Archery Talk Forum banner

Poll: Most Popular Hunting Bow

7K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  toxo 
#1 ·
I was just in a discussion with a large archer retailer back East and was told that this year has not followed the trends set in the past couple of years with respect to the latest, greatest, most popular, and best selling bows on the market. What does everyone hear from your local archers and bowhunters as the best bow for the money, fastest, most accurate, etc? Please give me general geographic location and tell me what you think is the hottest selling bow in your area.

#3 ·
Phantoms are flying out the doors here, too. Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
Can't tell you what the specific model is and you probably won't get it from manufacturers, but my bet is that nationwide the answer will be a Matthews bow.

I draw this conclusion from the fact that target/3D shooters account for a tiny part of bow sales and that Matthews sells more bows than anyone else by a pretty large margin.

Next in line is Hoyt.

#5 ·
I am from Alabama i see a lot of people with pearson bows here.
seem to get a lot of bang for the buck.i shoot a champion witch also has good prices. If you can find a dealer. As for mathews & hoyt great bows if you have the funds. Have a great hunt & be safe!

#7 ·
marty,

your a little mistaken if you think Matthews sells more bows than any other bow company. Just because there bows are twice the price, they might be making more money than any other bow company out there but they are no where near selling more actual units. There propaganda might make you think that. But i do think there bows are very popular among hunters all over.

One cams are still very big all over the country, the 38" ata bows of all makes.

#9 ·
For 2002 the top selling line is Mathews and the top selling bow has been the legacy . This is by units not by dollars, the number 2 bow line as far as sales is Martin, followed closely this year by Jennings with the G2 and G2XL carrying the flag for them. below that comes Hoyt, PSE, Browning in that order. These are sales numbers not someones impression of what is selling. Last year our top seller was Martin. We sold more Jag Mag hunting setups than anyone can imagine. (our Martin Rep, JDES900x) will bear out those numbers. Unfortunately, D**** Sports , a large discounter of sporting goods, was fortunate enough to get a stellar deal on martin bows and is all but losing money to make sales in our area ( well if we pay the same for bows they are losing money because they are selling setups cheaper then we can sell the bows ) I understand that bow companies want to sell more units, but all they have done in this case is create mostly dissatisfied customers, they have no bow mechanics, they dont adjust drawlength properly so what do the customers get...Ill fitting bows... who do they blame?? not the company that sold it to them... they say, " that darn xyz bow couldnt hit the ground if it fell over, Our shop Prides itself in making customers shoot well,
service after the sale, The area is upstate New York, Home of 600,000 archers 301,750 licensed bowhunters... (IN case someone thought the whole state was like NY city) OK someone help me down off my soapbox, but first remember before you bash any bow company (and over 32 years I have shot Dartons, and hoyts like Jimmy and Bear bows and Martins and Mathews, XI and 1 PSE) any attack does the WHOLE industry a disservice. Bows are like friends... the one that you call your favorite might not be worth anything to anyone else, but you like it and he or she is yours.........

Skip Henry
Webmaster
www.ArcherySite.net

#10 ·
I love my Cougar, but PSE, Mathews, and Parker sell the most in my area, due to availability, and Parker being a local Va. company. A local shop just became a Martin Dealer and it I keep doing well in the local 3D shoots with my Cougar I hope more folks will try Martin.
Most of the guys around here have never seen a furyX system, and when I show them mine, they really like the adjustability.

Unfortunately most of the guys have read 1 too many brochures and are convinced that 2 cam bows are EEEEVIL.:rolleyes:

#11 · (Edited)
Skip,
Thank you for the candid reply. You made a valid argument there, one I am very sensitive to. I am, however, geniunely curious to get everyone's feedback on local bow trends that all. Let's hear it!

#12 ·
The first part WAS local bow trends from the shop, the second part was my explaination as to why a great archery value is sitting on the shelf. I did it not to lay blame but to address a problem that has existed in the industry for a long time, If you'd like to discuss it I am always at archerysite.net
:)
Skipper

#14 ·
Jim,

Here in Louisville, it's the Mathews Legacy by a wide margin.
PSE Nova second because of the price with Hoyt third.

Sag.

#15 ·
Matthews and Hoyt!

In Oklahoma it has always been Matthews and Hoyts. The Legacy have sold well, hard to keep in stock. Hoyt has some good kit bows for a good price. I personally think the Legacy is the best hunting bow on market today. We have sold several and everbody that owns one will agree. I cant remember when I liked a new bow as well as my Legacy. Puts the fun back in shooting.

#16 ·
Numbers!

