Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does eating too much wild game cause gout?

Does eating too much wild game cause gout?

Has anyone on AT had gout? What causes it? What are the symptoms? How old are most men when they begin to suffer from gout? If I have it, how can I get rid of it? Thanks!

You can't shoot a big one if you shoot a little one first.
    You can't shoot anything if you aren't out trying.

your'e scarring me Will. i've been eating nothing but deer and elk for 2 months straight.
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Gout is caused by high levels of Uric acid that builds up in the joints. High levels of Uric Acid have been linked to eating "organ" meat. Symptoms are joint pain usually accompanied by swelling. Usually seen in individuals over 50 but this does not mean younger people can't have it. Diet and genetics can play a role. If you think you have Gout I suggest you see your doctor since there are medications that you can take to reduce your level of Uric Acid.
    2014 Elite Energy 35 Xtra #70/2013 Elite Answer AP #70/B-Stinger 10.25 APG 8 oz.
    TightSpot APG / Easton ACC Pro Hunter 340/ 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips
    Tru Ball Beast Release/ HHA DS-5519/CBE Tek Hybrid / Limbdriver Pro-V

Sounds like an ad for a pharmaceutical company. But, yes its exactly how dwagaman said. It isn't something to mess with. That's why I don't eat any animal organs.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhntng4evr View Post
    Sounds like an ad for a pharmaceutical company. But, yes its exactly how dwagaman said. It isn't something to mess with. That's why I don't eat any animal organs.
    wheewwwwwwwwwh, i think i'll be ok. organs never did appeal to me.
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

it is also related very closely to being Jewish .
    Eating lots of acidic cheap food - think bad catsup , and sub par kosher meats
    Manachovitz , matzo balls , and cheap groceries in general

also asking your doctor if it is ok to get your fart arse up off the couch helps in certin cases , medication is may or may not cause oily anal leakage .....

"Diet and genetics can play a role" - see above

"I suggest you see your doctor since there are medications that you can take to reduce your level of Uric "Acid.- again see above- ref ... oily leakage part

Well I don't eat any organs except whatever is in the occasional hot dog. My big toe hurts like heck for no apparent reason. I didn't do anything to hurt it and I don't drink anymore so I'd remember. It hurts to walk on it, to bend it, and the big joint is sore when I poke or squeeze it. I eat a lot of meat and I'm just curious. I'm hoping it goes away on it's own but I don't know what "it" is. I'm only 31 and I'm worried that if it is the gout I might have to start eating soy products and join the USUS. Ehh I'd rather starve.

Quote Originally Posted by yetanotheryeti View Post
    it is also related very closely to being Jewish .
    Eating lots of acidic cheap food - think bad catsup , and sub par kosher meats
    Manachovitz , matzo balls , and cheap groceries in general

also asking your doctor if it is ok to get your fart arse up off the couch helps in certin cases , medication is may or may not cause oily anal leakage .....

"Diet and genetics can play a role" - see above

"I suggest you see your doctor since there are medications that you can take to reduce your level of Uric "Acid.- again see above- ref ... oily leakage part
    Are you speaking from experience? That sounds unpleasant. I only like my anus to do it's job on command. And I am not Jewish and do not eat much kosher cuisine.

I got gout in my early thirties also. It also started in my big toe which is very normal location for it. I would compare the pain to my kindey stones. It took me over a hour to get a sock and shoe on that foot to go to the doctor.

Yes they have medication for the pain you are having now. And a simple blood test to check your uric acid level. To see if you need to be placed on medication to change the uric acid level.

Go see the doctor the pain is not worth it.

Big toe could be alot of things other than Gout. Ride it out and see what happens but I must admit the oily anal leakage thing sounds kinda fun........
    2014 Elite Energy 35 Xtra #70/2013 Elite Answer AP #70/B-Stinger 10.25 APG 8 oz.
    TightSpot APG / Easton ACC Pro Hunter 340/ 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips
    Tru Ball Beast Release/ HHA DS-5519/CBE Tek Hybrid / Limbdriver Pro-V

Quote Originally Posted by mejer View Post
    I got gout in my early thirties also. It also started in my big toe which is very normal location for it. I would compare the pain to my kindey stones. It took me over a hour to get a sock and shoe on that foot to go to the doctor.

Yes they have medication for the pain you are having now. And a simple blood test to check your uric acid level. To see if you need to be placed on medication to change the uric acid level.

Go see the doctor the pain is not worth it.
    Well the pain isn't that bad yet. Just enough to make me limp. But it's not getting any better either. If it gets so bad that I have trouble putting socks on I'll definitely go to the doc. How fast does the pain come on? Mine's been hanging around for almost a week.

If you got gout. Go take a pill a day. Medicicne cheap and it works. The alternative hurts alot.
    Being over weight often is the main reason.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

my brother has gout & he dont eat wild game at all....loves those veggies tho.
    stephen J.Bear...

The joint in your big toe is ultra sensitive and if you stubbed it in any way (even without noticing it at the time) you could have spained it. This is how profossioanal athletes develope "turf toe". Deon Sanders and Sterling Sharp cut their carrers shot because of it. The only way to fix it is rest, but nearly impossible because most of us can't afford not to work.
    EVIL EVO
    IBA Hunting/Hogan Pt. Farms
    Tree Saddle Assassin

If eating game causes it. I woud have it by now. At home we have eaten no beef for years (outside the occasional eating out). Deer makes up 75% of our meat intake. The rest is split but mostly poultry.
    Anyone else sick of working to support those who don't?
    Anyone else sick of obeying laws made because idiots don't care about facts?
    Anyone else sick of people telling you to be polite about everything?
    I'm wondering how we got to this point.

If you have gout you will think you broke something. Very painful!

I've suffered from gout for 20 yrs. I get it in my toes knees elbows and hands. It is not fun and the medicine only works part of the time. As to what causes it is just according to what you read or which doctor you talk to. There are many different theory's on this.
    PSE x-force SS Truglo sight NAP Apache rest beman ics hunter Ramcat and Gravedigger broadheads

motrin and plenty cranberry juice to help flush uric acid out of body

I know for me eating too much wild game doesn't cause Gout but it sure does cause Gas
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyHOYT View Post
    Hunting shows have turned a once proud part of our heritage into a contest of inches. No wonder society sees hunting more and more in a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagaman View Post
    Big toe could be alot of things other than Gout. Ride it out and see what happens but I must admit the oily anal leakage thing sounds kinda fun........
    Heck yeah, Man Law 101!!! If you wake up and pee blood one morning what do ya do??? Pee with the lights off for the next 30 days and hope for the best. I did this with what I thought was a cold/chest congestion, and had to have open heart surgery at 34yrs old. Go See Your Doctor after a day or two, it's not worth waiting.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

A guy I work with gets gout about once every couple months. He eats a lot of organ meats at home and knows that's what causes it but still eats that crap like crazy. Chicken gizzards and tripas are his wekness.
    His ankle and knee will get all swelled up like a hominy and he limps around but finally gets over it in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 123 4/8 P&Y View Post
    Well I don't eat any organs except whatever is in the occasional hot dog. My big toe hurts like heck for no apparent reason. I didn't do anything to hurt it and I don't drink anymore so I'd remember. It hurts to walk on it, to bend it, and the big joint is sore when I poke or squeeze it. I eat a lot of meat and I'm just curious. I'm hoping it goes away on it's own but I don't know what "it" is. I'm only 31 and I'm worried that if it is the gout I might have to start eating soy products and join the USUS. Ehh I'd rather starve.
    I got it once almost two years ago at age 40. (self diagnosis no doctor) Just like you.....I didn't do anything to it I just woke up one day and the joint where my big toe attaches to my foot hurt like hell. It did go away on its own in less than a week. But man it was really uncomfortable for that week. It didn't stop me from getting around totally but I was limping around like Rage shot deer for 5-6 days. (sorry couldn't resist haha)

It hasn't been back in the last 2 years thankfully.

I do not eat excessive amounts of wild game so I know that is probably not the cause. We probably eat 2 deer a year around here between 5 people along with a couple 3-4 pots of squirrel and/or rabbit stew.
    You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ya JackWagon

If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice.

I'm 36, I was on a protein diet this past summer to drop some lbs. I was in ILL. hunting when it caught up to me in my left big toe, thats the most pain I have been in, I could barely get my boot on. The Dr. told that all the meat I was eating during the summer probably caused the uric acid bulid up. I am back to eating carbs so far so good.

my dasd has had it for years,pure cherry juice works for him unless he gets a really bad case. he cant lay of the beers either which is not good for it.

I gout it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast