a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: anobody hunting unit 42 in Colorado this year?

anobody hunting unit 42 in Colorado this year?

who here is going elk hunting in unit 42 just outside of Silt, Colorado for some elk this year. I went with my dad and both of my grandfathers and a couple friends and had a blast! I didn't kill any elk but seen a bunch but couldn't get a shot off at any of them. This year I hope that'll change and I am going to draw for a mule deer tag since I seen plenty of nice mulies while I was there and in bow range. We're planning on being there about the 3rd week of September somewhere close to the 18th.

Elite Z28 Snow 65#: Easton Bowfire, Muzzy, Qad, Black Gold, X-factor
    Elite Energy 35:Elite Ultra rest, black gold, easton injexion, x-factor
    Elite Answer *ninja*: QAD, Black Gold, Injexion, Muzzy
    Elite Energy 32 80#

Well, you will have to wait about 9 days if your going to legally take a mule deer (season starts Aug. 27 this year I believe).

Also, you might get more responses if you move this to the western forum. Lots of guys from the western states with tons of insight about units, etc.

Good luck!
    Stay Humble~

Bowtech Invasion
    71lbs
    27'' draw

Used to hunt that exact area for years...stopped when they started widening the roads and drilling for gas (there were a couple years where it really seemed to slack off hunting wise).

Killed several elk there though from 1996-2003.
    2010 Maxxis 35
    2006 Inferno Ultratec XT3000

Quote Originally Posted by Ignition kid View Post
    who here is going elk hunting in unit 42 just outside of Silt, Colorado for some elk this year. I went with my dad and both of my grandfathers and a couple friends and had a blast! I didn't kill any elk but seen a bunch but couldn't get a shot off at any of them. This year I hope that'll change and I am going to draw for a mule deer tag since I seen plenty of nice mulies while I was there and in bow range. We're planning on being there about the 3rd week of September somewhere close to the 18th.
    Read your date wrong!!
    Stay Humble~

Bowtech Invasion
    71lbs
    27'' draw

i am going to unit 42 for my first elk hunt this year. a couple of my friends have been hunting there for about 3 years now and they have had descent luck. i am just excited to finally go out west.

There was a major winter kill over there in 08, if the last time you hunted it was prior to then, you won't be seeing near the deer you did on the previous trip.

I seen plenty of them last year though. My grandfather has been hunting elk out there in that area for at least 35 years and is a very avid elk hunter and a very good one too. We were just there are little too early last year so hopefully we will get lucky this year.
    Elite Z28 Snow 65#: Easton Bowfire, Muzzy, Qad, Black Gold, X-factor
    Elite Energy 35:Elite Ultra rest, black gold, easton injexion, x-factor
    Elite Answer *ninja*: QAD, Black Gold, Injexion, Muzzy
    Elite Energy 32 80#