Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so... who makes the "best" crossbow arrows?

so... who makes the "best" crossbow arrows?

As I have learned with the verticle bow you get what you pay for, just wondering who makes the best crossbow arrows? thanks !

LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, Hawke
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

well where accuracy counts, easton X7's dominate with XX75 (since the X7 no longer comes in 1716) a close second

like almost every other target xbow archer, i make my own arrows using Easton shafts, 230 grain brass points, drivers i get from Bill Pimm and Estonian FALCO Vanes.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

thanks jim , yes it looks like im going to have to get crossbow jig as well !!! thanks again!
    NRA Member !

for hunting I always shot the excalibur gold tip arrows-plenty accurate for deer under 40 yards which is the longest shot I'd dream of taking I like feathers since they are less likely to deflect off a twig (which I had happen once with vanes-a tree had fallen in one of my shooting lanes after I had set my stand and taking a shot 5 minutes after legal hunting time started I couldn't see a little twig and wondered how I missed a fat doe at 30 yards and have the bolt deflect a foot high into the oak stump behind her.)
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

lol... i did the sme thing with my vert 2 years ago,,, it ate at me for an hour untill i got down and there was a 1/8th" stick that had deflected 8" or so, i couldnt see it from my stand!
    NRA Member !

Deflections ... ??? You want to know something about proper shot placement for the perfect deflection? I finally get to teach the coach something!!! LOL
    40YardOOPS.jpg
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

That's a really nice limb you bagged there. They're hard to trail when they go high like that one. I got a nice low one a few years ago. A dang turkey almost got in the way of me getting my limb.

Just look at the mass ... at the base of the one that I bagged though!!! Pretty hard to top that! Might be Pope & Young ... LOL
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Nice limb Duke ! what did it score? ... lol
    NRA Member !

Scored big time ... 12.6" circumference, and 20' long for well over 240" !!! My best trophy to date. Went back a few weeks later with an extension ladder and cut the branch down to get my arrow ... and give my hunting partner a laugh. I was going to save about an 8" piece of the branch with my Slick Tricked buried outta sight ... but it wound up getting tossed after kicking around in the truck. You need proof to verify ineptitude of that magnitude. LOL Thank goodness I took a couple of photos so you guys don't think I'm just braggin. No Photoshop either!!!

lol... you're a nut
    NRA Member !

Did you BBQ it? I'll bet it was tough huh? See, with a slower crossbow your arrow would likely have cleared the limb and put meat in the freezer:-)
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

Quote Originally Posted by Moonkryket View Post
    Did you BBQ it? I'll bet it was tough huh? See, with a slower crossbow your arrow would likely have cleared the limb and put meat in the freezer:-)
    You're right again ... !!! (must get tiring being right all the time) You oughta try left once in a while. Anyway ... you're right because if I wasn't looking through my Hawke scope and thinking like I do with my .22-250, I would have SEEN the limb in my trajectory path! (And lobbed or mortared one over it at 140fps.) Thinking about it some more, the deer was at about 44yards and the branch at about 20 yards ... BOTH of them were too far to shoot at with a 140fps contraption. Obviously I would have never taken the shot in the first place. Thinking about it yet further, I'd have stayed home and watched TV or gone for a proctology exam before I'd shoot something that slow.

Duke, being the man he is, would have marinated it overnight in red wine. A Pinot Noir would have been a perfect choice for that Trophy. Then he would have soaked it for an hour in soy sauce, soaked it for 10 minutes in olive oil, and grilled it over a low flame, turning every 3 minutes.

A good second choice would have been 8 hours in a slow cooker with the Trophy covered completely in beef broth. Add carrots, halved red potatoes, half a head of cabbage with the core removed, and cook for 2 more hours. THEN slice and serve with horseradish sauce, a thick gravy, and the (saved) Pinot Noir.

Good move either way, Duke!!!

And, I don't think Moon would do "Left" very well. He strikes me as one of "us" ... not Hard Right, but Right nevertheless. What other philosophy could a man with a concealed carry permit, a small arsenal of firearms (bigger, however, than the inventory of the National Guard Armory of the town of 12,000 people in which I grew up), and umpteen-seven crossbows possibly embrace?

Well, ok, with his left arm in a sling and tape, he probably isn't doing much embracing of ANYTHING right now, but I meant philosophically anyway.

I'm right, allright:-), probably farther than you realize. Iron, stop calling my medieval a contraption!! :-)

Back on point, for the large majority of crossbow hunters, the complete line of Gold Tip crossbow shafts and arrows, WITH precision aluminum moon nocks avaiable now, are hard to beat. I use them more than any other shaft.
    MOON

What was the question??? ... Some facts seem to point to Carbon Express Aramid-KV's as being a solid candidate for "the best" hunting arrow. Seems to be the arrow of choice for the fastest Scorpyd bows; and it's performed best out of all the arrows I've shot. They shoot straight and are by far the toughest arrow I've ever used, either crossbow or vertical compound.

Back on point, for the large majority of crossbow hunters, the complete line of Gold Tip crossbow shafts and arrows, WITH precision aluminum moon nocks avaiable now, are hard to beat. I use them more than any other shaft.
    Yah, I am converted also. I had been using TenPoint ProElites made by Easton. BUT, one of the vendors on this site convinced me to try the Gold Tip Laser II with aluminum moon nocks. I am convinced he was right and I am going to order them exclusively for my TenPoint Titan II and TL-7 from now on.

NOT sure what model Gold Tip I will use if I do buy an SZ50 or SZ80 ... but they will definitely be Gold Tips.

Iron, stop calling my medieval a contraption!! :-)
    He called it "a contraption"! Hmmm ... I would have looked at that as an "upgrade" in status ...

What ever the Parker redhot configuration is......? seems to be the ticket for me.
    I believe these are Carbon Express weight forward....cross weave shaft with the fusion vanes, heavy aluminum inserts. thick plastic moon nocks. etc etc. This configuration groups well to 60 yards....with large
    1 1/4" muzzy max 3 fixed head broad heads. It took about for different types of broad heads to finally hit these. They will group as accurately as one can shoot. As far as toughness they are unbelievable.
    Not plugging the Parker stuff here but this configuration would be the one I would model myself. Heck all the engineering has been done. Why try to build on perfection...IMO. All three deer so far, with this combination dropped within 50 yards of the shot. No tracking required.....nice for old people.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

do they make the redhots without the "capture" nocks No 1 ?
    NRA Member !

It is a good crossbow arrow for sure. The 2.1" vanes are a little too tall for many crossbows (rub the bottoms of the rail grooves).

Iron, my comments about the "best" arrow, was referring to the majority of crossbow hunters that shoot crossbows in the 325 to 375 fps speed range, not the minority of crossbow hunters that are willing to pay a premium for an arrow to shoot out of the 400 fps + crossbows. But, it's interesting that Dorge of Firenock, recently stated that the Gold Tip Laser III would likely the best choice for the Scorpyd 165 for most folks that hunt with one (not his exact words but close). As to durability, I can't remember the last time I damaged a Laser II and up until the least 2 weeks, I shot literally every day of the week. No doubt, the Aramid is one of the toughest crossbow arrows but when price is thrown into the equation, IMO, the Gold Tip line will be a very strong contender and its popularity proves that, I think.
    MOON

Best ... "you get what you pay for." A lot of guys seem to say that GT II's are "best" for a low price point ... I'd agree on hearsay rather than experience. As to the Lazer III, and Lazer IV's I've read little about them, With aluminum nocks and a strong focus on crossbow users, perhaps we have another choice for high powered, violent release bows.

Best for a low price

:-) Nope........ I have never experienced a shot at a deer with a Gold Tip arrow and thought....man that deer would be "deader" if I had shot him with a more expensive arrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

:-) Nope........ I have never experienced a shot at a deer with a Gold Tip arrow and thought....man that deer would be "deader" if I had shot him with a more expensive arrow.
    Taken from the source; a guy who .... kills deer by shooting a broomstick handle with a fireplace poker glued on front and full length dead goose feathers for stabilization, out of a bow using a 32 Ford leaf spring for a power source; at velocities (I would have said "speeds" but the word just seems so out of place) that leave the deer confused when he sees the spear-like object coming at him??? The deer dies because natural selection had long ago dropped atlatl's & "spears" from it's survival instinct list of dangerous objects to avoid. At those velocities of course I'd expect you'd be captivated & enamored with modern Gold Tip LazerII carbon fiber arrows! Even their entrance level, well priced LazerII's appear a technological marvel to such a man. I want to hear about "the best" and if the LazerIII's & LazerIV's are better than kevlar Aramid-KV's out of performance bows. Bows that need "best" arrows. Get your mitts around that real bow you have ordered (SZ380) and do some testing. Face the facts, you're only 68 and when these Bowtech, very affordable 350fps & 380fps bows hit the woods, fields & forums, all bow manufacturers likely will be leaping passed your 340fps comfort zone ... just to stay relevant in the game. (Not unlike what Bowtech made Hoyt & Mathews do in verticals) Let's assume you have 40 years left in you (particularly if you keep going bionic) ... you better wrap your mind around 400fps because all bows will be there sooner rather than later. Embrace speed, make it your friend. LOL

Uh... oh
    NRA Member !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast