Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA and OH hunters, any mountain lion sightings ???

PA and OH hunters, any mountain lion sightings ???

Thought this question might be a fun one. I've heard rumors in PA for a good 8-10 years about cougars in Pennsylvania. I would be amazed if true as the sheer number of hunters is staggering for rifle season, but the stories sure keep coming. Anyway, I know of a guy at work that saw 1 one morning on rt60 just south of Chippewa. We crushed him for not knowing what he saw, until 2 days later in the Pittsburgh paper a little paragraph was written about it. Seems they theorized a domsticated cougar escaped it's owner and was seen and repoerted by several people over the last 4-5 days. Makes ya wonder ??

I've never seen one....but pretty sure I would crap my pants if I did

SIGHTING IN PA HAVE DROPPED. we dont know why. 5 years ago sighting all over here in pa.

Several years ago after shooting a deer, a buddy and I saw one. It ended up eating the heart, lungs, and liver of that deer while we watched before we walked away. Pretty cool sight, I wasn't any too scared though......since it was inside a 20x14 chain link fence enclosure that was 10' tall, and we were feeding it..... Killed a deer during gun season mid-early 90's and a guy comes walking out into the woods asking if he could have the heart, liver, and lungs of the deer.... I said sure, as long as you don't mind my asking "What the hell are you going to do with them???" He said he was gonna feed 'em to his cat, at which point I said "You can have them on one condition.....I want to see the cat." Sure enough, he had a 80# or so young mountain lion in a cage. I ended up spending a little time slicing nice thin slice of heart and liver and feeding them to this thing, and it would "gently" lick the blood off your fingers with it's "80 grit" tongue. (God's Honest Truth!!!)

I have seen smaller cats, probably 35-40# animals with long black tails that look like miniature black panthers on a couple occasions as have quite a few others around my area, but I've never been able to ID one of them. Saw a Bobcat out back of my house a few months ago, and ironically our "tom" cat got chewed up by something just a few days later....
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

Why in God's name would somebody in OH need to own a pet mountain lion? I cannot comprehend.....

There have been reports of sightings in butler and forest counties.

I understand their population is spreading east and south (from Canada), and could see them in the mountains of north central and western PA (also good bear country). But I've mostly about them in the Kittanning area, Butler as well, Indiana county too. Sometimes I think about it when I settled on the ground in rifle season.....gotta hope you get some warning 1st. I mean out in CA if they jump you, you're supposed to fight for your life cause they attack for food not bluff charges like bear. How about some more folks chime in here !!!

Quote Originally Posted by seelye24 View Post
    I've never seen one....but pretty sure I would crap my pants if I did
    Ya seelye24, I'm with you. If I had one stalking me or just passing by I don't know what I'd do......hope for cell reception !!! Actually, I carry a compact 45 with me so if I had to I'd put it down.

Quote Originally Posted by seelye24 View Post
    Why in God's name would somebody in OH need to own a pet mountain lion? I cannot comprehend.....
    There's a guy over here in NW Ohio who has lions, tigers, grizzlies, cougars, panthers, wolves, and other small animals that he keeps in cages. Got to see a full grown male lion eat a whitetail carcass!!

http://m.fox41.com/default.aspx?pid=...ype%3drssstory

my brother gives me a call one day saying he and his buddies saw a mountain lion right down the road from where i hunt. he says make sure u have a side arm with u when u go in the woods. scares the hell out of me. i keep wondering if someone turned it loose or if this is gonna be a common thing around here. im in s.w. ohio. if this is common the dnr needs to let us know so we can protect ourself......

I seen one in northeastern pa it ran in front of my truck. It took me a minute to realize what I saw. This was in January of 2011

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    There was a confirmed vehicle hit and kill of one in Pa about 2 years back. They confirmed it was a lion but yet the PGC says they arnt in Pa, what sense does that make. PGC has no idea whats in this state, theres probably a dang Grizz in here somewhere

SUPPOSEDLY the game comission tracked one (with collar) to a guys barn over Kittanning way. He had shot it for killing his sheep or goats. They knocked on his door and after denying he knew anything they told him about the tracking collar.......so he ended up taking them to the carcass. They told him they were never there (black helicoptor stuff, I know). I don't know, this sounds fishy but it's just 1 of quite a few stories I've heard in the last 10-12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Justgot2hunt View Post
    SUPPOSEDLY the game comission tracked one (with collar) to a guys barn over Kittanning way. He had shot it for killing his sheep or goats. They knocked on his door and after denying he knew anything they told him about the tracking collar.......so he ended up taking them to the carcass. They told him they were never there (black helicoptor stuff, I know). I don't know, this sounds fishy but it's just 1 of quite a few stories I've heard in the last 10-12 years.
    All the "game commission tracks them but denies it" stuff is total BS. That story has been told in every state east of the Rockies. If somebody starts with something like that, don't believe any of it. People like to believe state agencies are super clandestine. They're not. Maybe not the most invitingly transparent, but not CIA like.

Lions are repopulating areas that they haven't been in a century. THis isn't because they're being transplanted, they're traveling on their own. Mt lions are "obligate dispersers", meaning the young always disperse from mom's homerange, sometimes hundreds of miles. As for being scared of walking in the dark and carrying a sidearm, we have a large population of them here in SD, and I could care less while walking in the woods. Think of them as a 130# barn cat.
    '12 Elite Answer 60#

i live in mercer county, in nw pa. although we have some lions here, butler county is the best place to hunt them. the boyers area, known as the mt lion capital of the east, has several reputable outfitters hunting the area. i went with bobs guide service recently on a late winter hunt & couldn't be happier. we drove the roads till we saw a track, the bob put his best hound, duke, on the track. after duke showed some real interest, bob let the whole pack out & the chase was on! we followed those dogs over hill & dale, thru a dairy queen parking lot & finally treed a big tom in a tall hemlock. bob got the dogs under control & i nocked an arrow. made a bad shot, but luckily hit him in the neck, and he fell out in a minute, dead. the dogs went crazy, but they weren't in any danger. bob skinned my cat, i'm having a full mount done, and cleaned the skull for me. he thinks it will make p & y, and will rank in the top 5 here in the pa record book. if you'd like to see my hunt, it will be on the new hs vidio, primetime cats. rick white & stan potts also take nice toms on the vidio, hunting the boyers area with bob's guide service, & rick makes a great shot on his cat treed on a cellphone tower. lots of cats, great pack of dogs, great outfitter, i'd recommend bob's guide service to anyone looking for a pa lion hunt.

About 20 years ago, me and a friend were to doing some stump shooting and scouting down in the Hocking Hills, we walking along shooting our bows and we came across a Mt Lion, We first seen his tracks in the snow, then we seen him on a rock cliff, he let out this blood curly scream!
    kind of scary, we got the heck out of Dodge quick!
    2012 Elite Answer
    Sword Centurion sights
    Stokerized stab with Ridge Runner slings

Team 10 Ringer Death Bringer

how could there be mountain lions in ohio?
    dont ya need mountains first?
    Hoyt Katera XL 29.5" HHA 5519 Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Hoyt Alpahaburner 29.5" Trophy Taker Smackdown and HHA DSOXL5519

i've never heard of one here in ne ohio.

i have seen 4 of them over the years. The game commission admits that they MIGHT be here, but if they are, there is no breeding. I saw a female and a pair of cubs back in the late 80s. I havent seen one for quite a while though. people tell me that i dont know what i am talking about but there is no mistaking that long tail
    2013 Mathews Chill, Mayhem Hunter, Muzzy 3 Blade
    2010 Mathews Z7, CX Mayhem Hunter, Muzzy 3 Blade
    2013 PSE Supra Max, GT XXX Pro
    Because it is hunting, not killing.....

Walking back to my camp in McKean County, PA from an evening of deer hunting when I heard something walking through the woods behind me. I stopped and then it stopped as well, this happened 3 more times before it got to close for comfort and i took off running to my camp. (probably not the smartest idea now that I think about it) but about 30 minutes after I got back to my camp we heard a scream coming from where my stand is located. The next day I went back to my stand with my shotgun hunting grouse and found cat tracks that were to big to be a bobcat.

Quote Originally Posted by Justgot2hunt View Post
    Never heard about this, Im only 20 miles away from Kittanning. Although I know a few guys that claim that have seen a mountain lion in PA.

A friend of mine had one of his horses attacked by a mountain lion last year. Tore the horse up pretty bad. This was north of pittsburgh Pa.

let's see if i can get this link to work. http//www.fws.gov/northeast/ecougar/ well here's the link if anyone can get it to work. today the federal fish and wildlife people announced the eastern cougar was extinct and probaly has been for 70 years.
    Last edited by S.F. steve; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: need to add

Moutain Lions? Did they get loose from a zoo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast