a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: What happens if you dry fire a crossbow?

What happens if you dry fire a crossbow?

Does it blow up? Does it last?

Depends on what brand/model crossbow. Some will hold up to that unfortunate extreme event with minor damage. The Horton Vision & Excalibur crossbows are known to hold up after a dry fire, maybe a broken string on the vision but that's all.

Have your bow seek immediate medical attention.

It can get ugly. If nothing appears wrong, at very least your axels are bent and need replaced.

Axles bend/break... cams end up with chunks missing... solid limbs become split limbs, the brand of Xbow really makes no difference.

Unhappy Dry Fire

Not recommended. Some will complete blow up, others may just have slight damage.

Depends on bow and it's pull weight. I've dryfired both compounds and a recurve. The compound (175 lb draw Parker Cyclone) literally disintegrated when a plastic nock failed. Limb broke, string and cables too, both cams bent. Another, a 150 lb draw Terminator was none the worse for wear when it's (new) string broke; the cable slide did break and fly off into the woods. The Excaliburs I've dryfired, or been witness to same, were none the worse for wear. Mine, 175 draw Phoenix did have a string stopper, but two others-200 draw-did not.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

Quote Originally Posted by SplashOfPee View Post
    Does it blow up? Does it last?
    i saw one explode one time

several years ago I watch a guy intentionally dry fire his Horton to uncock it. I forget the model but it was a long time ago.

I told him not to do it....but he just HAD to find out for himself. BLAM the dam thing sent string and cables flying everywhere! LOL

I allowed my father to use my Excalibur Exocet 200 this past season. Well he managed to dry fire it accidentally....and I heard it happen from 500 yards away in my blind. I could not find any damage at all except the center serving broke. Popped on a new string and good as new.

I dunno if I got lucky....and I sure wouldn't recommend dry firing for any reason but my Excalibur took it like a champ.
    You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ya JackWagon

If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice.

I recently dry fired my Excalibur Equinox 225 pound pull with fast flight string and STS. The right limb developed a tiny sliver. I was told to cut it off and keep shooting. I did that and there has not been a single problem. The STS rubber bumpers were all I replaced. How many other crossbows would come out like that I wonder?

I have had the Tenpoint DFI save me a few times.

If you dry fire the Tenpoint Titan TL-7 crossbow the DFI catches the string and all you have to do is recock the string back to the cock position with no damage to the crossbow. I have had the Tenpoint DFI only save me one time. It's a great thing to have for me. That's why I bought a second Tenpoint crossbow for 3D archery only. I wouldn't buy a crossbow with out a DFI. I don't like parts flying at me. [IMG][/IMG]
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

Not a proud moment, but my son dry fired his Excal Vixen when he was not paying enough attention. Looked it over very carefully, but we could not find any damage.
    DTM 355 SS walnut stock, Leupold VX 1 1-4 heavy duplex
    DTM 330 Swamp Donky Long Magnum, Redfield Revenge
    BEEs, Laser 2 Pros, Slick Tricks, Ramcats.

I guess if you have a Middleton crossbow, it just doesn't matter....

http://www.middletoncrossbow.com/Dry_Fire_Demo.mov

With a Parker or Tenpoint not a whole lot. Anything else it's not if anything is going to get damaged it's how far are the pieces going to fly and what are they going to hit. I know that on an Excal sponsored show the guy dry fired the bow on TV, I couldn't believe what I saw. Nothing happened but I feel this teach complacency in the field.
    G-Fade Quest Primal LH 72# @ 29.25"
    Proline Strings BCY X
    GT Velocity XT's 372gr
    Speed = 309 fps
    Grim Reapers....Watch em drop!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenpoint TL-7 View Post
    If you dry fire the Tenpoint Titan TL-7 crossbow the DFI catches the string and all you have to do is recock the string back to the cock position with no damage to the crossbow. I have had the Tenpoint DFI only save me one time. It's a great thing to have for me. That's why I bought a second Tenpoint crossbow for 3D archery only. I wouldn't buy a crossbow with out a DFI. I don't like parts flying at me. [IMG][/IMG]
    You can buy the component to anchor the horse shoe instead of putting it on the scope.
    G-Fade Quest Primal LH 72# @ 29.25"
    Proline Strings BCY X
    GT Velocity XT's 372gr
    Speed = 309 fps
    Grim Reapers....Watch em drop!

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    You can buy the component to anchor the horse shoe instead of putting it on the scope.
    I was shooting 3D archery with my crossbow that day and I cock the bow faster that way. I don't like holding other 3D shooters up.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

I don't know, I have a Ten Point GT Mag, and when I was starting out, the fact it catches the string and saves one from having a dry fire, saved me twice. I am more careful now!!!!

454, I just read on another forum where a Parker Tornado string broke with 75 shots on it. The crossbow's pieces were shipped back to the factory for repair/replacement.
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

What happens if you ... pull the pin on a grenade??? LOL
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971