a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Trouble! Plastic vanes getting ripped off when I shoot

Trouble! Plastic vanes getting ripped off when I shoot

The one that's ripping off is the one on the left (If you lay the arrow on the ground, point end in front, and the index feather on the top, it's the one to the left)

I'm shooting a PSE King fisher, it's a recurve just in case you didn't know.

#45 at 28, and I have a 30 inch draw.

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to start buying arrows, removing the plastic vanes, and fletching on real feathers.

I already picked out the jig I want, it's the Bohning jig. 35 bucks.

Have I chose right? From what I read, there is nothing you can do when shooting a trad bow.

If anyone knows of a way so I won't have to do this, then I would appreciate it

Thanks

Are you shooting off the shelf or off a elevated rest?

Most of the time your cock vane should be facing out while nocked.

I'm shooting off the shelf.

I assume the cock feather is the odd colored one?

What arrows are you shooting?

There's your problem..if your shooting off the shelf you need feathers. If you wanna shoot vanes, you'll need a elevated rest.
    Yes the cock vanes if the odd one.

AndrewArcher:

You need to back up and start over. If you want to learn and not just play wannabe games, drop the "I've been shooting stickbows all my life" and that you have been building your own bows since you were 8 years old, and listen up. It's quite obvious you know very little about shooting/tuning a bow... and it ain't no sin.

At first you said you have a 34" draw, then you said you have a 33" draw, then you said you have a 31" draw, and now you say you have a 30" draw....and shooting 28" shafts? Which is it? Until you finally determine beyond any doubt what your actual draw-length is and match the correct shafts to your bow...and properly set them up...you're p....ing in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
    AndrewArcher:

You need to back up and start over. If you want to learn and not just play wannabe games, drop the "I've been shooting stickbows all my life" and that you have been building your own bows since you were 8 years old, and listen up. It's quite obvious you know very little about shooting/tuning a bow... and it ain't no sin.

At first you said you have a 34" draw, then you said you have a 33" draw, then you said you have a 31" draw, and now you say you have a 30" draw....and shooting 28" shafts? Which is it? Until you finally determine beyond any doubt what your actual draw-length is and match the correct shafts to your bow...and properly set them up...you're p....ing in the wind.
    That point does relevate don't it....

AndrewArcher:

I have been shooting stickbows all my life.

I never claimed to know much about it though.

I know I have said different draw lengths. But with some help from other people I have gotten my stance down, and correct shooting form. I have finally established that I have a 30 inch draw.

And I don't believe I said I'm shooting 28 inch shafts

Thanks

I've figured out a solution anyways.

Thanks everyone

AndrewArcher:

I just realized that I have probably come across as cocky. That was not my intention.

When I said "I've been shooting stick bows all my life." I didn't mean to say I was very experienced. The bows I have been shooting were poorly constructed pieces of wood with thin tent polls as arrows.

I have owned a total of 6 aluminum arrows in my life lol.

I know next to nothing about shooting. The reason I keep mis judging my draw length is because of the horrible habits I've developed from never learning correct form. I was turning to the side and pulling back too far.

And I also have no one to talk to about this because no one in my family is into archery.

I have spent a little bit of time now learning the basics of archery. And I really believe that I have found my correct draw length.

I'm going to stay off of AT for awhile simply because I appear to be frustrating people and I don't really know enough to even be posting in here lol XD

Once I learn the basics I will come back on.

Thank you all for being so helpful and patient.

And thank you WindWalker for all your advice. You've been quite helpful.

And I will take your advice and start from the beginning.

Thanks

get vipers book, i think you will find it a great help. "shooting the stickbow"

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewArcher View Post
    I'm going to stay off of AT for awhile simply because I appear to be frustrating people and I don't really know enough to even be posting in here lol XD...ks
    Well, I'm very v-e-r-y new to Archery Talk, but I doubt anyone's intent was to run you off. I'd offer they just want you to be as consistent as possible with the info you provide, so they can actually help you.

I've not had a Bow in 30+ years and the things I do remember could easily be clouded with time, totally WRONG, dreamed up, and maybe a few things actually correct. But, it is great to be able to ask questions from such a HUGE group of experienced folks. I feel sure some of the things I'll ask will make them wonder "What is he talking about?". but hopefully they can show me the right path.

Best of luck to you. Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

....but I doubt anyone's intent was to run you off.
    Ditto!

You shouldn't " stay off " the AT. There is an incredible amount of knowledge here to be shared. Some folks on this site just don't present themselevs well. In the future, be specific. Have enough initial information to give so others can help as best they can. This is a great tool for all.

Andrew, take a read of this.

Another page from that site may give you other info you can use.

Good form is good form for all archery.

Here's another good site.

If you still have vanes on, try raising your nock height a bit, say 1/4".