Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How to measure "exact" draw length from a bow?

  1. #1

    How to measure "exact" draw length from a bow?

    I saw in many articles and webpage of Pro's mention theirs exact draw length (i.e. 29.65"). Knowing the way to measure this will help us to tune our bow back to the same specification after change the string or when we get a new bow.

    What are methods and tools that measure an exact draw length from a bow?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Muskogee,Ok.
    Posts
    73,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderX View Post
    I saw in many articles and webpage of Pro's mention theirs exact draw length (i.e. 29.65"). Knowing the way to measure this will help us to tune our bow back to the same specification after change the string or when we get a new bow.

    What are methods and tools that measure an exact draw length from a bow?
    Draw Length is the distance from the nock point to the throat of the grip plus 1 3/4". Typically, this length will also be about the same length of arrow needed by the compound archer.

    How I do it is draw a arrow with a clothes pin to the front of risor. Deduct the distance to throut of grip and add 1 3/4" I have arrow that is marked with my draw length woth a cloths pin exact.

    Having a draw bpard is another way.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Meechigan
    Posts
    3,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Draw Length is the distance from the nock point to the throat of the grip plus 1 3/4".
    Would you want to consider drawing "against the wall" since the amount of travel in the valley could vary?
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Silver Ventilator 125, Tapps, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana, PA
    Posts
    3,065
    Unless you have a draw board, measuring draw length is a two person task.

    To perform the measurement, nock an arrow and come to full draw, anchor just as you would normally. Have the assistant mark the arrow where it crosses the deepest part of the throat(most bows this will be at or very near the berger hole), let down.

    Measure the arrow from the nock groove to the mark on your arrow and then add 1.75" to the measurement. This is your actual draw length based on AMO standards.

    Over the years I have taken an uncut full length arrow and marked off the various draw lengths from 25" to 31" on the arrow and use this for making the measurement. I believe this is much safer, as the person doing the check does not have to place his hands on your bow reducing the chance of injury if you can't hold it for very long.
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 60#/27 1/2"(283 fps w/366 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 60#/27 1/2"(298 fps w/382 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Bow Madness XL 55#/27 1/2"(258 fps w/386 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Axe-6 58#/27 1/2"(IBO)(298 fps w/300 grain arrow), 55#(ASA)/27 1/2"(287 fps w/305 grain arrow)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana, PA
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
    Would you want to consider drawing "against the wall" since the amount of travel in the valley could vary?
    Take the measurement at full draw anchored as you would when actually shooting the bow. I feel draw length should be measured with the bow in the hands of the shooter. This will help in determing if the draw length is correct and which way to adjust it if necessary. Draw boards are nice for checking, but the archer is the one who will shoot the bow, not the draw board.
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 60#/27 1/2"(283 fps w/366 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 60#/27 1/2"(298 fps w/382 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Bow Madness XL 55#/27 1/2"(258 fps w/386 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Axe-6 58#/27 1/2"(IBO)(298 fps w/300 grain arrow), 55#(ASA)/27 1/2"(287 fps w/305 grain arrow)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetail101 View Post
    Take the measurement at full draw anchored as you would when actually shooting the bow. I feel draw length should be measured with the bow in the hands of the shooter. This will help in determing if the draw length is correct and which way to adjust it if necessary. Draw boards are nice for checking, but the archer is the one who will shoot the bow, not the draw board.
    I dont have a drw board but I think its so you can get each bow to the same dl, not to figure out what your dl should be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,975
    The most common issue that has arisen from draw boards, is people measuring against the wall. "full draw" is the deepest part of the valley (end of the power stroke).
    A bunch of different bows and arrows and stuff.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hawley/Lake Park, MN
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOL View Post
    The most common issue that has arisen from draw boards, is people measuring against the wall. "full draw" is the deepest part of the valley (end of the power stroke).
    Yes.. measuring from the back-wall isn't what manufacturers are doing.. they measure from the deepest part of the valley.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Willow Springs,north carolina
    Posts
    5,271
    Once you get your draw length they way you want it.Take A arrow and mark it to the center of your berger hole.Now you have something to set your bow back up with.You can also use it to check your draw length as needed.

  10. #10
    Thanks for all the answers and advise. I will go measure my bows today.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,527
    A little easier way is to spray foot powder on the bottom of an arrow.

    Draw to anchor and let down. You can easily measure the distance to the rest, then a little arithmatic
    and you have the precise DL

    Allen

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •