Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth draw vs. easy draw

Smooth draw vs. easy draw

Both of my shoulders are wrecked so I continually look at threads about 'smooth' drawing bows. The conclusion I have drawn is that what I really need to find is a bow with an easy draw (I have concluded that smooth and easy are not necessarily the same thing). An example (that I have never shot, just read about) is the Parker Blackhawk EZ Draw. I really struggle with the idea that a 340+ fps bow is easy to draw. The energy required for that kind of performance has to come from somewhere.....

I am in the market for a new bow - the main criteria I am interested in are:

1. Ease of draw
    2. Forgiveness
    3. Quietness

Suggestions? Given a list I will try and find dealers to shoot a bunch of bows.

Thoughts on smooth vs. easy of draw?

I own a Guardian and a Destroyer 340. The Guardian draw is very smooth and uniform throughout and very,very quiet. My Destroyer has a pretty smooth draw with a small valley with a rock solid wall and is fairly quiet. BUT my Destroyer feels like a lighter pull to me when both set at the same poundage.

You make an excellent point. While a bow may be "smooth as butta" for some to draw that doesn't necessarily indicate that is easy to pull in the first place. It usually means that the archer finds no exxagerated humps in the draw with a nice valley. I am in love with the New Breed Archery line of compound bows because they truly are EASY to pull in respect to their speeds and poundage. I currently shoot the 37" ATA Cyborg and have just ordered a custom 63 lb Genetix with a 29.25" draw length. Also it is dipped in Predator with coated cams and limb pockets. I haven't seen it yet to be able to tell you how pretty it is but I do know that all of the New Breed line is very easy on the draw. Hope this helps.

Doug
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

I currently shoot a Mathews SwitchbackXT, which I find very easy to draw. It's only rated at 315fps though, so slow compared to what's coming out now. But, whenever I go shoot a new bow, I take mine with me to shoot right next to it and I have yet to shoot a new bow that is as easy to draw. I've heard great things about the New Breed bows as far as ease of draw, but I've never drawn them.

I would look into them, Mathews new EZ9 also. The Mathews isn't rated very fast, but if it draws like my Switchback, I'm sure it's great.

Of the new bows that I have felt like they were easy to draw, the Elite Pure would have to top the list. Not only is the draw smooth, but it felt considerably less than the weight I was pulling. I shot a 70lb Pure and it felt more like a 60lb bow to me. Might not be your impression, but I would definitely try that bow. If you got a 60lb Pure and maxed it out, I think it would feel more like a 50-55lb bow.

The Elite GT500 was another bow that, to me, felt easier to draw than what you were pulling. I shot a 70lb GT500 that was turned down to 63lbs and I felt like I was drawing a kids bow.
    Potential is interesting, performance is everything.

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em coming.....

I tell you what i shot the gaurdian and its smooth but not easy to draw try a mathews drenalin i shot one for 3-4 yrs and it wss great accurate quiet and easy and smooth to draw and forgiving i mean look at the cam its almost a wheel. I mean it wont melt ur arrow but ur shoulder will thank you

The problem is that fanboys want to brag about their bow, and they equate smooth with good.

Now we need to invent new words to describe a DFC that really is smooth, because the word smooth has lost all meaning.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

I think the guys with shoulder problems should look at dropping poundage. A bow with a stiff draw or a hump with the poundage dropped down doesn't feel so bad. If your trying to save your shoulders just drop the weight.

Here is a link to a head-to-head test from 2009. It has some valuable data. It's not just an "arrow race".

Look at the DFC's for the Diamond Iceman, Hoyt Alphamax and the Quest HPS 33.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...2009head2head/

Also look at the total stored energy and dynamic efficiency of those bows, compared to the others.

To me its all about how it lets down. If you can let down without pulling you shoulder out its socket, then its smooth. dd

smoothest bow I ever drew was the Ross CR series, be it 331, 334, 337. 60lbs was nothing, but not a super speedy bow. I have shoulder issues myself, and will be looking to shoot a speed bow at 50lbs to try to alleviate a little bit.
    Target--------2013 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL-Spirals
    Hunting/3D---2009 Hoyt Vantage Pro-Spirals

I have dropped my draw weight to 60 lbs to help with shoulder issues. Shooting at 60 lbs I have had bows that I liked better than others for ease of draw. Perhaps I will need to drop the draw weight even more. I have to believe that there are bows that are designed to be easy to draw - in spite of the performance craze (I'm not bashing performance, that would be dumb).

i understand your issue and have posted numerous times about the difference between smooth and easy.... it gets old looking at people who think a freaking monster or omen is easy!! but both are smooth.. i have had the left shoulder torn up once the right one twice with rotator cuff surgery 18 months ago.... i know easy draw!!

all that to say this,,, of all the speed bows only the pse vendetta xs is anywhere near easy.. keeping poundage in mind i have had no issue with shooting mine,, something else i like about it is the fact it is the easiest bow to let down reguardless of pull weight i have ever seen,, there is no hump in the draw,, so there is no jerk in the let down...
    another speed bow that is pretty nice is the alienx,, it does have a hump,, and a jerk on let down,, however the draw stop can be adjusted to make it way better ... but it has an incredible valley at full draw!
    i have never met a matthews that my shoulder liked,,

so here is my list of bows to look at that will supply enough speed ( i am not a speed freak and i rarely shoot more than 63# )
    the bowmadness xs,, especially the 2010 if you can find it,, only had 9"limbs,, the most fun bow i ever shot,,, the vendetta xs , i assume the xl is as nice... axe7,, any quest bow i have picked up,, elite generally dont have much valley, although they can have a easy draw, nothing from hoyt,, just dont have a soft draw ( i do like hoyt),, nothing from bowtec,, , martin has a nice line up,, stay away from the firecat series though,, very hard draw, although the cams are very similar to the alien, they dont feel the same,,, alpine has several worth looking at...i dont know anything about the bear bows, ben pearson makes some of the smoothest bows of all time,, but i have not shot the newest ones.. and one more if you can find it that might be worth looking at is the concept archey bows with up to 99% let off... i dont know what poundage your looking for but i shoot the vendetta xs,,, i also have the alienx, whisper creek stealth, elite gt500, i have on order the pse dream season evolution,, it is as nice as the vendetta maybe better,, rep had a 60 it felt like 50 i had to scale it to believe it,, very fast and quiet,,, i just sold my hoyt katera,,, shoulder never going to be up to that cam system again... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    The problem is that fanboys want to brag about their bow, and they equate smooth with good.

Now we need to invent new words to describe a DFC that really is smooth, because the word smooth has lost all meaning.
    nope we got smooth,,, we need to define easy draw! without being a kids bow

Quote Originally Posted by dhom View Post
    I think the guys with shoulder problems should look at dropping poundage. A bow with a stiff draw or a hump with the poundage dropped down doesn't feel so bad. If your trying to save your shoulders just drop the weight.
    theres more to it than dropping poundage,, thats just an option

Quote Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
    ....we need to define easy draw!..
    It already has a definition.

SMOOTH!

You guys are inventing your own definitions of smooth.

It's like calling a tire a football, and wondering why your Boss is confused about your flat football making you late for work.

I`m partial to the draw on my Vendetta XL, but if I had a shoulder prob and wanted a sweet drawing bow, I would opt for the onieda syle, they are sweet shooters just to much stuff goin on for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
    theres more to it than dropping poundage,, thats just an option
    I realize there is more to it but instead of someone feeling the need to go get a new bow they can just drop the poundage on their current bow. If someone is set on getting a new bow they can look at getting a speed bow with a lower poundage, save their shoulder and not lose speed. I have bad shoulders and I just cannot pull alot of weight without my shoulders feeling it, I don't care how ez or smooth the bow is to pull. The only thing my shoulders like is less draw weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dhom View Post
    This is good advise right here.

With the efficiency of todays bows there is no need to draw a lot of weight to be fast and efficient.

I see a trend with many of my customers in buying lesser poundage bows. many are going to 50 or 60lb bows and with the right arrows also getting plenty of speed and energy for hunting.

My list of smooth bows will include the Fred bears (single cams) mathews or Mission single cam bows, and my favorite the PSE Vendettas. (Love my VXL)
    If you are willing to go with a lower poundage bow then the skies the limit, just make sure you get the right spine arrows for your poundage and draw length and you won't see much loss of speed.
    Last edited by XForce Girl; January 14th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
    The Original Bling Sling. www.hnsarchery.com
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery

Concept's Mini 29 was the easiest bow to draw and with 98% let off you could hold it a long time. I could draw 39 vs. 32 lbs compared to the Genetix. Note I shoot one handed with a mouth tab. The Genetix is thhe fastest and smoothest draw at my low poundage and 25" AMO draw length.

I would suggest the new 2011 Elites. I would say they are both smooth and easy to draw. I shot a Pure and legitimately had to go and have the shop guy put the bow on the scale in front of me to prove the bow was at 70 lbs because I was thinking to myself there is no way this is 70 lbs, but it was. And the valley/letoffs on the new Elites is crazy comfortable. These would be high on my list to check out if I were you....

I've shot a lot of speed bows & they all were smooth but they all had the HUMP. Which it don't matter how smooth it was the HUMP is what HURTS a person. I dropped my M6 for the GT500 even though it's not as fast as the M6 it's a wonderful bow to shoot. I've found the Elites from 08 to 11 super smooth & have a very little hump if any now when you drop from 70lbs to 60 or 50lbs that rig just becomes a lot easier to draw & let down with out killing your shoulder. That's what you are looking for!!! Good Luck

The "easiest" drawing bow I have ever shot was, by far, the Bowtech Liberty. Very very easy to pull back. Wasn't very fast though. I miss that bow.

I am somewhat partial but "rightfully so". Give New Breed a try. There are the definition of what a smooth drawing bow should be.
    Johns Custom Archery
    FISHING CREEK ARCHERY CLUB

"Life's short, hunt hard"

Quote Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
    smoothest bow I ever drew was the Ross CR series, be it 331, 334, 337. 60lbs was nothing, but not a super speedy bow. I have shoulder issues myself, and will be looking to shoot a speed bow at 50lbs to try to alleviate a little bit.
    I shot trad-recurves for the past 30+ years and returned to the world of wheel bows this fall due to a shoulder issue. Right shoulder MRI indicated two partial rotator cuff tears and fraying of my biceps tendon..............so this topic is very apropo to my life as well. A dear trad friend shot compounds for most of his archery experience and did some serious investigation to assist me in finding a compound that would allow me to shoot and hunt for the 2010 season. His answer was a Ross Cardiac in the 50-60 range. When I got it, it was cranked to max (about 63#) and almost ruined my shoulder. So I cranked it down 10# to 53, took a few weeks rest and started over. From that point on, I started regaining my strength and turned it up a couple pounds to 55 for the bulk of the fall hunting season. The Ross is very smooth and easy to draw. Since setting to a reasonable poundage, I have had no shoulder issues. However I went to PT and got a shoulder exercise routine that I follow religiously. My final thoughts..........a moderately fast compound is a lot faster than my recurves and far quicker than sitting home all fall.
    "Reality is always your friend. The reason is almost a truism.......everything else is a fantasy." ~ Dr. Henry Cloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast