, but self-etching primer sticks great and is the best alternative for a DIY project in my opinion. Most are sandable as well.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

I found a guy that powdercoats here in Arkansas and he did my riser, limb pockets and cams for $20. He did a wonderful job too!

This JD paint sounds like it would be awesome though too!
    Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!
    Hoyt CRX 32 Black limbs, camo riser. 29" 70#
    CX Maximas tipped with Rage 2-blade.
    Trophy Ridge Flatliner 5-pin sight
    NAP Apache rest

Arkie Archer,

Who did your powdercoat? Did they do the prep or what did you have to do to get it ready? I'm in Monticello and would love to know.

The best way I've actually found is to SHARPIE the whole riser.

Quote Originally Posted by simsc View Post
    Arkie Archer,

Who did your powdercoat? Did they do the prep or what did you have to do to get it ready? I'm in Monticello and would love to know.
    Krazy Koats powder coating in Cabot. His (Mike) number is 501-442-8987. I had mine done last summer and here is how it turned out. I took my bow apart and he did the rest. Prep and blasted it to get the camo off. I had it back in like 10 days. And I have a Hoyt Trykon which have very tight tolerances and he did a little filing (of the PC, not the aluminum ha) when he was done he made sure the limb pockets and riser fit perfectly. I was the first bow he had ever done but I am VERY pleased.

Now one thing to know is he cannot take the bearings out of the cams so you'll have to get that done at a pro shop. All this dude will do is prep and powdercoat the bow. But he did it all for $20. Not sure if that is still his price, but that is what it was last summer.

Here are a couple pics of it that I happened to have on my computer here at work.

Thanks, all I want is the riser. I wanted a black riser, but couldn't pass on the price for a camo. So I thought I might spring to have this done.

Quote Originally Posted by klemsontigers7 View Post
    The best way I've actually found is to SHARPIE the whole riser.
    The SHARPIE is awesome, but WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too complicated for most A/T members to use properly!
    Hi-Tek Koatings along with KG Industries will professionally apply the best all around coating on your riser, limbs, and archery gear.
    Tough and chemical resistant coatings that are thinner, lighter, and come in an endless amount of colors.

how do you go about using a sharpie to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by rhardy11 View Post
    Pop the top off and start coloring.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rhardy11 View Post
    Someone actually tried it on AT awhile ago... if you could contact him, im pretty sure he wouldn't recommend trying it!

If i remember right, i think his sharpie black bow ended up pink.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntermitch View Post
    Someone actually tried it on AT awhile ago... if you could contact him, im pretty sure he wouldn't recommend trying it!

If i remember right, i think his sharpie black bow ended up pink.
    Oh I think most ATers remember the "Pink Pony" lol

Nice tip Lee thanks

Just thought that I would move this back up since I have been seeing this question around some. Feel free to PM me with any other questions----Lee

What if it is a target bow then do you use the JD green

Funny that you mention that. Im painting a Jeep CJ7 for a customer in John Deere Green right now.

When using a spray can how do you keep it from looking runny or uneven and what the best paint for toughest but still looks good?