Just a number that was said at AMO seminar several years ago and has amazed me today. Target archers only account for 10-15% of bowsales. Hunting bows sell the rest. I know for a fact Matthews booth at amo show always draws a crowd. Last year Botech booth seemed to get alot of attention. I was talking to Martin staff member the other day and he said that is still true today.

#17 ·
hey dan

here in oklahoma city there are three bows that make the hit list for popular bows. they are mathews hoyt and pse. best bang for the buck. that is for everyday people who can't or won't spend the extra dollars are buying both pse and hoyt for the most part. if you go for upper end bows i know that a lot of the mathew legacy's are hard to keep in stock in most stores. hoyt in the pro tech, havoc tec and cyber tec are very popular and they don't stay in the store around okla city area. one more bow that i know is going well is the pse nitro. it's one of the upper end bows from pse. i could bet you in every part of the country. that pse is one of the largest selling companies around. they are well known and have great prices on all their bows and great service and warranty set up. they have flooded the market with a product that shoots well and is not as much of a hit to the pocketbook.
my $0.02 worth
rob k

#18 ·
Good question. The popular bow selection where I'm from varies from region to region. Where I live, and say within a 30 mile radius it is mainly Hoyts. I see alot of Havoctecs and some MT Sports that alot of the entry level shooters have.
If you go 60 miles east you see Mathews and Bowtechs.
If you go 60 miles west you see Mathews and Hoyts.
If you go 30 miles north you see Mathews, Hoyts and PSE's.
I went south a couple of times and did see some Darton's along with the other brands mentioned above.
Even though I do shoot a Mathews (same bow for 4 years), I would love to try a Martin Scepter, but there is only 1 dealer that I now of that is close and he never has any available to shoot.
I wanted to ask George if I could shoot his in K.C., but I chickened out. I did pull one back a few times and liked the feel, but have never had the chance to see how they aim and shoot.

#19 ·
delta41 said:
marty,

your a little mistaken if you think Matthews sells more bows than any other bow company. Just because there bows are twice the price, they might be making more money than any other bow company out there but they are no where near selling more actual units. There propaganda might make you think that. But i do think there bows are very popular among hunters all over.

One cams are still very big all over the country, the 38" ata bows of all makes.
So, you don't know this for a fact. You think your reasoning might be true. Mine opinion is probably just as likely to be true.

The only way to know is to find out the actual numbers. Too bad the companies won't reveal their numbers..

#21 ·
Biggest sellers

There are two pro shops in my area.One pushes Bowtech,Martin , and PSE. The other pushes Mathews,Hoyt,and Pearson (in those respective orders).Mathews is the biggest seller and the most expensive right there with Bowtech.I chose a Martin Jag because as a bare-bow it was half the price.
Rkm08

#22 ·
Jim,

How about the Cougar Magnum, I love this bow and we seem to be selling alot of them around here, still would like to try a MV2 mag though I bet that is an awesome hunting bow. Just wish they would sell it without all the access.

Scott

#23 ·
Mattews Price!

The dealer I shoot for sells Matthews for under $600.00.
We have several of the popular bows for under $550.00 one is Legacy. You can also buy one bow for under $500.00. Dealers set there price. Matthews seem to sell cheaper here in Oklahoma for some reason. I dont think Matthews is out of line with todays pricing. I have compared with most other companys Hoyt, Buckmaster, PSE, and BOtech. They all sell there top inline bows for over $500.00. I do know the farther north you go the price goes up, but wages seem to be better in those states also. Cost of living may dectate cost. Overhead from dealers is probably more.

#24 ·
There are only 2 shops (other than some general sporting goods places that seel lower end bows) in the area. Mathews bow are pushed by the shops very hard but Parkers sell very well. Parkers are received very quickly if ordered (usually within 2-3 days) and their customer service seems to be great.

I would say that for new bow sells, there are a lot of Mathews and Parkers sold in the area. A couple of hours north of here there seems to be an emergence of CSS bows. A lot of guys still shoot older bows in this area.

As far as local prices for Mathews bows, other than the FX they range from $660 to $740. Icon, Legacy and Conquest2 all over $700. SQ2@ is $689.

I am in SE VA.

#25 ·
Robvos

This guy isnt going to pay over $600.00 for any bow on the market. Guys in that part of state need to buy on ebay. No tax and lots of time there new bows. There is some risk involved but if you check sellers profile and he is 100% clean than you probably will be ok. I sell all the time and buy archery and have never been stiffed and I have money back garantee if I sell you a item! Legacy-$529.00 Conquest2-$569.00 MQ32-$499.00
There are several dealers that sell in that price range!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.