Thread: Knife Grinder Build

Knife Grinder Build

Recently I purchased a GIB, motor, wheels, etc... and the last of the kit came in today! I spent a couple hours drilling, tapping, driving back and forth to the hardware store... Didn't get as far on it as I had hoped (broke 2 of my 1/4-20 taps dangit) and forgot stuff yet again on my last trip to the hardware store. Hopefully I'll get a minute to work on it tomorrow but the term is swiftly coming to an end so exams and national boards are taking the front seat in my life right now (well, the 2nd row seat anyway, wife and kids always ride in the front seat, everything else comes secondary to them).

Let me just say I have been very pleased with Jamie over at Polar Bear Forge and the GIB; great kit, great design, great guy to deal with and great price.

Enough jibber-jabber, here's some pics:

The packaging on this thing was no joke! All in a flat-rate box no less...

Beauty shots:

Sorry for the cell-phone pics, I'll post some real glamour shots once she's finished and has her make-up on... By the way, if anybody is thinking about building a GIB and is wondering what hardware they will need I can post a list of what I've bought. It's a little different than most others because I'm going to be making knives and straight razors on this so I have 2", 3", 4", 6" and 8" wheels already, the 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1 1/2" wheels are on their way...
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs
    Easton Axis N-Fused & FMJs
    Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizer

Well, I had a minute to work on this tonight and here is where she stands so far:

Still need a spring, change out a couple bolts and align the puppy and she'll be ready to rock! Oh, and I need to make my flat platen that will go between my 2" wheels on the other platen assembly... I have been lusting after a 2x72 for so long, I am so stinkin' excited I don't have to wait anymore! Oh, and no bagging on my messy garage, I just moved in... 7 months ago...
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs

For those who are interested:

GIB - $260
    additional platen - $20
    motor & wiring - $240
    2" wheel - $44.52 each (x2)
    3" wheel - $46.64
    4" wheel - $51.35
    6" wheel - $72.54
    8" wheel - $104.35
    drive wheel - $56.18
    tracking wheel - $61.48
    ceramic for platen - $15.77
    tool arms - $9 each (x4)
    1/2" tap - $5.00
    1/4" tap - $5.00
    nuts & bolts - roughly $40

That's roughly where I'm at right now... I'm sure I'm in a little more than that and then add about $250 in belts on top. It's not a small amount, that's for sure...

Oh, and here's the link to the small wheel setup I'm putting together...
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs

I was hoping to have ground some serious steel with this beast as she was built last week but this past monday I cut 2 tendons in my left thumb and had reconstructive surgery this morning and will be in a cast for a while... Booo! Anyway, there have been lots of comments from guys wanting to make knives. I've gotten by with my 1x42 Delta but am so excited to have a powerful 2x72 finally! Worth the wait and the rifle I had to sell to build it.

Thanks for looking.
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs

Looks like a beast. Well made to say the least. When I do the math it looks like about $1100. Not cheap but should last for ever. Does the supplier make other types of DIY kits?
    [COLOR="Red" Hoyt
    Carter CA
    HHA 5000
    Limbdriver

Quote Originally Posted by amcardon View Post
    I was hoping to have ground some serious steel with this beast as she was built last week but this past monday I cut 2 tendons in my left thumb and had reconstructive surgery this morning and will be in a cast for a while... Booo! Anyway, there have been lots of comments from guys wanting to make knives. I've gotten by with my 1x42 Delta but am so excited to have a powerful 2x72 finally! Worth the wait and the rifle I had to sell to build it.

Thanks for looking.
    Ever want to re-think the sharpe objects thing?

Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    Ever want to re-think the sharpe objects thing?
    you sound like my wife! and no, not rethinking the sharp objects at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaboy View Post
    Looks like a beast. Well made to say the least. When I do the math it looks like about $1100. Not cheap but should last for ever. Does the supplier make other types of DIY kits?
    Not really, he's a knife maker who was able to do these kits for a good price for knifemakers looking for an alternative to the currently offered grinders... Jamie is a really good guy to deal with.
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs

to bad about your hand. That is one nice sharpener though now lets see some finished knives when you get better I am in the mood to buy another (wife just got a new toy got to catch up)
    barnsdale bow-Victory arrows

I'm happy with my homemade 2x72, but your setup rocks !! Very nice.

That is a sweet setup

If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase your drive wheels from?

Everything is hyper-linked above on the price breakdown, should be able to get to just about anything you'd need...
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs

I would love to have a grinder like that. I'm still using files after I forge.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I would love to have a grinder like that. I'm still using files after I forge.
    I would love to have a forge! Now I just wish this stupid hand would heal so I could get out and put it to work! Probably a blessing in disguise - the messed up hand is keeping me off the grinder and inside studying for finals and national board exams like I should be!
    Hoyt Vectrix 28" 68lbs

after you heal up let me know how it works for you.i'm thinking of going the same route g.i.b