Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What is an average price to restring a bow?

  1. #1

    What is an average price to restring a bow?

    I just traded for a Hoyt Vipertech and the draw length is about 1-1/2" to 2" to long for me. Unfortunately I have the spiral 1-1/2 cams and the only way to adjust the length is with a new string. Which is probably ok, since the string is showing signs of wear anyway.



    So how much do they usually cost to have replaced?

    I'm a newbie at this, does the bow need to be retuned afterwords?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island British Colombia Canada
    Posts
    113
    $40-$100

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,614
    shouldnt you get a new cam for the dl you need, is he going to short string it that much?
    2010 Elite GT500
    Wac'em Broadheads www.wacemarchery.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    604
    you would also need new cams. spirals are draw length specific cams. trying to short string the bow that much is going to cause all kinds of tuning issues. the combination of new cams and strings is going to cost more than the bow is worth in my opinion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Leland, NC Near Wilmington
    Posts
    5,698
    $120 or more around here at a proshop. I charge $100 and that's if I have to get the strings and cables.

  6. #6
    I dont know, do I need a new cam?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
    I dont know, do I need a new cam?
    I would say you need a new cam and string, $50 for cams, $100 for strings, you might want to see if you can take it back if it was a shop you got it from.
    2010 Elite GT500
    Wac'em Broadheads www.wacemarchery.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North, NJ
    Posts
    181
    you will need a new cam and your poundage may change
    Ultratec w/ spirals 80# 30" Ultratec w/ c+ 70# 30" Supertec 70# 30"
    Samick deer slayer arrow flinger

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by OR Archer1 View Post
    you would also need new cams. spirals are draw length specific cams. trying to short string the bow that much is going to cause all kinds of tuning issues. the combination of new cams and strings is going to cost more than the bow is worth in my opinion.
    Oh that sucks.... Maybe I can find a trade on CL, I'm sure the odds of finding someone with the right draw length are not good

    When I got the bow I thought it had the adjustable cams.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NM/UA/MT
    Posts
    5,857
    Yep you need new cams you can't adjust the draw length on spirals that much by changing string length. draw weight will change, You are looking at around 100 for cams , string and cable set 50 to 75 and at least 40-50 or more to have someone change them for you so 200 bucks give or take, should have traded for one in your draw length as that is getting up around the value of your bow. Randy
    They were the Good Old Days because we were young then! Either that or the world just keeps getting worse !

    The sad thing about life is that no matter what I do I can't get out of it Alive !!

  11. #11
    dang, I was really liking the bow

    Well, atleast I got a good trade. I can keep all the accessories it came with.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    High up in a tree, maybe in Michigan, maybe not..
    Posts
    1,636
    120.00 for strings and paper tuning around here.
    2011 MATHEWS Z7 EXTREME 73/29
    QAD HD Pro,Spot hogg hunter,
    389.92 grain Gold Tip Pro Hunter 75/95 with a RAGE Hypodermic
    Lone wolf stands

  13. #13
    So what kind of cams do I need? How would I find out?

    maybe I can get a good deal on ebay.

  14. #14
    Do I need to replace both cams?

    Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the responses

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,614
    Yes you need both cams, your dealer should be able to get them if he is a hoyt dealer, check the classifieds on here.
    2010 Elite GT500
    Wac'em Broadheads www.wacemarchery.com/

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cowansville, Pa
    Posts
    19,414
    Our strings run $60 a set. As stated though with that bow you will need new cams and strings.
    $55 8190 String & Cable Set Sale http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2242766
    $100 Gift Card Giveaway http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2278267
    Save 10% at www.60XCustomStrings.com with promo code AT10
    Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/60XCustomStrings
    Credit Cards 724-543-2686 Paypal info@60XCustomStrings.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Ky
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
    Do I need to replace both cams?

    Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the responses
    Yes you need both cams, spirals have a number on them that is the cam size, call hoyt and tell them what bow you have and what DL you need and they will tell you what # cams you need.
    It wont be as expensive as some have said, its common to find spirals on AT classifieds that go for 50-65 bucks, or you can put your cams up for trade for the size you need.
    You can pick up a set of string for around $60. Dont give up yet the Vipertec was a great bow.
    Strother Inspire- Control Freak X rods- Limb Driver- Sword- Tru Ball- Easton Axis- G5 Montecs

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NM/UA/MT
    Posts
    5,857
    Why don't you post what draw length the bow is and the limb deflection number(they are written on the butt end of each limb) then tell us what draw length you need and we could likely give a more accurate answer. Randy
    They were the Good Old Days because we were young then! Either that or the world just keeps getting worse !

    The sad thing about life is that no matter what I do I can't get out of it Alive !!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ravensgait View Post
    Why don't you post what draw length the bow is and the limb deflection number(they are written on the butt end of each limb) then tell us what draw length you need and we could likely give a more accurate answer. Randy
    Thanks Randy, I will take a look when I get home.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by passinthrough12 View Post
    Yes you need both cams, spirals have a number on them that is the cam size, call hoyt and tell them what bow you have and what DL you need and they will tell you what # cams you need.
    It wont be as expensive as some have said, its common to find spirals on AT classifieds that go for 50-65 bucks, or you can put your cams up for trade for the size you need.
    You can pick up a set of string for around $60. Dont give up yet the Vipertec was a great bow.
    I will try giving them a call tomorrow and see what they say, it would be good to get the specifics on what bow I have

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •