Thread: victory vap?

victory vap?

According to OT2 i would need to shoot the vap 300's with my set up (Elite judge, 70lbs, 27" draw, 27" arrow, 125 grain broadhead) I read where quite a few people were successfully shooting the 350's with much longer draws and arrows with bows just as fast, same poundage, and same weight heads. What do some of you more experienced archers say? 300's or 350's? Also for those of you shooting these arrows are you taking the penetrator inserts into account when cutting arrow length? Are you cutting the carbon shorter because the inserts are longer?

2010 ELITE JUDGE MAX 1
    2014 HOYT CARBON SPYDER TURBO

I called the customer service number off the website the other day, i had the same question you do. Im shooting 28.5 draw at 67lbs and he told me to get the 400 spine. He say's that the arrow length will be short enough anyway, and then cutting another inch off for the broadhead insert. The arrow would be stiff enough, but i think im gonna go with the 350's anyway. I have always heard its better to be a little overspined than under.

I hunt with the VAP 400's with the 42 grain insert and 100 grain tips at 64lbs 28 inch draw length, and when I bare shaft tuned them they read stiff. So in my opinion you would be fine with the 350’s at your poundage and draw length. They shoot awesome with fixed broadheads, the fixed broadheads were tuning out to 100 yards with the field points.

I'm shooting a Destoyer 350 with a 29" draw and 70lb, and their rep told me to shoot the 350's so you should be fine

Remember that when putting your arrow info into OT2 that you're to use the AMO length not including nock. In the case of the VAP's, remember to subtract the amount from the front of the arrow for the broadhead insert as well. This will take almost 1 1/2" off of your overall arrow length. That should get you where you need to be on OT2. They're a fantastic arrow and a great choice! Good luck to you!
    Genesis 27:3

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some game for me."

I shoot a Destroyer 340 with a 29" draw set at 72.5 lbs. When i talked to the rep a week or so ago he said that I could probably go with the .300's but when i talked to the local dealer, he said go with the .350's. If i want a total arrow length of 29" the the carbon will actually only be about 28" so i can see why they would say 350's would be ok. I have mine tuned with some .300 spined, 28 5/8" and 100gn. tip axis arrows right now and it shoots nice so im probably gonna stay with the .300 spine. Hope that makes some sense and helps in the decision.
    Destroyer 340 - Easton Axis - Trophy Ridge - Octane Tripwire - Grizz Tricks - Stan SX2
    82nd Airborne - Easton Fatboys - Sure Loc - Trophy Ridge Dropzone - Stan SX2
    Pearson DeerSlayer 55# @28" - 545gr. Axis 400s

I shoot a d350 @28.5" draw 73# they told me to go w/ 350 spine cut at 24 3/4" carbon to carbon
    yea sounds short but the trophy taker sits behind the shelf
    maitland zuess 60# 2011
    destroyer 350 70# 2011
    hoyt powertec 90# 2006

Put the VAP's on an accurate spine tester. They tend to run a little stiff for their labled spine.
    You young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a receiver on a rotary phone

Right on guys. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the 350s should work for me. Ill subtract the length of the insert on ot2 when I get home just to see if there is any change. Think its worth 50 bucks to go with the .001 straightness over .003?
    2010 ELITE JUDGE MAX 1

Are you going to use the 33gr (9/32) inserts or the 43gr (5/16)? I shoot an Alien X at 62lbs, 29.5" draw with V3 350s that are 28.5" long including the insert with a 125gr broadhead and the 43 gr insert. Fly like darts and blow through anything you hit. Shot a doe this year that had no idea she had been hit until she died.
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

I just bought some...can't wait to try them! Just need my broken leg to heal!
    JEREMY'S CUSTOM STRINGS AND TUNING
    Vendetta stabilizers, Hamskea Versa Rest, DS Advantage Sight, Black Eagle arrows, Axcel and Black Gold sights, Bling Sling's, Tight Spot Quivers, Carter and T.R.U. Ball releases

PSE Militia

Quote Originally Posted by mtn3531 View Post
    Are you going to use the 33gr (9/32) inserts or the 43gr (5/16)? I shoot an Alien X at 62lbs, 29.5" draw with V3 350s that are 28.5" long including the insert with a 125gr broadhead and the 43 gr insert. Fly like darts and blow through anything you hit. Shot a doe this year that had no idea she had been hit until she died.
    I plan to use the 43 gr. insert if i do indeed buy these arrows. I just finished running my numbers again through ot2 reducing my arrow length buy 1" and 1.5" it still shows the 350s as weak and the 300s according to ot2 are right on the money. Also it doesnt seem that i will be able to hit the total arrow weight i want with the 350s but the 300s i can hit almost exactly the weight i want (425 total grains) Now Im thinking I may give the 300s a try and see how they do.
    2010 ELITE JUDGE MAX 1

Go for it...you will NOT be disappointed. Your FOC will also be up there, I can't tell you how well these shoot out of my Alien and I hope you experience similar success on your end
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

Quote Originally Posted by Grnheadhunter View Post
    Think its worth 50 bucks to go with the .001 straightness over .003?
    Only if you want to waste $$$.

Unless your name is Dave Cousins you won't ever see any differance.
    You young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a receiver on a rotary phone

Quote Originally Posted by Grnheadhunter View Post
    I plan to use the 43 gr. insert if i do indeed buy these arrows. I just finished running my numbers again through ot2 reducing my arrow length buy 1" and 1.5" it still shows the 350s as weak and the 300s according to ot2 are right on the money. Also it doesnt seem that i will be able to hit the total arrow weight i want with the 350s but the 300s i can hit almost exactly the weight i want (425 total grains) Now Im thinking I may give the 300s a try and see how they do.
    I am in the same boat as you there. I want my arrow to be about 430gn. I would go with the V3's. I will not be able to shoot perfect enough to tell the difference between the V1s or V3s. It will also save you about $50.
    Destroyer 340 - Easton Axis - Trophy Ridge - Octane Tripwire - Grizz Tricks - Stan SX2
    82nd Airborne - Easton Fatboys - Sure Loc - Trophy Ridge Dropzone - Stan SX2
    Pearson DeerSlayer 55# @28" - 545gr. Axis 400s