a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rage Crossbow Broadhead

Rage Crossbow Broadhead

Anybody seen the new 2 blade rage made specifically for crossbows?? I'm not sure what the difference is from the basic 2 blade rage, other than the fact the cutting size is a little smaller.

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Produc...e-Crossbow.php

Yep, they are Orange!

Here is what you need to do to a regular Rage to get it to work with any crossbow. Only takes a couple of seconds and a dental rubber band.

Honestly, I've never had deployment issues with the regular 2 blade and my crossbow. But then again it couldn't hurt to try that. Are those the bands you had to put into braces for jaw alignment? I think I used them before when I had braces...

Now I have to find a kid in the nieghborhood with dental braces and talk him out of a few bands, to use these mechanicals. How about doubling up on the little rubber bands left over from from other mechanicals? The only sure way is to sacrifice one to the target and see if stays closed in flight, could use the "old" paper test, thinking the blades should stay closed passing through thin newspaper placed a few feet in front of the target and then opening at the target, probably using a couple pieces of corrigated card board on the target surface. That dental idea is a good, Thanks.....I wore those dental bands, for 4 years in the 60's,learned to hate them, sometimes when I talked in front of the class they would fly out.....learned to hate em yep.

My daughter used the 125 grain regular 2 blade rage last season with no problem.
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

When shooting 400 fps you have to think about premature deployment. Yes, these are the small dental bands. They are not terribly strong, but plenty enough to keep the blades from opening upon launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Here is what you need to do to a regular Rage to get it to work with any crossbow. Only takes a couple of seconds and a dental rubber band.
    How did you get the semicircles onto the blades? File? Dremel tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    When shooting 400 fps you have to think about premature deployment. Yes, these are the small dental bands. They are not terribly strong, but plenty enough to keep the blades from opening upon launch.
    yea that's no problem for me, my xbow only shoots about 280 fps

I've been told by crossbow and compound shooters that when they use them over 400fps they have problems with them opening. I would assume the new heads open a little harder

Here's what I did to make the Rage heads work best for me.

After that I didn't have any more problems with them.

Thats to bad! Everyone has there oppinion
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

The Regular 2" 2 blades were opening for me out of my Parker Tornado that shoots at 342fps.. Tried new O rings to.. About 1 out of every 4 shots they would open and hit high and right... I really liked them out of my compound, just not reliable enough for my crossbow..
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

It wasn't an opinion it was a fact. I tried their regular 2 blade one on a much slower xbow than what I am shooting now. It was a Tenpoint I had shooting around 315 or so. They sprayed all over the place. They shot worse than fixed blades did. Tried them on another xbow and same results. Tried different arrows too. Took them back and gave up on it.

They have a lot of debate on the other areas here too on them. Those that love 'em defend them to the death it seems. I see a lot of I got a wound posts. I think they're opening occasionally and that's why but that part of it is an opinion. Their performance for me was not acceptable. They probably shoot fine for others. Like any broad head you just have to try one and see if it works on your xbow.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBirdVA View Post
    It wasn't an opinion it was a fact. I tried their regular 2 blade one on a much slower xbow than what I am shooting now. It was a Tenpoint I had shooting around 315 or so. They sprayed all over the place. They shot worse than fixed blades did. Tried them on another xbow and same results. Tried different arrows too. Took them back and gave up on it.

They have a lot of debate on the other areas here too on them. Those that love 'em defend them to the death it seems. I see a lot of I got a wound posts. I think they're opening occasionally and that's why but that part of it is an opinion. Their performance for me was not acceptable. They probably shoot fine for others. Like any broad head you just have to try one and see if it works on your xbow.
    Sorry to hear they didn't work for you, but my tenpoint handles them nicely and haven't had any premature opening of the blades

The issue with the standard heads is they were a hit or miss on pemature opening. Some worked fine others did not. The new heads have a larger retaining groove and a 1/4" smaller cut so they stay closed even on the faster bows. JUST got a pile of them in...
    Wyvern

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern Creations View Post
    The issue with the standard heads is they were a hit or miss on pemature opening. Some worked fine others did not. The new heads have a larger retaining groove and a 1/4" smaller cut so they stay closed even on the faster bows. JUST got a pile of them in...
    Wyvern
    Are you going to do any testing on them?
    Darton Tundra Extreme
    Scorpyd Ventilator 150, Nikon Prostaff 3-9, HHA Optimizer, BE Executioners, Spitfire Maxx
    StrykeZone 350
    >.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Yeah I'm curious to see how the new ones work for people

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    How did you get the semicircles onto the blades? File? Dremel tool?
    Dremel with a small thin diamond wheel. Only takes a second. Sorry I did not clarify that earlier.

And I have not had any problems with deployment when I did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    The Regular 2" 2 blades were opening for me out of my Parker Tornado that shoots at 342fps.. Tried new O rings to.. About 1 out of every 4 shots they would open and hit high and right... I really liked them out of my compound, just not reliable enough for my crossbow..
    I had much the same results. Tried shooting them through ribcages that I saved. Had a few that broke a blade on impact with a rib. The angle had to be just right, but they did break.

I haven't had a pre-mature deployment issue, but a little / fast insurance gives me a piece of mind.
    I cut a small slice of heat shrink tubing and shrink it into place.

Puzzling ... why hunters would bother with all this when you could just shoot a Spitfire and be done with it. I guess in a way it's exciting and adrenaline filled. To wonder if the thing will deploy early & wound/miss or actually hit & kill.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Puzzling ... why hunters would bother with all this when you could just shoot a Spitfire and be done with it. I guess in a way it's exciting and adrenaline filled. To wonder if the thing will deploy early & wound/miss or actually hit & kill.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Any piece of equipment that requires modification so that it can perform its basic function won't be going into the woods with me.

Rage now makes rear deploy blades just for crossbows.
    Wham-O Power Master.
    Daco wood shaft arrows.
    Roper’s Indian Arrowheads.
    Hope to upgrade someday.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelie View Post
    Rage now makes rear deploy blades just for crossbows.
    yea that's exactly my first post and why i started this thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast