Thread: What is an average price to restring a bow?

What is an average price to restring a bow?

I just traded for a Hoyt Vipertech and the draw length is about 1-1/2" to 2" to long for me. Unfortunately I have the spiral 1-1/2 cams and the only way to adjust the length is with a new string. Which is probably ok, since the string is showing signs of wear anyway.

So how much do they usually cost to have replaced?

I'm a newbie at this, does the bow need to be retuned afterwords?

$40-$100

shouldnt you get a new cam for the dl you need, is he going to short string it that much?
    2010 Elite GT500
    Wac'em Broadheads www.wacemarchery.com/

you would also need new cams. spirals are draw length specific cams. trying to short string the bow that much is going to cause all kinds of tuning issues. the combination of new cams and strings is going to cost more than the bow is worth in my opinion.

$120 or more around here at a proshop. I charge $100 and that's if I have to get the strings and cables.

I dont know, do I need a new cam?

Quote Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
    I dont know, do I need a new cam?
    I would say you need a new cam and string, $50 for cams, $100 for strings, you might want to see if you can take it back if it was a shop you got it from.
    2010 Elite GT500

you will need a new cam and your poundage may change
    Ultratec w/ spirals 80# 30" Ultratec w/ c+ 70# 30" Supertec 70# 30"
    Samick deer slayer arrow flinger

Quote Originally Posted by OR Archer1 View Post
    you would also need new cams. spirals are draw length specific cams. trying to short string the bow that much is going to cause all kinds of tuning issues. the combination of new cams and strings is going to cost more than the bow is worth in my opinion.
    Oh that sucks.... Maybe I can find a trade on CL, I'm sure the odds of finding someone with the right draw length are not good

When I got the bow I thought it had the adjustable cams.

Yep you need new cams you can't adjust the draw length on spirals that much by changing string length. draw weight will change, You are looking at around 100 for cams , string and cable set 50 to 75 and at least 40-50 or more to have someone change them for you so 200 bucks give or take, should have traded for one in your draw length as that is getting up around the value of your bow. Randy
    They were the Good Old Days because we were young then! Either that or the world just keeps getting worse !

The sad thing about life is that no matter what I do I can't get out of it Alive !!

dang, I was really liking the bow

Well, atleast I got a good trade. I can keep all the accessories it came with.

High up in a tree, maybe in Michigan, maybe not..
    120.00 for strings and paper tuning around here.
    2011 MATHEWS Z7 EXTREME 73/29
    QAD HD Pro,Spot hogg hunter,
    389.92 grain Gold Tip Pro Hunter 75/95 with a RAGE Hypodermic
    Lone wolf stands

So what kind of cams do I need? How would I find out?

maybe I can get a good deal on ebay.

Do I need to replace both cams?

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the responses

Yes you need both cams, your dealer should be able to get them if he is a hoyt dealer, check the classifieds on here.
    2010 Elite GT500

Our strings run $60 a set. As stated though with that bow you will need new cams and strings.
    $55 8190 String & Cable Set Sale http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2242766
    $100 Gift Card Giveaway http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2278267
    Save 10% at www.60XCustomStrings.com with promo code AT10
    Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/60XCustomStrings
    Credit Cards 724-543-2686 Paypal info@60XCustomStrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
    Do I need to replace both cams?

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the responses
    Yes you need both cams, spirals have a number on them that is the cam size, call hoyt and tell them what bow you have and what DL you need and they will tell you what # cams you need.
    It wont be as expensive as some have said, its common to find spirals on AT classifieds that go for 50-65 bucks, or you can put your cams up for trade for the size you need.
    You can pick up a set of string for around $60. Dont give up yet the Vipertec was a great bow.
    Strother Inspire- Control Freak X rods- Limb Driver- Sword- Tru Ball- Easton Axis- G5 Montecs

Why don't you post what draw length the bow is and the limb deflection number(they are written on the butt end of each limb) then tell us what draw length you need and we could likely give a more accurate answer. Randy
    They were the Good Old Days because we were young then! Either that or the world just keeps getting worse !

The sad thing about life is that no matter what I do I can't get out of it Alive !!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensgait View Post
    Why don't you post what draw length the bow is and the limb deflection number(they are written on the butt end of each limb) then tell us what draw length you need and we could likely give a more accurate answer. Randy
    Thanks Randy, I will take a look when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by passinthrough12 View Post
    Yes you need both cams, spirals have a number on them that is the cam size, call hoyt and tell them what bow you have and what DL you need and they will tell you what # cams you need.
    It wont be as expensive as some have said, its common to find spirals on AT classifieds that go for 50-65 bucks, or you can put your cams up for trade for the size you need.
    You can pick up a set of string for around $60. Dont give up yet the Vipertec was a great bow.
    I will try giving them a call tomorrow and see what they say, it would be good to get the specifics on what bow I have