Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55 gallon drum wood burner

55 gallon drum wood burner

Has anyone built their own wood burner out of 55 gallon drums, if so how well do they work. I need a heater for my pole barn and place to work on my bows. I am thinking of building a double stacked one.

We had one years ago in a hunting cabin. It worked real good. We would get it so hot the flue would be glowing red!!! It was only a single not a double. We were just young men and didn't have enough money to buy the deluxe model.
    "08 Ally, Barnsdale Limbs, 57#@29"
    H&M bowstrings
    B-Stinger
    CX Maxima 250, Muzzy, 3 blade, 100gr
    Samick Sage, 30lb

Here is something I may try out sometime, it is just what you need to set yourself up.
    Fifty five gallon barrel and you are set!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_20894_20894

i had one ( double ) i bought the kit at the co-op. it heated the barn well definitley worth the money for the kit. it makes it real sturdy.

Used to buy the kits to convert the drums at the local farmers co-op. Seems like Farm & Fleet would handle them these days. After you assemble it you have to "preburn" the drum to get everything that will makes smoke off the outside before you install it in a building. We used the very same kit on a 250 gal oil drum in the basement of a 28'x28' cabin to get the additional radiation area and also let us put longer logs in. Also worked very well. Put river rock in the bottom to keep the burning embers off the steel. Shovel out the ash regularly.
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

LOL.....this is like deja vu.

home made wood heater ideas Have a nice 50 gallon propane tank with the top cut out of it. I want to make a wood heater for my man cave. I am looking for suggestions. I have metal, welders, torches etc. Just need some pointers on air flow, heat exchangers etc. Thanks You may pm me if you like. You may even post pics of your...
    Started by preacherjack, January 27th, 2011 09:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Sitka View Post
    Here is something I may try out sometime, it is just what you need to set yourself up.

My local TSC sells a similar kit. I'm going to build one this weekend, if I can find a couple of drums. I will post some pics. Hopefully it will warm up my pole barn ( 24/40/8) uninsulated.

I built 1 out of cast steel 10 stud truck brake drums for my shed and it works a treat. I will post up some pics soon.

Any one try this with 30 gallon drums?
    My shed isn't very big, I think 55 gal. would be way to much.
    If there is a way to shoot myself in the foot, I would most likely miss anyway.
    Illinois Bowhunters Society member

never built a regular wood burner out of one. i have used them for burn barrels for fishing in the winter though. id suggest maybe some grill or high temp paint and build a flat rack in the bottom to lay fire brick in. id just be afraid of getting it to hot and burning out the bottom of it. if you do build one deffinitely post some pics up, i'd love to see how they look and work.
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Sitka View Post

that is exactly the setup we have in the clubhouse at the range and it does work very well. we had t o replace the barrell last year after several years at least ten that i know of. pretty inexpensive.
    myarcheryclub.com

I just installed one in my shop this past year and will give good reviews. It doesn't take much to keep me happy.
    I found the plans on Backwood something or other. I bought this little **** of an acreage about 15 yrs ago and finaly moved out here a yr ago last June. No indoor plumbing. Life is nice.

Sorry, I meant to say site of an acreage, My mistake. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by daltongang View Post
    Any one try this with 30 gallon drums?
    My shed isn't very big, I think 55 gal. would be way to much.
    We did for are hunting tent but we made it upright for more room. We used a kit from nortern tool and modified it send me your email and I will send some pics. Has ash tray and will take 16" logs
    Mathews Drenalin LD 28" 70 lbs
    HHA with custom extension
    QAD Ultra Rest HD, Carter Quickie 1 Release, Specialty Archery Verifier ( damn old eyes), Extreme Bow Strings, Gold Tip Pro Hunters

One of my dads buddies has one in his garage that he made years ago out of a 55 gal. Drum, I remember being in there when I was younger and that whole thing would be glowing red, with about 20 people in there he used to have the doors open and it would still cook you out of there in sub zero temps.

A mate made one for his shop from an old indoor water heater tank, one end is flat, the other is rounded like a propane tank, 10mm thick steel, 2ft diameter and about 5ft long. Welded on some legs made from 2 inch angle, cut the flat end out and slid in some expanded steel mesh to sit the logs on and a couple of stacked fire bricks under it in the middle to prop up the mesh and stop it from sagging. Made the door from the cut off end, hinged with heavy duty gate hinges and a latch hangle and made a sliding damper beneath the door and re-welded it back on. Used 5 inch stainless steel chimney /flue tube as it's very cheap. Later he welded a flat plate on top to use to heat up a kettle or to heat up his leftovers for lunch on. It pumps out heaps of heat enough to warm up and stey warm a 25 metre by 15 metre workshop.

I am working on mine now. It is a 100 gallon propane tank. I used 3/8 plate and made cradle type legs. I also used 3/8 plate for the front. I cut a 12" slot in the top, I put 3 heat exchanger tubes in this area. I also made this a catalytic heater for a more efficient burn. I have a single speed furnace fan that will blow through the heat exchanger tubes. It has air coming in at the front below the door and secondary air coming in at the back of the fire box. It will also have fire brick and sand in the bottom. It is coming together nicely. Will post some pics soon.
    " Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
    Matthew 7:13-14

Our house was heated by a two barrel for many years. It was great. Went to an outside wood stove this year because the chimney needed rebuilt. Wish we would have just rebuilt the chimney and kept the barrel stove. The outside stove burns at least twice the wood and still doesn't keep it very warm in here. Our furnace keeps having to run so now it's going to cost us extra for propane.
    Lookin' California but feelin' Minnesota
    If I had it all again I'd change it all.

What type of outside stove did you go to Washi? I have been thinking about adding one because I have no room or chimney in the house. I was hoping they would be more efficient and not less.
    "05" Patriot/"06" Allegiance
    Winners Choice
    Copper John & Meta Peep
    Mean V CSS
    Ripcord/Limbdriver

I know a number of people with two barrel versions in their shops. They work great and are inexpensive.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."

Hello,
    Pics would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Raymond

A local 3D club has a big barn that they shoot indoor 3D in during the cold months. Some of the shots are a little over 40 yards, and they have three different shooting areas (it's a REALLY BIG barn). The use a two barrel stove and have to turn it down sometimes it gets so hot!!!

Years ago we had one in bedroom of a ranch house made out of a beer keg that was pretty cool and worked pretty good .

I'll try to get a couple of pics if I can figure this out. Eventually heat exchangers will be added to the system and hot water run thru the pex pipe system that I istalled in the concrete when my sons and I built the building

The building is 30 x 60 with 30' shop area uninsulated as of now and 30' of living area. This has been a DIY project with the help of my kids and good friends who volunteered to work cheap.[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast