Thread: Trophy Taker Smackdown FC dropaway rest and Hoyt bows, any good?

Trophy Taker Smackdown FC dropaway rest and Hoyt bows, any good?

Just looking at the different rests out there for hunting and come across the trophy taker smackdown fc. It looks very well built which is a plus. Do you have to mess with any kind of timing of the rest at all if you connect it to the bottom limb? Do you just connect the cord to the limb and you are ready and timed to shoot? I would be putting it on my hoyt and possibly see a issue. With the hoyt's tec riser design, how hard is it to adjust the windage screw on the smackdown fc with the hoyt bridged riser design being in the way, or is it not in the way? Also, I see the smackdown fc has a rubber stopper on the shelf to quiet the launcher, but does the stopper act like a spring board and cause the launcher to bounce back up? Give me all the pros and cons of this rest. It looks like it works like the limbdriver but gives you containment with a more sturdy and durable build.

Does the rest have ample windage adjustment for the bow like Hoyt that usually tune around 13/16"? And, are you limited with windage going towards the riser? It seems the containment part of the rest might hit the rest itself and prevent you from tuning a bow that tunes close to the riser like a Mathews does.

I cant say about the SD but other TT drop downs with the containment fit on hoyts. FWIW I dont think the smackdown can bounce since the limb pulls it down, it would have to stretch the connecting rope to do that. I plan on using that rest myself, hoping the local shop has one in stock this week.

Is there any timing of the rest at all if it is connected to the bottom limb? Anybody ever get fletch contact with there smackdown?

I use the regular smack down and have it mounted to my bottom limb on my maxxis 35. I love it and it shoots great, and I am getting great vane clearance. I never had to time the rest its all a matter of getting as much slack out of the cord as possible. You will need to tighten the cord after a few shots til the stretch is out. As for adjusting the rest like I said I use the one that is not FC and I don't have a problem if I need to adjust it.
    Elite Purist

i have shot it on a maxxis31 and never had any problems...ample windage and fletch clearance
    Elite Tour Ninja
    Victory Arrows, Doinker Stabilization, Trophy Taker Rests, Vapor Trail VTX strings, Truball releases, Axcel sights, Scentlok Clothes

Does the supplied limb attachment piece cut the cord, I thought I read somewhere that they had a problem with the cord getting frayed from the attachment piece?

the first ones they put out did.. but has since been taken care of.. is the best rest out ther in my op.

How hard is it to replace the cord? Is the cord adjustable up by the rest itself or not? If you have to replace the cord do you have to take alot of parts apart or is it simple?

It'll work fine on your Hoyt...Plenty of windage adjustments too. Replacing the cord is no problem since it's not internal on the rest, you shouldnt have to remove anything to replace it. The new clamp doesnt cut the cord, they redesigned the clamp after the first run when they had issues with that. The launcher & the cage move together so if you move the windage the whole thing moves over...I've got 2 new black ones in stock if you need one.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

So when you go to make a windage adjustment with the smackdown fc, the bridged riser on the hoyt's must not be in the way to get a allen wrench in there to adjust the windage screw? Or do you need some kind of special allen wrench to fit in between the riser and the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    So when you go to make a windage adjustment with the smackdown fc, the bridged riser on the hoyt's must not be in the way to get a allen wrench in there to adjust the windage screw? Or do you need some kind of special allen wrench to fit in between the riser and the rest?
    Most if the time you can use a ball end Allen wrench and your ok... Back when I used to shoot hoyts all the time with TROPHYTAKER rests on them I cut down an Allen wrench with a Dremel tool so it would fit in there with no issue.
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

What is a ball end allen wrench? I just got a basic set that are shaped like a " L"?

A ball end is a basic looking allen wrench "same L shape like you have" but on the end "long side" there's a rounded ball that is still the same size/shape as the allen wrench. They are easier to get in tight spots because you can use them at more of an angle without rounding out the head of the bolt...I used to race nitro RC cars and you almost had to have ball end wrenches with them.
    On the ones I've cut down for Hoyt's tec risers, I took a basic L shape wrench like you have and trimmed a little length off the short end...Easy to do with a dremel tool "heck you could use a hacksaw and a vice to hold the wrench" and a few minutes of free time.
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

I have been using one for 6 months now & it has performed flalessly on my Hoyt Maxis 35 also had it on my Maxis 31 & it worked pefect. Best rest on the market hands down I will have one on my bow for years to come of coarse knowing Dan he will out do himself again & I will have to try his new rest once again. Best of the best hands down. I do not get payed for using this rest or get any thing for free I paid full price.
    Last edited by a1hoyt.ca; February 21st, 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Hate to beat this to death, but can you use a basic " L " shaped allen wrench, or should I go out and get a ball ended set of allen wrenches? Judging from pics of the rest it looks like it will be very close if a person can use a basic allen wrench with a hoyt riser. Looks like a good rest though, limbdriven and tough and durable looking.

Bonz here's what I would do if I were you...Put the rest on the bow, take the proper allen wrench that fits the windage screw and cut it down like I said before...That way you know it'll work and you wont have to worry about it...Wont cost you a penny to cut one down. Now if you think of it sometime buy some ball ends, I like them better and I think they work better and dont have a tendency to round out bolt heads. But I'd just cut one down and not worry about it. The quality & toughness of a TT rest is well worth a couple minutes of cutting a $1 allen wrench down.
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

Thanks for the info J-Daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Hate to beat this to death, but can you use a basic " L " shaped allen wrench, or should I go out and get a ball ended set of allen wrenches? Judging from pics of the rest it looks like it will be very close if a person can use a basic allen wrench with a hoyt riser. Looks like a good rest though, limbdriven and tough and durable looking.
    regular allen wrench works fine ! i had 1 one my maxxis 31, i now have 1 on my bowtech invasion (connected to upward cable) and i have the regular 1. (not the full containment) on my hoyt carbon element. all have worked great
    2011 Hoyt Carbon Element Bone Collector 29" 71# 356 grains @ 309 FPS 3-D Bow
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Element RKT 29" 71# 408 Grains @ 300 FPS