a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting an archery shop with $2000

Starting an archery shop with $2000

If you were starting up a little archery shop as a side business/hobby and running it out of your house, and had $2000 to for you initial inventory set up what would you spend it on. Not selling bows just accessories. Like which brands would you say are the most popular for a more hunting and target shooting crowd.

What:
    Vanes
    arrows
    sights
    releases
    rests
    or any other accessories would you want to stock?
    Any dealer out there with some advice on which products they sell the most of?

I would carry blazer and flex fletch vanes. Goldtip arrows. Might have a few truglo sights but all higher end stuff would be special order. A few cheaper hunting releases. and prolly qad and/or ripcord and some whisker buiscuit/hostage pro rests

Just starting out I would carry names that alot of people recognize like Blazer vanes, Easton, Goldtip, or CX arrows, Cobra or Truglo sights (cuz they are somewhat economical with several options), Whisker biscuit rest, Limbdriver, QAD rest, Scott releases. Dont forget your string and limb dampening stuff like Limbsaver or Bowjax products and always keep a Simms s-coil or X-coil stabilizer on hand also.
    2012 Pearson Stealth II, Hogg-It sight, Limbdriver rest, Bernies 10" XROD & QD, Easton Flatline 500's, Vanetec Swift 2.25, Stan Black Jack release

In all honesty $2000 isn't going to get you much at all. I would say $10 grand minimum to get started if you want to stock much of anything at all. Bare necessities are arrows, points, nocks, fletching, servings, cheap hunting sight, cheap trigger release, couple rests, broadheads, etc. This adds up quick not to mention the tools and basic supplies needed. I know what my initial investment was as a start up business and I'm only building strings. The thing about today is that no one wants to go into a shop and have something ordered. They want it now. Most won't wait to have it ordered when they can get online and have it shipped straight to their door. As a shop there's not much profit to be made when ordering piece by piece and paying shipping either.
    $60 Single Cam String & Cable Set Sale http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/specials/
    $100 Gift Card Monthly Giveaway http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/giveaway/
    Save 10% at www.60XCustomStrings.com with promo code AT10
    Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/60XCustomStrings
    Credit Cards 724-525-3972 Paypal info@60XCustomStrings.com

Carry enough so someone could come in and buy everything they needed to fletch their own arrows (glue, tips, nocks, fletchings) - one of each type of rest, a drop away, a full capture, two to three brands of arrows, and have the low, middle and upper level of each brand . . . Gold tip, Easton, Beaman?? A quiver or two from each of the major players - bohning, easton, aurora . .? Maybe stock the cheaper sights (like your truglos) and have a display of the higher end (Armortech . . . Spot Hogg) available for order. Offer serving string, archer's allen keys, woodies, tracer nocks, arrow pullers, string wax . . .

I think the best thing you can do is offer exemplary customer service. No amount of inventory or fancy new shiny ShXt can take the place of a friendly, knowledgeable shop owner - willing to go the extra distance for the customer, wether it be fletchings in a color you don't stock, or taking extra time to help someone understand the benefits of XYZ arrows. Know your product, know your customer and BE FRIENDLY!!

It's not much to get started but it's all I've got so far. I have a website in the works so people can actualy just order online. But Thanks for the input so far keep it coming. I have alot of friends and family where i live and most have said they would support me so thats a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah2 View Post

I think the best thing you can do is offer exemplary customer service. No amount of inventory or fancy new shiny ShXt can take the place of a friendly, knowledgeable shop owner - willing to go the extra distance for the customer, wether it be fletchings in a color you don't stock, or taking extra time to help someone understand the benefits of XYZ arrows. Know your product, know your customer and BE FRIENDLY!!
    Your right about that. I'm a friendly guy who aimes to please and plan on making customer service one my main priorities.

You won't know until you try it...... Good luck.
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler
    Viper Sights, NAP Rests, Easton & Beman Shafts, Limbsavers, Tru-Ball.

