Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My new 38 dollar arrow saw

What did you guys use then for your nock receiver?
    Did you take a nock turning tool that comes with some nocks and insert that in the space once you removed the part that the track slide comes with?

This is what I did . . .

I took the red piece out of the clamp assembly - it should "pop" out of the gray portion of the clamp assembly - and cut it down carefully to leave behind only the red "tube" portion (closed on one end, open on the other). You can see in my first pic that it is full-length, but then I cut it shorter so that the depth of it would line a nock up nicely for measurements. It "press-fits" (a person could glue it, I guess) back into the gray portion quite nicely. I used the popsicle stick piece to support it - and this way I did not need to glue it, in case I need (decide) to change it out for whatever reason in the future. It is pretty sturdy and working fine as it is, so I don't think I'll be changing it.

Hope that helps - have fun building your saws, guys. It was great of Team4STA to post the idea of using this clamp!

Thanks....Its so exciting to see all of the interest in this project. Mine gets a lot of use. On th nock receiver mine is screwed in on the inside of the receiver. You really should cut down the length of it or else on some arrows it will catch the edge of the arrows.

great idea...gonna have to try it
    YOU GOTTA KILL IT BEFORE YOU GRILL IT!!!

let me know how your builds turn out.

Just found this thread. Nice design and build Looks like another trip to Harbor freight for me.

thank you

nice rig of a saw you got there!
    Staff Shooter for :BLACK EAGLE ARROWS,BULLSEYE BOWSTRINGS,Axcel/Tru-Ball,ThirdHand Archery,BCBow Designs.Owner of Total Control Archery slings: IN CONTROL!
    Custom POLISHING and trigger jobs done HERE!!!

thanks...easy to build and easy to use.

I've been putting this off way too long. I just picked up the grinder today and I'm surprised how quiet it is. No more excuses. It will be built by the end of the holiday weekend!
    MATHEWS DXT 28/65--TR Matrix Sight-- Mathews Downforce Rest
    Beman ICS 400 Hunter Arrows--TR Arrow Cage Quiver
    Mathews Focus Grip--Spitfire Broadheads

I was reading this thread and looking at pics. Maybe you could take a small key chain type retractable tape measure and attach the zero end flush with the cutting edge. Then take the body of the tape measure and attach it to the sliding clamp. That way its closer to the shaft, retractable, and just innovative for a DIY'er.
    Scott Outdoors & Archery Everything you need with low prices and fast shipping!
    Arrows from Beman - Carbon Express - Easton - Gold Tip - Victory
    Hunting Apparel such as Scent-Lok - Robinson Outdoors Inc. Scentblocker - Natural Gear - Russell Outdoors - & More!
    scott-outdoors-archery@comcast.net

Purchased the supplies last night...
    Reaper Woods Monster XLR8

Trying to put the 3" cutoff wheel on the 10000 rpm grinder. Too much gap and the wheel will not go past the threads onto the smooth part of the shaft. Anyone else use this motor? I suppose I can find a collar to extend out that far but that would still not be ideal.

Never mind, figured it out. Realized just needed another nut than what was provided
    Last edited by huntnfishnut; October 25th, 2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: figured it out

Man that's a great looking saw. I just enginered a cut off arrow saw myself. I removed the Weston 8,000 rpm motor and got a small miter saw from the same store. Works nice and cost a grand total of $24 to put me back in business.

Awesome

Here's my adaptation. I had everything around so I spent a grand total of $12 for the clamp. I took a few pics of the process in case anyone was interested.

Push the pin out to remove the handle
    100_0118 (Small).JPG

Pull handle off the rod
    100_0119 (Small).JPG

Pull end of clamp off
    100_0120 (Small).JPG

Pull red piece off
    100_0121 (Small).JPG

Cut nock receiver from red piece
    100_0122 (Small).JPG

While I was at it I just cut the top off the gray piece so I could use is to hold the rod in place
    100_0123 (Small).JPG

Push nock receiver into adjustable end of clamp. I cut my test arrow without using a nock as it rolls smoother for me.
    100_0124 (Small).JPG

I used a solder gun to cut off the top of the red piece to use as an arrow rest next to the blade and sanded it smooth. Used the gray bottom to attach it to the board.
    100_0125 (Small).JPG

Mounted the dremel with zip ties, u bolts would be nice but I had none. Then I lined up the clamp and rest so the blade would only cut the arrow wall. Screwed clamp to board.
    100_0127 (Small).JPG

Finished cut, dremel set around half speed.
    100_0128 (Small).JPG

fiftyincher - good adaptation and pic sequence

Kool beans!! I like it alot!!
    Numbers 6:24-26
    Follow the blood trail that leads to Calvary!!!
    Team Bowtech Pro Staff, Gold Tip Pro Staff, Christian Bowhunters of GA CO-President

This is just too cool. I love the DIY section.

Maybe add some paint and dress it up a little. Used the 10000 rpm Harbor freight saw.

I love-em . Great job guys.

Thanks guys for the inspiration, just finished making mine
    Tradtech Titan/BM Carbon 45#
    Black Widow T/D PSA X 53# 60", Mon River mongoose longbow 45# 64"
    Hummingbird Kingfisher T/D 48# 62", W&W Winex
    Montana Toelke Whip Classic LB 48# 60"

Post so I can find this in a few weeks!

Love this idea and adapted to my current mini chopsaw setup. I am taking it one step further to smooth out the spinning of the arrow. Still in progress but you get the idea.

Saw Bearing.JPG

Been wanting to do one of these for a while, what are you all doing to bring the shaft to the blades? Trying to picture how you would have the blade running at full rpm and then bring the shaft into it and be able to get a spin on it.
    2014 Martin Lithium :: 2007 Martin Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-Down
    REAL AVID Field Staff :: Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast