Thread: Can you legally buy a deer mount in your state??

Can you legally buy a deer mount in your state??

There will be a deer expo in Asheville NC in a couple weeks. I contacted the organization running the expo and asked what type of vendors would be there along with a question of would there be taxidermists there with mounts to sell. They answered back there would be taxidermists there, but that it is illegal to sell a deer mount in NC if the deer was originally a NC deer. Therefore, he would be displaying various mounts, but none could be sold. Is this normal?? I always assumed a mount was no different than any other piece of personal property such as an old lawnmower. If you obtained something legally in the first place, why couldn't you legally sell it??

They are going to auction off a caribou mount though for a fundraiser.

One day when the budget permits, I would like to buy a couple mounts of African game. I will never go there, so buying someone elses 30 year old mount will be my only option.

I dont know about legal but here in Indiana theres are deer mounts for sale at every flea market or antique shop you go into. Some of them really look like antiques too.lol

Very few people know if it's legal or not. Lots of people get away with it, but that doesn't make it legal. Not legal in Ohio. Buying african is entirely different since they're not native.

Yes...
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

from what I understand, if the animal was legally harvested then it can be legally sold
    '07 Hoyt Vectrix XL
    29' #70, Axis N-fused 340, Slick Tricks, Ripcord, HHA, Carter release
    Vortex optics, John's Customs strings, Lone Wolf, Predator Deception camo

The way that I read the Alabama laws you can sell deer hides and hooves. So you can sell a doe mount or a buck mount if you use plastic antlers. The natural antlers are not to be sold.

It is 100% most definitely illegal in KY. I have a friend who got into some serious trouble for selling on ebay. He had no idea it was against the law. Game wardens and State troopers pulled in his driveway one night and took every mount he had and threatened to take his guns and bows. He got out of it by pleading stupidity and pulling his stuff off of ebay.
    Hoyt Faktor 30, Vital Gear Sights, QAD Hoyt HDX, Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, Slick Trick Mags

yes

I know of a pawn shop with a few mounts for sale in Kentucky but I guess you can sell anything in a pawn shop. Don't know of its legal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nogoodreezen View Post
    It is 100% most definitely illegal in KY. I have a friend who got into some serious trouble for selling on ebay. He had no idea it was against the law. Game wardens and State troopers pulled in his driveway one night and took every mount he had and threatened to take his guns and bows. He got out of it by pleading stupidity and pulling his stuff off of ebay.

you can't do it in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon21 View Post
    There will be a deer expo in Asheville NC in a couple weeks. I contacted the organization running the expo and asked what type of vendors would be there along with a question of would there be taxidermists there with mounts to sell. They answered back there would be taxidermists there, but that it is illegal to sell a deer mount in NC if the deer was originally a NC deer. Therefore, he would be displaying various mounts, but none could be sold. Is this normal?? I always assumed a mount was no different than any other piece of personal property such as an old lawnmower. If you obtained something legally in the first place, why couldn't you legally sell it??

They are going to auction off a caribou mount though for a fundraiser.

One day when the budget permits, I would like to buy a couple mounts of African game. I will never go there, so buying someone elses 30 year old mount will be my only option.

I have seen deer heads forsale in pawn shops. So i dont see why you couldn't buy a deer head. I would have to contact NC game commision about this.
    Bowtech Invasion Black Ops
    Bowtech General apg
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” Thomas Jefferson