Archery Talk Forum banner

A thought on the, is it stealing debate...

1K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  nightcrawler 
#1 ·
After reading a few threads where the debate is whether taking equipment from the public woods that seems abandoned is stealing or not, I got to thinking about putting identification on my equipment. I don't think it would be a good idea to use my name, phone, address, license #, etc., but what about scribing an e-mail address from hotmail or gmail or the like? That way if someone finds my stuff in the woods and they think it's abandoned and they want to try to find the rightful owner, then I've left contact info.

Do you think this idea has merit?

Skip

#6 ·
You plan on leaving your stuff just laying out on public land? Take your stuff with you or lock it up, then theres no need for ID.

#7 ·
Way too many people have the mind set "I found It" that the property belongs to them
Ive had a number of items found that had my name and phone number ,.. Just made it easy for the guy who kept it to know who the "former owner" was:sad:

I have goose bands with my whole name and address on the cord of my power tools

#8 ·
I would have to say the both incidents, if true in report, then I seriously doubt that the any person taking any "abandonded " equipment on public property would be charged with , let alone convicted of, theft of any nature.

Seriously doubt any P/A would take forth a case like this. Before they even could the rightful owner would have to be notified and I imagine most of us that put in this situation once the rightful owner came forward would give the item back.

It can't hurt putting your name on a piece of equipment,a lot of states require trap tags for trappers for similar reasons.

#9 ·
I don't think I'd want my name or phone number on it cuz i guess I'm paranoid.

I'm not planning on leaving my stuff just laying around and I do lock my equipment when I leave it for the season. I'm referring to situations that were described in some recent topics...tree saddle sitting in a field, a climber leaning on a rock pile... An honest hunter comes along and thinks it might be abandoned, they ask around, or notify an authority....but instead you've left an email addy so they could contact you directly.

It's just a thought I'm fleshing out.

Skip

#17 ·
LOL I see you try to hide here as well, I'll let you in on something, anyone with decent computer knowledge can have your name,address,age etc in a matter of minutes, well that is unless you lied to your ISP.. So you are not hiding from anyone who really wants to know where you are. I get a kick out of this guys are all over facebook etc and then worry about posting their state in their profile..

I lock my stands so if they go missing it is because they had help lol. Randy

#11 ·
According to the regulations in NY you need to put your name and address on any stand or blind left on State Land.

If you don't or leave it out past the end of the season it would be considered abandoned. You can't be charged with stealing an abandoned item.:shade:

#15 ·
I think you better read the regs again......in NYS you cant leave any stands on state land.......I think your talking about duck blinds

#12 ·
In Vermont you have to have your name, address and phone number clearly printed at eye level on all stands and blinds this includes climbers. Plus you cannot place a blind ,or tree stand and that includes natural blinds on any property without landowner permisssion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.