a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Ozonics really work?

Does Ozonics really work?

Hi, AT followers! I want to know your thoughts on Ozonics! Does it really work? How do you know it works (but it has to be concrete evidence, no one knows what the deer is thinking) Is it safe? How many of you know what ozone is and what it does? I know where I stand on this product, but I want to see what more of the hunting community think about it.

Thanks

I havent used it, but would be intersted to know others experience. Judging by your post it sounds like you already have an opinion- likely a negative one, and will be filling us in shortly?

i have never used the ozonics but I am on the log6 pro staff. Ozone is NOT safe to inhale. The log6 uses a sealed container to treat your clothes. You can also use it in a car or closet without being inside of it. Yes it eliminates odors on clothing. I dont know if id want it blowing out over me in a tree but there must be enough oxygen to balance it. What I dont understand is how its supposed to treat anything when its being dispersed outside of a closed in area. Thats not how ozone technology deodorizes from what I understand.

I hope their product works better than their advertising. They've had an invalid "Give away" banner on AT for a long time.
    Anyway, they aren't unique. Search "ozone machine". There are many and are used in different industries.

I've been using them for 2 years now. Do they work? Absolutely - without a doubt! We have so much proof on-video now from all our guys using them and what-not. Just remember, the industry in-general is very "tied-in" with the scent elimination $$$$. They won't tell you carbon clothing, sprays, all that other stuff has been scientifically disproven against animals noses. They'll try to disprove Ozonic's because there is just alot of $$$ at stake. With that being said, Ozonic's works. Give it a try - if you don't believe it works Ozonic's offers a 100% money-back guarantee! They are the only ones out there that can back their product up against the nose of a whitetail I can assure you!

Quote Originally Posted by WKP - Todd View Post
    I've been using them for 2 years now. Do they work? Absolutely - without a doubt! We have so much proof on-video now from all our guys using them and what-not. Just remember, the industry in-general is very "tied-in" with the scent elimination $$$$. They won't tell you carbon clothing, sprays, all that other stuff has been scientifically disproven against animals noses. They'll try to disprove Ozonic's because there is just alot of $$$ at stake. With that being said, Ozonic's works. Give it a try - if you don't believe it works Ozonic's offers a 100% money-back guarantee! They are the only ones out there that can back their product up against the nose of a whitetail I can assure you!
    maybe you could show it at work in some of your videos. i dont think ive ever noticed it in one. if im wrong, please link me to it.

Ozone does indeed kill odor causing bacteria and such.

But it most definitely is not the safest thing one could use.

Ozone has been used in water filtration a long time. We used on on aquariums many many years ago and the dangers of it
    'leaking' out into the house were known even then and precautions had to be taken.

I don't know how well ozone works on manmade/synthetic type odors.

But I do seem to remember that it can degrade rubber and some plastics?
    If so it may damage things like boots.

I would definitely recommend people read up on the dangers of ozone use so they are aware of the potential
    side effects of using it for odor control.
    You know what makes me sad? YOU DO ya JackWagon

If you choose not to decide....you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by WKP - Todd View Post
    When I was asking for concrete evidence, I was talking about testing the product using sound science which means employing the scientific method in order to investigate the effectiveness of the machine. Hunting videos are by no means a scientific method. There are far too many variables and for one you are not taking into consideration the individualism of the animal itself. Deer, like humans have different personalities and will act differently in given situations. I have heard this a number of times now about how the proof is in the hunting videos, but until you can back this with a sound scientific experiment it is nothing more than a false claim.

Jlh42581, is spot on in his analysis! Ozone is not safe! It is an oxidizing agent, which you DO NOT want to breathe. Think about this, all smells come from organic compounds and ozone oxidizes the compounds to eliminate the smell. The human body is also made up of organic compounds, therefore ozone will also oxidize you. No oxidizing agent is safe to be exposed to! Jay Gregory from The Wild Outdoors has said that "it is safe in the types of doses we are using it at", however, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in order to effectively eliminate odor causing chemicals, bacteria and other pathogens, ozone would have to be produced at concentrations that exceed the public health standards that are deemed immediately dangerous to life or health. So basically, Ozonics machines are doing one of two things; they are either eliminating your scent and exposing you to dangerous levels of ozone or they are completely ineffective because they are not generating enough ozone. One more thing to consider is that the ozone is being produced in an open environment. As already stated by Jlh42581 above, the ozone is just going to blow away and move around in the environment, not giving you the ozone blanket that Ozonics claims on their website.

And there it is.

Once again, I have no experience with the product but also think there is something to it. Seems silly to come on to a hunting board and ask for evidence for a product working- especially when you are convinced that it isnt legit to begin with (or legit but not safe). It is doubtful that someone is going to come on here and copy and paste peer reviewed research or the proof you are looking for since it is a hunting board and not a science forum.

I agree. The problem is, consumers aren't always going to get accurate information from the companies themselves. I just wanted to see how many hunters on here have had the wool pulled over their eyes and provide a little bit of information so that maybe my fellow hunters will do a little research and possibly protect themselves and their families from products like this.

I'm just wondering how you "scientifically prove" anything related to scent when it comes to deer. It seems most of the proof in this field is, well, in the field. I actually have no stake in this conversation, I don't own one and likely won't But if I find it gives me a distinct advantage, it will be through the recommendations of my friends or family. Not an ad, or a paid personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Binney59 View Post
    And there it is.

Once again, I have no experience with the product but also think there is something to it. Seems silly to come on to a hunting board and ask for evidence for a product working- especially when you are convinced that it isnt legit to begin with (or legit but not safe). It is doubtful that someone is going to come on here and copy and paste peer reviewed research or the proof you are looking for since it is a hunting board and not a science forum.
    I dunno how much research went into these type of products but the information should be available upon request from any Manufacturer/Representative/Seller. If they won't...or can't because there is no information to give....what does that say about the product?

Here is a quote from a Ozonics website:
    WHY USE OZONE?

Ozone is a safe, but powerful oxidizing agent, that can sanitize biological products and kill bacteria. Ozone has 150 percent of the oxidizing potential of chlorine and twice the oxidizing potential of bromine. Unlike the dangers associated with chlorine and bromine, ozone is a safe, naturally occurring compound that can be recognized as the sweet, fresh smell after a rain shower.

Ozone is present in the earth’s atmosphere to purify the air we breathe. However, it has also been used in other capacities, including:

• Purifying a large amount of our nation’s drinking water.
    • Bacteria removal and operating room sterilization in hospitals.
    • Smoke and mold removal from fire damaged buildings.
    •Air purification in some of the nation’s best hotels, restaurants and health-conscious homes to remove pollen and dust.
    •With the HR 200/150, ozone is now available to hunters for a more enjoyable and productive hunt.
    Here is a quote from a similar products website:
    * While high concentrations of ozone in air may sometimes be appropriate in these circumstances, conditions should be sufficiently controlled to insure that no person or pet becomes exposed. Ozone can adversely affect indoor plants, and damage materials such as rubber, electrical wire coatings, and fabrics and art work containing susceptible dyes and pigments (U.S. EPA, 1996a).
    150% stronger than chlorine
    2x stronger than bromine
    harmful to indoor plants
    damages rubber and electrical wire coating

But it is a safe naturally occurring compound with a sweet fresh smell.

It does kind of sound like they are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

At least the second products page does warn to make sure people and pets are not exposed.

I purchased a Hunter X ozone generator 2 years ago. I had been trying to justify buying it to my wife when I had the perfect opportunity to use it after my German Shepherd got sprayed by a skunk. The Pro shop that I buy most of my gear from had took in a Moxy scent eliminating system,and put it to the test, after thoroughly testing the Moxy they determined that it wasn't worth the Money because the unit only eliminated certain scents. When they tested the Hunter X, it eliminated all scents!!!! These are the same ozone generators that the hotel and auto detailing industry have been using for decades to eliminate smoke and Odors from rooms and automobiles. When I received my Hunter X I took it out, plugged it in locked the cat and dog in the garage, and when I came home 3 hours later the smell was gone. Yes ozone is not safe to breath and doe's degrade rubber!!! I put my Hunter X in a 4 x 6 Well cargo trailer with my clothes and back pack and don't wash my clothing but a few times a year. (Obviously I wash it when It get bloody or Soiled) My brother has his in his basement and puts it in a ground blind and it works flawlessly!!! From what I read about Ozone is that it falls harmlessly to the ground when the unit is not in operation. My clothing smells like it was left out in a thunderstorm when I head to the woods!!! (Except it's dry!!!!) I have never had scent control issues with with or without the Hunter X, but I wash my clothing a hell of a lot less!!! The owners of my pro shop and the other pro's working there use the Hunter X ozone generator when they go out West hunting Elk and Mule deer, run the unit in there truck with their clothing, because they don't have laundry facilities and say that it works flawlessly. If you have any questions I will answer them honestly because I have nothing to gain or lose!!! Toonster

Ozone will make anything smell like bleach, a side effect that you cant get around. Ozone will effectively "kill" any odors, but will also dry out any rubber or plastics exposed to it years before its expected life cycle ends, yes slowly but it will happen and you cant get around it either. I used Ozone for years for its antibacterial properties in my position as a industrial engineer (didnt have a choice).... yes Ozone will effectively kill any odor it comes into contact with. But Ozone effectively eats almost anything it comes into contacts with also.

Oxygen occurs naturally in the atmosphere as O2. Ozone occurs naturally in the atmosphere as O3, three oxygen molecules bound together. It is created every time lightning strikes, and is, in fact, that 'fresh' or 'clean' smell in the air after a thunderstorm. It kills odors by oxidizing them and breaking the odor molecules down into simpler molecules that do not register on olfactory organs.

Exposure to levels of ozone necessary to kill bacteria is not the same as exposure levels necessary to eliminate odors. (much less is required to kill odors) Do not conclude that it is unsafe because levels necessary to kill pathogens ARE NOT the levels necessary to break down odor molecules. Your equating the two is absurd. If you're going to advocate against it, do so honestly.

"No oxidizing agent is safe to be exposed to!"
    The oxygen we breathe and depend on for our survival is an oxidizing agent. Are you purposefully engaging in useless hyperbole or did you just not realize this?
    S.W.A.T.
    Serious
    Whitetail
    Annihilation
    Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by N. Dawoods View Post
    Oxygen occurs naturally in the atmosphere as O2. Ozone occurs naturally in the atmosphere as O3, three oxygen molecules bound together. It is created every time lightning strikes, and is, in fact, that 'fresh' or 'clean' smell in the air after a thunderstorm. It kills odors by oxidizing them and breaking the odor molecules down into simpler molecules that do not register on olfactory organs.

Exposure to levels of ozone necessary to kill bacteria is not the same as exposure levels necessary to eliminate odors. (much less is required to kill odors) Do not conclude that it is unsafe because levels necessary to kill pathogens ARE NOT the levels necessary to break down odor molecules. Your equating the two is absurd. If you're going to advocate against it, do so honestly.

The oxygen we breathe and depend on for our survival is an oxidizing agent. Are you purposefully engaging in useless hyperbole or did you just not realize this?
    ok....but I sort of equate the two since bacteria are, in fact, the cause of many odors. It doesn't make any sense to use a product like this and only eliminate odors and not the bacteria that will just create more odor.

How much ozone exposure is required to kill most bacteria?
    How much exposure to kill odors?

How much ozone is considered a hazard?
    And lastly how much ozone are these devices making?

Quote Originally Posted by trebor69 View Post
    ok....but I sort of equate the two since bacteria are, in fact, the cause of many odors. It doesn't make any sense to use a product like this and only eliminate odors and not the bacteria that will just create more odor.

The bleach smell should give you a hint.... much higher concentrations than you are exposed to in the wild.

All it is, is an air purifier. They work real well. Ozone kills mold, smoke and pretty much any odor out there. I say, just clean your clothes in Atsko detergent and then use a smoker with wood chips from the area you hunt.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

Quote Originally Posted by jlh42581 View Post
    maybe you could show it at work in some of your videos. i dont think ive ever noticed it in one. if im wrong, please link me to it.
    You should probably rewatch "Ground Zero" which was released at the first of 2010. You obviously missed it.
    PREDATOR FALL GREY HOYT ALPHABURNER, QAD Ultra HD Pro Series , MBG ALL-GREEN Custom 5 pin Ascent, HOYT Arrow Rack 1 piece Quiver, DOINKER TACTICAL, YETI side plates, Bling Sling, Easton FMJ, Blazers, GRIM REAPERS/RAGE HYPODERMICS, Carter RX2
    COME NOVEMBER...

I could be completely wrong on this, but I was under the impression that there are two different types of ozone units used for hunting (ozonics and log-6). I think that the ozonics unit is designed to be used in the field, and does not necessarily need to kill all the bacteria in the clothes while in the field, but just to create a scent free zone under your stand. A unit like the log-6 is used to kill odor in clothes and is used in a tote or confined area. Maybe there is no difference in the amount of ozone produced by either, but as was explained earlier, you might be able to get away with less ozone to create the "curtain" effect they advertise while in the woods.

Keep the feedback coming, there has to be more people who have used this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Binney59 View Post
    And there it is.

Yeah, never would have expected that.
    '12 Elite Answer 60#

It is next to impossible to eliminate bacteria from your skin. The most effective method of reduction is vigorous scrubbing with an antibacterial. (think surgical prep) An external device like the ozonics cannot eliminate any significant portion of the bacteria on your skin (other than exposed areas) because of dispersal and having to penetrate clothing passively.

Killing bacteria with ozone requires rupturing the cell wall or compromising metabolism/reproduction which involves enough ozone 'attacking' the organism to overwhelm it. Chemical conversion of an odor molecule can take as little as a single ozone molecule. It comes down to size. Relatively speaking, bacteria are HUGE compared to an odor molecule.

I would have to look up how much exposure is harmful (someone else be my guest) and I don't know what the output is. I would assume the output is adjustable.

Using ozone to eliminate scent from your clothing at home undoubtably works, just be aware that it can bleach your clothing if used excessively.
    S.W.A.T.
    Serious
    Whitetail
    Annihilation
    Tactics

It doesn't make any sense to use a product like this and only eliminate odors and not the bacteria that will just create more odor.

Bacteria require food (your sweat and other secretions) to create odor. The most effective scent control involves keeping yourself CLEAN and minimizing sweat and foreign odor contact. Trying to eliminate all bacteria is a losing proposition. There are too many of them, and they grow exponentially. The best you can hope for is to keep them under control and don't encourage their growth (sweat or lack of hygeine) They occur naturally on your body, and you're never getting rid of them. Neither is ozone.
    S.W.A.T.
    Serious
    Whitetail
    Annihilation
    Tactics

On the next episode of Whitetails, Inc. "The Big Bucks of 2010 - Part 2" we will show you a 4-1/2 year old bucks reaction to the ozone coming from our blind. Its clearly shows that the buck smells what's coming from the ground blind. I'll let you know when it's up and running. If you can, check out the promotional video's we have done for Ozonic's. We have dozens and dozens of encounters with whitetails of every age class from multiple states. Many of them shown downwind with milk weeds streaming toward / over them. When a deer is walking down-wind, hits our scentline, stops - lifts it's nose, and keeps walking; I call that a success! And it happens over and over and over again. I never got snorted at the entire season while hunting 60+ days. That is the truth!

I used the ozonics HR-200 this past fall. Does it work? Maybe in a controlled envirement. Here in Pa. where i hunt the wind shifts constantly and no matter how many times i adjusted it it would be blowing in my face alot. Started making me sick after a few weeks. So i sold it. Lost $250 on the deal. It works on clothing and gear in a closed closet or container but after useing it, its just not practical outdoors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast