Thread: Hoyt Magnatec

Talking Hoyt Magnatec

Does anyone know where I can find information on a dual cam Hoyt Magnatec bow? I recently bought one on E-bay and generally do ton's of research before making a purchase such as this, but the auction was ending soon and it was going way too cheap due to an obscure listing, so I couldn't pass it up. Now I am waiting for UPS to deliver it and really don't know what I am getting as far as performance, reliability, etc. Does anyone have any information or experience with this bow that would be helpful to an information hog such as myself?

take a look at the reflex grizzly for specs ,it is the magnetec bow renamed by reflex,the sister company to hoyt,i had a magnetec and was very pleased with the bow and its performance,mine was the cheaper bow with zr200 limbs..good luck!

I purchased a Hoyt magnatec last fall and I think you will be very surprised at how well it shoots....it is very similar to the reflex grizzly as was mentioned above but the riser handle is just a bit different......good luck!

It depends on what magnatec. there is the one that the others mentioned and there is also a dual cam hoyt magnatec that came out in 2000.This bow says magnatec on the side but the limbs say INTRUDER. This bow has solid limbs, and standard cams. It has the riser like the reflex grizzly but the INTRUDER model is quite a bit heavier. I used this bow to harvest two deer.It was hoyts budget model. IMO its not a bad lower end model bow for back then.

I STILL shoot one with ZR200 split limbs and the Cam and 1/2 system. Mine shoots very well, and w/ a 415gr. arrow @60lb shoots around 270 fps. Not too shabby IMO. I recently installed an STS on it, and wow! Groups are awesome, with almost no hand shock! I can afford whatever bow I want, but honestly have trouble in justifying spending the money when this bow works for me....

they are just a working mans Hoyt Magnesium riser vs. Auminum. Solid limbs Vs. Lminated. Most bows have solid limbs anyway. No problem with a Mag. riser if theyre built the xtra strong tec design Hoyt uses. Serious archers tend to stick thier noses up at the magnatecs due to these cost cutting features. Hoyts command the highest used prices, you should pay significantly less for a Magnatec.

Magnesium is not nearly as cold to hold in the cold weather compared to aluminum. AND, I never heard of a magnesium riser getting bent either....Has anyone else?

i had a mag riser blow up on me litterally back in the late 80's.

Hey but it didn't bend! LOL! J/K

Seriously though, what brand was that?

it was a Martin Cougar magnum with short for the day laminated wood limbs and these harsh and hot modular cams.I sent it back to Walla Walla and they sent me a brand new one less than 2 weeks later. I have heard stories from PSE shooters back in the day calling them Pete Sheley Explosions.Cast mag risers with heavy # limbs have been known to fail right around the arrow shelf in the peak of the draw cycle.Every manufacturer had a certain % of them coming back for riser failure.
    Now we have stronger aluminum and bow prices went north.
    The Mag truss riser of the Hoyt is arguably the strongest, most stable mag riser ever made for a compound. Practically ,there as good as anything else for hunting and 3d.