I to have just started up something small and have some stock but no 10 grand. $2000 is plenty to get you started. Like others have said don't go crazy with buying hi end acc. I carry Ripcords, QAD, NAP Apache, Extreme sights, Trufire and scott releases, bow quivers and target quivers, blazer vanes, some bowjaxsand a bunch of field points. Broadheads will come later. I don't carry a lot of arrows beccause people always are brand specific. So I found it smart to just order what they want. If someone wants a more high end item I just order it. Don't get to carried away with your spending. Go by how much buisness you are expecting from the start. Wish you well and good luck.

In addition to inventorying common archery accessories, I might consider having some "display" items that people can touch & look over. That will help with sales more than looking at a catalog. Once they are interested, then you could order for them with a non-refundable deposit, enough to cover your shipping both ways & some of your time if they change their mind.
    Thoughts entering one's mind need not escape one's mouth!
    As I age my memory fades .... and that's a load off my mind!

We Live In The Land Of The Free, Only Because Of The Brave
    2010 Elite GT500: 50&60lb, HHA DS-5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, VForce HV 400
    Hakuna Matata to all!

Andd also get yourself a good string maker on board to.

check with the people in your area and ask what everybody is using and what type of things they are looking for. Alot of bowhunters dont like to switch it up.

dont forget a business in the home insurance policy. something to think about.

Liabilty Insurance too - everyone wants to sue these days - at least 1 or 2 million in coverage - not cheap but absolutely essential!
    buckhollowsports.com

Stock what you like so in case the items don't sell you won't get stuck with a bunch of stuff you don't like.

Are you going to be installing the accessories you sell?
    The Original Bling Sling
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 3-NTS Coach, USA Archery

yea as far as stock goes its pretty differant brand wise in differant locations
    best bet is go to the local range and see what the top shooters are using thats what the up and comers want to buy {monkey see monkey do}
    in my area if a shop knew how to tune and set up a new rig they would do well. we have two very prominent stores that do a ton of business, but you drop 1500 on a new rig and go home with a setup that just isn't right yet. don't know if its everywhere or just the locale but for that kind of coin you should be shooting bullet holes not snapping shafts
    so offer string building and tuning services this will go a long way even if you can't build in house source one of the stringbuilders here sure they would love the extra bus.

Quote Originally Posted by bambieslayer View Post
    in my area if a shop knew how to tune and set up a new rig they would do well. we have two very prominent stores that do a ton of business, but you drop 1500 on a new rig and go home with a setup that just isn't right yet. don't know if its everywhere or just the locale but for that kind of coin you should be shooting bullet holes not snapping shafts
    so offer string building and tuning services this will go a long way even if you can't build in house source one of the stringbuilders here sure they would love the extra bus.
    This is the main reason for me starting my own little shop.

Have a custom string maker on a leash for quick delivery and offer fast and professional string/cables installation and tuning.

The ability to make arrows to order is very valuable, as is refletching them as needed. Be quick about it, overnight is best.

The tools to work on bows such as press, draw board, draw scale that most folks won't have is an invaluable draw.

Folks in Utah know how to support locals
    You young people will never know the satisfaction of slamming down a receiver on a rotary phone

If your just starting out I would carry names that alot of people are familiar with, like:
    Easton, Goldtip and Beaman Arrows....
    Blazer Vanes....
    Cobra, Apex, HHA sights
    NAP, QAD, and Trophy Taker rests...

-Keep your inventory slim, until you establish your store.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by 60X View Post
    In all honesty $2000 isn't going to get you much at all. I would say $10 grand minimum to get started if you want to stock much of anything at all. Bare necessities are arrows, points, nocks, fletching, servings, cheap hunting sight, cheap trigger release, couple rests, broadheads, etc. This adds up quick not to mention the tools and basic supplies needed. I know what my initial investment was as a start up business and I'm only building strings. The thing about today is that no one wants to go into a shop and have something ordered. They want it now. Most won't wait to have it ordered when they can get online and have it shipped straight to their door. As a shop there's not much profit to be made when ordering piece by piece and paying shipping either.
    What I was thinking, $2000 won't get much!
    Mathews Z7, Switchback XT, Mission UX2

Quote Originally Posted by StraightShot350 View Post
    If you were starting up a little archery shop as a side business/hobby and running it out of your house, and had $2000 to for you initial inventory set up what would you spend it on. Not selling bows just accessories. Like which brands would you say are the most popular for a more hunting and target shooting crowd.

What:
    Vanes
    arrows
    sights
    releases
    rests
    $2000 LOL it might turn your lights on that's about it. Inventory you had better dig a bunch deeper--even for your limited idea.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Exclamation Stop!

My friend if this is a hobby, keep it that way! 2,000 isn't a drop in the bucket! Before you stock check with your State laws. You have to get a license, in VA I got State and Country (taxes). So you will be saleing out of your home. INSURANCE!!!!! Lets say you are installing a rest the arrow blows up while the owner is shooting ?????? Home owners will not touch it! Business Insurance!

Back to the question. Once you have a license and the like. Most wholesalers have to have photos of store fronts with posted hours. Once you are ready to order 2,000 with get you a hand full of rest, arrows, and sights. Not a lot of inventory. I'm assumeing you already have fleatching jigs if not I've got some "Bitz" (PM me), and an arrow saw. Find out what everyone you are going to sell to is shooting. Lots of times people in the same AO shoot the same arrows. You CAN NOT stock all brands of arrows, because of the different makes and spine.

My advice is to put your 2,000 in a safe place.

I tried the whole shop thing in 07-09 and lost my butt off. I failed but I tried. In my area 2 local 3-D ranges shut down that year I opened. I had no idea. Lots of lost jobs around me. Kind of hard to sell bows when people need to eat. Not everyone gets on AT.

If you have any questions PM me.

Good luck.
    Aaron

What:
    Vanes
    arrows
    sights
    releases
    rests
    2012 CPXL, Spot Hogg Hunter wrapped, " 10 Crackers Custom, Spot Hogg Hunter wrapped, QAD HD, Tilttamer, CS Max Hunters, Crackerized, Doinker Spot Hogg Wise Guy! THANKS to Bowtech, T.R.U. Ball, Crackers, Tinks, Spot Hogg, TOAD Presses, and Bucknasty Strings and Cables For supporting the Troops!!! " U Crackerized?

What do you guys expect for this guy to stock 10 different spot hoggs, 20 Truglo sight, 20 ripcords, 20 qad's, 10000 vanes 30 differant quivers and every Carter release on the market. All yeah I forgot 200 packs of Rage broadheads. Come on he's doing it out of his home. He wants to start small and if he doesnt have much buisness he won't be in to much in dept. I think he's thinking smart.

I guess if he was opening up a store front right in the middle of town 10 grand would be the amount to spend if not more.

I'm a friendly guy who aimes to please and plan on making customer service one my main priorities.
    This will get you a long way in owning an archery shop, thats all most archers want.
    55#/28.5"/Blacked out D340/Blk Octane hunter/LD Pro/Blk Tight Spot/Axcel Pro 5pin/ Axis 340s/Steelhead 125s = Deadly
    "Why we hunt is more important than when, where, or how" - Gene Wensel
    2014-15 AT deer contest Team Tall Tines

I can tell you don't run an Archery shop. Fact if you run a shop you have to have inventory. If not they will order online. How much have you spent in your local shop, i he didn't have it did you order it??????

Quote Originally Posted by double o View Post
    What do you guys expect for this guy to stock 10 different spot hoggs, 20 Truglo sight, 20 ripcords, 20 qad's, 10000 vanes 30 differant quivers and every Carter release on the market. All yeah I forgot 200 packs of Rage broadheads. Come on he's doing it out of his home. He wants to start small and if he doesnt have much buisness he won't be in to much in dept. I think he's thinking smart.

I guess if he was opening up a store front right in the middle of town 10 grand would be the amount to spend if not more.
    2012 CPXL, Spot Hogg Hunter wrapped, " 10 Crackers Custom, Spot Hogg Hunter wrapped, QAD HD, Tilttamer, CS Max Hunters, Crackerized, Doinker Spot Hogg Wise Guy! THANKS to Bowtech, T.R.U. Ball, Crackers, Tinks, Spot Hogg, TOAD Presses, and Bucknasty Strings and Cables For supporting the Troops!!! " U Crackerized?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast