Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowtech Assassin issues

46K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  hipigbustahs 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I was sighting in my Assassin just under a month old today and noticed something weird about my arrow and how the vane would hit the string when fired. After a few shots I noticed that my cable rod was not straight but rather leaning in towards the arrow rest meaning it would make contact with my arrow when shot.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I will not shoot until the bow has been looked at, but I wanted to know if anyone knows how such a thing would happen. It likes the thing came loose and now I can wiggle the damn rod back and forth.

Thanks for the feedback,
Jared

#4 ·
i dont think so, i owned a parker before i bought my bowtech heartbreaker,and that would come loose every now and then. had my heartbreaker a week an draw stop came loose, repositioned it tightend and its been fine.

#5 ·
This happened to my Assassin as well. I screwed the set screw out and put some blue loctite on it and screwed it back in and have not had a problem since. I have heard of this problem from some other owners. just an oversight by Bowtech during the build. I would go over the bow and check all the screws, good practice on any bow.

#6 ·
I was thinking the same thing, put some loctite and should she not move at all. It scared me at first because I thought I had broken something. But after unscrewing that bolt and understanding what happened I was rest assured this is a common problem.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

#7 ·
one of my tricks is a dab of rtv "silicone rubber,formagasket etc..." on the threads it stops them from vibrating loose/corroding but can be easily removed for future servicability where loctite can cause problems in this area

#8 ·
I had the same thing happen. Didn't know it came loose till my groups started spreading, could not figure it out till I noticed my fletching was almost hitting cable. I put the blue loctite and it fixed it, then i marked the rod so i can see if it gets loose.

#9 ·
I had the same problem with my Assassin, only it wasn't a loose set screw. The cable guard rod was not inserted all the way into the riser because there was a chunk of metal at the base of the set screw hole. The cable guard rod was never held by the set screw. I removed this metal ( it was easy but the factory should have caught this themselves also the assembler of the bow should have caught this too! ) put the rod all the way into the riser and tightened down the set screw. Problemed solved. The cable guard rod should measure 5 1/2 inches from the riser to the end of the rod. If yours is longer, you have the same issue as me.

I emailed BowTech about this and have so far, about 2 weeks, never recieved a reply.

#17 ·
I had the same issue as well. Sort of glad to see I'm not alone but also worries me a little. The guide rod on mine almost popped out and when I looked in the set screw hole I thought I noticed it wasn't all the way clear to the rod. I actually assumed maybe Bowtech had planned it that way such that when you tightend the screw down it would dimple the aluminum into the rod instead of scarring the carbon. Regardless of the case I tapped mine back in w/ a deadblow mallet and it's stayed in place since. I did contact Bowtech about this and only got a response after I complained several times about how s-l-o-w their customer service. I'd contacted them once before about a different bow and never got a response. Squeeky wheel in action I guess.

#18 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was lucky i didn't pull the rod out all the way. I have an assassin and same issue as you. Took it down to the shop and the guy laughed at me and tightened the screw up. I was surprised this would happen from a bowtech. Now the screw is loctited in so it doesnt happen again.

#20 ·
I'm thinking that the first time it happened to me the set screw was loose and the second time I probably didn't re-seat it deeply enough (per buckdoehunter this last time I verified I'm set at 5 1/2" now).

I just spoke with Bowtech customer service about the set screw not going all the way through and he confirmed that it's a lead shot they place in there. So it should be set screw -> lead shot -> guide rod.

#22 ·
I put limbsaver quads on my limbs helped alot.I still get a thud sound. Sounds loud to me but asked a guy shooting next to me how loud it sounded and he said it wasn't that bad. It always sounds louder when your next to the bow. I might pull the string stop off and fill it with RTV so it is not hollow. Thats all I know for now always learning and trying new things good luck, Boss777

#23 ·
Thank goodness I wasn't the only one with this issue (just found this site today after my Assassin did the same). I luckily started looking for loose screws as I've been having them vibrate loose on the sight pins, etc. I'm wondering if this is happening because this bow is made to such tight tolerances and the bow might create such internal shock/vibrations due to it's being fairly powerful? Anyway I unscrewed, applied Loctite, re-tightened, and it seems to be fixed. I'll let everyone know how it holds up as I shoot pretty heavy (approx. 40-50 arrows per day). I want this thing to be ready for fall 2012!

#27 ·
Assassin string snapped

2011 Assassin: bow string blew up on me at full draw a couple months ago.
...thought it was just the age of the bowstring..haven't changed the strings ...but it was a surprise.
Bent both cams...so had to take it in to get new parts: factory strings and cams...

had to borrow a friends bow in the mean time.

...I would guess you need to change out your bowstrings ; have an extra set of strings
but I had no clue the string was going to break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.