a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Rage Crossbow Broadhead

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    1,279

    Rage Crossbow Broadhead

    Anybody seen the new 2 blade rage made specifically for crossbows?? I'm not sure what the difference is from the basic 2 blade rage, other than the fact the cutting size is a little smaller.

    http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Produc...e-Crossbow.php



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    Yep, they are Orange!

    Here is what you need to do to a regular Rage to get it to work with any crossbow. Only takes a couple of seconds and a dental rubber band.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    1,279
    Honestly, I've never had deployment issues with the regular 2 blade and my crossbow. But then again it couldn't hurt to try that. Are those the bands you had to put into braces for jaw alignment? I think I used them before when I had braces...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    990
    Now I have to find a kid in the nieghborhood with dental braces and talk him out of a few bands, to use these mechanicals. How about doubling up on the little rubber bands left over from from other mechanicals? The only sure way is to sacrifice one to the target and see if stays closed in flight, could use the "old" paper test, thinking the blades should stay closed passing through thin newspaper placed a few feet in front of the target and then opening at the target, probably using a couple pieces of corrigated card board on the target surface. That dental idea is a good, Thanks.....I wore those dental bands, for 4 years in the 60's,learned to hate them, sometimes when I talked in front of the class they would fly out.....learned to hate em yep.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Roaming Shores, Ohio
    Posts
    2,051
    My daughter used the 125 grain regular 2 blade rage last season with no problem.
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    When shooting 400 fps you have to think about premature deployment. Yes, these are the small dental bands. They are not terribly strong, but plenty enough to keep the blades from opening upon launch.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    3,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Here is what you need to do to a regular Rage to get it to work with any crossbow. Only takes a couple of seconds and a dental rubber band.
    How did you get the semicircles onto the blades? File? Dremel tool?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    When shooting 400 fps you have to think about premature deployment. Yes, these are the small dental bands. They are not terribly strong, but plenty enough to keep the blades from opening upon launch.
    yea that's no problem for me, my xbow only shoots about 280 fps

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bear Lake, MI
    Posts
    180
    I've been told by crossbow and compound shooters that when they use them over 400fps they have problems with them opening. I would assume the new heads open a little harder

  10. #10
    Here's what I did to make the Rage heads work best for me.



    After that I didn't have any more problems with them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Roaming Shores, Ohio
    Posts
    2,051
    Thats to bad! Everyone has there oppinion
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    158
    The Regular 2" 2 blades were opening for me out of my Parker Tornado that shoots at 342fps.. Tried new O rings to.. About 1 out of every 4 shots they would open and hit high and right... I really liked them out of my compound, just not reliable enough for my crossbow..
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    It wasn't an opinion it was a fact. I tried their regular 2 blade one on a much slower xbow than what I am shooting now. It was a Tenpoint I had shooting around 315 or so. They sprayed all over the place. They shot worse than fixed blades did. Tried them on another xbow and same results. Tried different arrows too. Took them back and gave up on it.

    They have a lot of debate on the other areas here too on them. Those that love 'em defend them to the death it seems. I see a lot of I got a wound posts. I think they're opening occasionally and that's why but that part of it is an opinion. Their performance for me was not acceptable. They probably shoot fine for others. Like any broad head you just have to try one and see if it works on your xbow.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBirdVA View Post
    It wasn't an opinion it was a fact. I tried their regular 2 blade one on a much slower xbow than what I am shooting now. It was a Tenpoint I had shooting around 315 or so. They sprayed all over the place. They shot worse than fixed blades did. Tried them on another xbow and same results. Tried different arrows too. Took them back and gave up on it.

    They have a lot of debate on the other areas here too on them. Those that love 'em defend them to the death it seems. I see a lot of I got a wound posts. I think they're opening occasionally and that's why but that part of it is an opinion. Their performance for me was not acceptable. They probably shoot fine for others. Like any broad head you just have to try one and see if it works on your xbow.
    Sorry to hear they didn't work for you, but my tenpoint handles them nicely and haven't had any premature opening of the blades

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,929
    The issue with the standard heads is they were a hit or miss on pemature opening. Some worked fine others did not. The new heads have a larger retaining groove and a 1/4" smaller cut so they stay closed even on the faster bows. JUST got a pile of them in...
    Wyvern

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Western MD
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern Creations View Post
    The issue with the standard heads is they were a hit or miss on pemature opening. Some worked fine others did not. The new heads have a larger retaining groove and a 1/4" smaller cut so they stay closed even on the faster bows. JUST got a pile of them in...
    Wyvern
    Are you going to do any testing on them?
    Darton Tundra Extreme
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Nikon Prostaff 3-9, HHA Optimizer, BE Executioners, Spitfire Maxx
    StrykeZone 350
    >.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bear Lake, MI
    Posts
    180
    Yeah I'm curious to see how the new ones work for people

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    How did you get the semicircles onto the blades? File? Dremel tool?
    Dremel with a small thin diamond wheel. Only takes a second. Sorry I did not clarify that earlier.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    And I have not had any problems with deployment when I did this.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    The Regular 2" 2 blades were opening for me out of my Parker Tornado that shoots at 342fps.. Tried new O rings to.. About 1 out of every 4 shots they would open and hit high and right... I really liked them out of my compound, just not reliable enough for my crossbow..
    I had much the same results. Tried shooting them through ribcages that I saved. Had a few that broke a blade on impact with a rib. The angle had to be just right, but they did break.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,211
    I haven't had a pre-mature deployment issue, but a little / fast insurance gives me a piece of mind.
    I cut a small slice of heat shrink tubing and shrink it into place.



  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    George Wash. Bridge
    Posts
    13,496
    Puzzling ... why hunters would bother with all this when you could just shoot a Spitfire and be done with it. I guess in a way it's exciting and adrenaline filled. To wonder if the thing will deploy early & wound/miss or actually hit & kill.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Puzzling ... why hunters would bother with all this when you could just shoot a Spitfire and be done with it. I guess in a way it's exciting and adrenaline filled. To wonder if the thing will deploy early & wound/miss or actually hit & kill.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Any piece of equipment that requires modification so that it can perform its basic function won't be going into the woods with me.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Ont. Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Rage now makes rear deploy blades just for crossbows.
    Wham-O Power Master.
    Daco wood shaft arrows.
    Roper’s Indian Arrowheads.
    Hope to upgrade someday.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelie View Post
    Rage now makes rear deploy blades just for crossbows.
    yea that's exactly my first post and why i started this thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •