a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Western Bowhunter Doug Walker Passes

Western Bowhunter Doug Walker Passes

Doug Walker was among the first few inductees into the Bowhunters Hall of Fame who were recognized not only for Category A, for his hunting excellence, but also Category C for his literary excellence.

Prior to the late 1940s, what few bowhunters there were across the U.S. they could only hunt deer with a bow during the gun seasons. But through the efforts of so few, an archery only season was established and in 1949, Doug was one of the very first bowhunters of record to take a buck deer. during a "Archery Only" deer season, this was his first big game animal in California and later he was recognized in their record book as the first and only bowhunter to take all 13 big game species that could be taken in California.

1961 - Doug along with Fred Bear was one of the first regular members of the Pope and Young Club, also one of the Club's first Board of Directors, in 1970, Doug became a Senior member and was voted on to be Pope and Young's Big Game Chairman.

Doug is a world class bowhunter with hundreds of big game animals to his credit - over 50 of them are award winning trophy class animals and are prominently listed in the record books.

Many awards of honor hang from the walls of his office and den. You will see such awards of honor from the most recognized organizations in the U.S.A. To name a few, Pope and Young Club, Safari Club International, NFAA and from his home state, CBH/SAA, Big Game Club.

In 2001, during the World Archery Festival, the NFAA created the "Grand Master Society," their highest of Bowhunting honors. Along with three of his bowhunting idols, Fred Bear, Ben Pearson and Glenn St. Charles, Doug was named 4th to be listed on that Roll of Honor.

Also in 2001, Doug received his state's most coveted award, their "Lifetime Achievement Award of Honor." At 73, Doug still successfully bow hunts and is the owner and publisher of the National Bowhunter Magazine. The National Bowhunter Magazine is celebrating its 50th anniversary as a bowhunting magazine.

The bowhunting world will miss him. One of the really great people in our sport.
    You young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a receiver on a rotary phone

wow, thats too bad. will be missed for sure.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

Doug was a great guy who encouraged a lot of hunters to write down their adventures and share them with the rest of the bowhunting world. He will sorely be missed.

Doug was good friend and really helped me get settled into the archery trade. I feel as though I've just lost a second father. He will be greatly missed.

Doug was one of the best! This man was all about archery his entire life and created a really great publication for archers...... He will be missed for sure!!!
    - Stop by to see all the new Doinker stabilizer equipment at WWW.DOINKER.COM
    - Join our Doinker Forum to be a part of all the fun in Doinkerville at WWW.DOINKER.COM/FORUM
    - Keep up to date with Doinker News on our Facebook (Doinker,"worlds #1 stabilizer") and Twitter (DoinkerStabs) page as well
    - Doinker is proud to announce that we now have the largest line of stabilizer and vibration dampening equipment in the world!

We'll All Miss Doug!!!

I had the honor of hunting with Doug a couple of years ago and talked with him by phone on a regular basis. I knew him to be a man of the highest integrity and know that we have all lost a giant in the world of bowhunting! May God provide us with more men of his caliber in our sport and in our country!

Ben Summers
    Director of Operations, T.R.U. Ball Release/AXCEL Sights
    Board of Directors, Archery Trade Association

I'm just returning from a month on the road and was surprised to see this. I'm really surprised that it wasn't brought up at one of the archery shows. I have worked with Doug in the past with his publication and hope that it can continue without him. He has been a great contributor to the archery industry and will be missed.