Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in public places like a city park?

Shooting in public places like a city park?

This might sound like a dumb question...but I'm curious to know if anyone here has ever practiced archery in a public place—like a city park?

I ask because there are some big, nice parks (with a lot of space) in the town where I work...and I've been wondering if I could get away with practicing there during my lunch breaks? (I'd just use one of those lightweight foam target blocks.)

Obviously I know it would be a non-starter if I were to shoot where a stray arrow could threaten anyone's safety. But this particular park has a spot I'm thinking of that is basically a big bowl—a 30-yard diameter flat area surrounded by 10-15' high grass-covered embankments all the way around...and it's not an official "play area" in the park (more like a drainage area).

So as long as I'm not shooting up toward the sky, every arrow would be stopped by the embankment. Furthermore, during lunchtime on weekdays this particular park is virtually empty—almost nobody around.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this...and what the general public attitude is toward archery.

Would people think of it like shooting a gun and totally freak out? Or do most people think of archery as less dangerous (even though we know otherwise) and not get bent over it?

I'm also guessing the local town government has no ordinances on the books specifically banning archery in town parks...

Scott

Id be careful and check with your city or local government. Most cities do not allow the discarge of firearms...archery equipment included. If your local government allows it, and its in an area you can do it in a safe manner do it.
    2011 Bowtech Invasion CPX Black Ops, 62lbs, G5 expert pro
    2008 Diamond Nitrous, 65 lbs, G5 expert II rest.
    2007 Bowtech Guardian, 65 lbs, Goldtip Ted Nugent Signature series 5575, roughly 288fps.
    2007 Bowtech allegiance, Easton Full Metal Jackets, g5 expert II, 65 lbs

I wouldn't try anything which might even come close to taking away my rights to arms......the Gov't and the left are trying everything they can to take away your rights everyday to own weapons..........

A friend and I shot right on the edge of a park where no one could see us and the cops here didn't care.

And when I used to live in a apt. I used to shoot in a open field that was forsale and cops used to park their and just watch us.

But I would check with the parks dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Termie View Post
    Id be careful and check with your city or local government. Most cities do not allow the discarge of firearms...archery equipment included. If your local government allows it, and its in an area you can do it in a safe manner do it.
    Interesting...ok. I'll have to look into that. It didn't occur to me that bows and arrows might be classified as "firearms." Seems a bit dumb...but I guess it makes sense from a safety perspective.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by double o View Post
    A friend and I shot right on the edge of a park where no one could see us and the cops here didn't care.

And when I used to live in a apt. I used to shoot in a open field that was forsale and cops used to park their and just watch us.

But I would check with the parks dept.
    Hmm...I'm 100% certain that if I actually asked anyone they'd say "No way." LOL (Because everyone would always err on the safe side even if they really didn't know whether it was legal or not.) So I'm just wondering if it might be one of those "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission" situations...or just to play dumb? (I doubt you'd get arrested for it—probably more likely to get a warning and be told "Don't do it.")

Scott

In our town you can shoot your bow in the city but not in a public park.
    Archer's Den Shooting Staff

Shoot first...ask questions later...
    In ASAT, Carter & Easton Axis I trust

to my knowledge there isn't a city that will let you shoot in a city park unless there is a designated area for archery.

Sounds like a bad idea, anyway you slice it. The liabilty is just too great.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30/ Easton FMJ's/ Grave Digger D6 Broadheads
    Hoyt Spyder 30/ Easton Carbon Hexx 17% FOC/ Grave Digger Broadheads

Most of the towns around me have an ordinance against anything that causes a projectile, from throwing rocks all the way to and everything in between firearms

It's not firearms.. But it could be 'discharging of weapons'.... Which could include slingshots, blowguns, and pellet guns... Call parks dept, and see if there are any designated outdoor archery areas in your town...
    STROTHERS Inspire and PSE Dominator Max, Dreamcatcher Strings in 8190,
    FeatherVision lens, CBE target elite, AxisPro and AEP stabilizers, 2314's, Stan Black Pearl release...

The state parks I live near by allow you to hunt... but not shoot at targets. They dont mess around if caught..Summed up by saying you are allowed to shoot at a living animal but not a target.

Hmm...surprising you can hunt but not target shoot in some state parks. I have a good setup in my backyard...I'm just trying to find someplace I can shoot on my lunch break! (Someplace close to the office...and alas, no indoor ranges in this town—Hagerstown, MD.)

Scott

Ahh I know where your at. I lived in MD my whole life till moving to CO in 07. Don't shoot your bow in any city park in MD. I was lucky to just get off with a warning but the cop was not very pleased with me and his tone was proof lol.

Here in Socal, arrows are a projectile and can get you cited, if not arrested in the city limits. Unfortunately, it's not the rule of law that often takes precedence, but the rule of man (the Man). So the outcome almost always depends on who stops you, and the mood they're in at the time.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...not a government agency.

2013 Hoyt Spyder, Snow Camo w/7 pin Spot Hog Hunter/Hoyt ULTRA REST™/Fuse Sidekick stab w/Scott Rhino XT./ Orange Pro Comp Elite, Trophy Taker Rest, CBE sight, X 10 Stabilizers, Mako Pro Release

Quote Originally Posted by noonesbusiness View Post
    Ahh I know where your at. I lived in MD my whole life till moving to CO in 07. Don't shoot your bow in any city park in MD. I was lucky to just get off with a warning but the cop was not very pleased with me and his tone was proof lol.
    Isn't MD as bad a the Left coast?
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...not a government agency.

2013 Hoyt Spyder, Snow Camo w/7 pin Spot Hog Hunter/Hoyt ULTRA REST™/Fuse Sidekick stab w/Scott Rhino XT./ Orange Pro Comp Elite, Trophy Taker Rest, CBE sight, X 10 Stabilizers, Mako Pro Release

Quote Originally Posted by 1955 View Post
    Isn't MD as bad a the Left coast?
    Yeah MD has turned very liberal. CO is liberal in areas like Denver and boulder. Most other places are conservative here. I'm unlucky in that I live near the darn liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by noonesbusiness View Post
    Yeah MD has turned very liberal. CO is liberal in areas like Denver and boulder. Most other places are conservative here. I'm unlucky in that I live near the darn liberals.
    It does SUCK! Fortunately, I'm in the archery shop all day, every day and it's full of nothing but hard core conservatives. It's like an oasis out here.

In Houston there is an ordinance that says it is illegal to shoot archery equipment in a City Park. The good news is since this is the only ordinance about archery equipment by stating is that way it makes it legal in the rest of the city.

Be careful to not bring more negative publicity to this sport. I appreciate that you are asking here...public perception can be so easily shaped negatively (media).
    2013 Elite Hunter

Hey watch it—I'm a liberal and I shoot guns 'n bows, drive a truck, hunt, fish, drink beer, have neighbors in trailers, have direct ancestors who lived in Jamestown in 1607...and I voted for Obama! Not all liberals are fancy-pants metrosexuals hugging trees. LOL But hey, we're all friends here, right?

Good feedback from everyone. Guess I won't try shooting in the local park (definitely don't want to generate any bad PR for archery...).

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    Hey watch it—I'm a liberal and I shoot guns 'n bows, drive a truck, hunt, fish, drink beer, have neighbors in trailers, have direct ancestors who lived in Jamestown in 1607...and I voted for Obama! Not all liberals are fancy-pants metrosexuals hugging trees. LOL But hey, we're all friends here, right?

Good feedback from everyone. Guess I won't try shooting in the local park (definitely don't want to generate any bad PR for archery...).

Scott
    Not friends if you voted for Obama.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30/ Easton FMJ's/ Grave Digger D6 Broadheads
    Hoyt Spyder 30/ Easton Carbon Hexx 17% FOC/ Grave Digger Broadheads

I do all the time, but I checked with the city about their shooting laws and got approval before doing it. I love it cause I can practice field out to 90meters or even further.
    Hmmm... 335fps with a 32" a-a bow with a 7"bh? Tha's a smokin'! I won't complain for getting 342 out of it either! Bowtech Experience!
    TOP OF UTAH ARCHERY - Dealer for Bowtech, Diamond, PSEPro and Mainline, MATHEWS & MISSION (new) Martin, Rytera, Alpine, Bear, Parker, Browning, and a few more... Looking for something special? Let's deal!

Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post

Scott
    You might not want to say all that too loud here on AT...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast