Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best arrow set up for Field

Best arrow set up for Field

Okay, I really don't want to spend $300+ for a dozen arrows. I have an Elite Tour on order. I plan on shooting 57 lbs with a 31.5" draw. Arrow length of 30".

I'm getting back into outdoor field, I used to use acc 3-49 with 100 grain pts.

For those of you with an archery software program, can you help me out with what arrow I should use based on spine, performance, etc.

My budget's about $150, any oppinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Victory Armour Piercing 400 with 100 gr points, flies great for me. V3's with points would cost you about $150

pin nocks and pins are highly recommended for the VAPs
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

Thanks guys, what kind of spine and grains per inch?

Keep the ideas coming.......

Harvest Time Arrows,
    Easton Light Speeds
    Acc's

All would work great!

Really liek the ACC's

According to Victory's arrow chart you would probably need the 350 spine so 7.1 GPI, and as Rock Monkey suggested pins and pin nocks would be advised. V3 are .003 straightness also available in V1 that are .001 straightness.

With 100 grain points?

I love my Victory 400s. They are pounding.

I don't have an archery program so maybe someone else can chime in but I would think 120 gr would give you a little better FOC with 350 spine shafts.

I'm using 120gr. In my 400s at 62lb

I've been researching the vap's, did they replace the nano's, it seems guys use them for hunting and 3d as well. Some also say they are very brittle. So, are they more of a target (outdoor) arrow?

.....and wouldn't the 400s be too little spine, especially with 400's?

the VAP's are the same arrow as the NANO FORCE's. just a new name. too much confusion with the other NANO named arrows.

it's a solid wall carbon arrow, so it's plenty strong for hunting. me personally, i like a little more weight like around 380g finished or so for a hunting arrow.

for the target world, they work awesome. i was impressed when i saw others shoot them and try to beat them up. the only casualties were nocks and pins.

preferred spine is determined by the arrow's length and bow's draw weight.
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

Cool, thanks for all the info, is Lancaster the best place to get them?

i got my hunting VAPS 28 inches long with the 45 grain insert and 125gr tip. total wieght 407grs! talk about groups this things are so awsome! front of center is sweet too!

and my target arrow is 320 grs and fly like beautys best arrows out right now only way i would stop shooting is if they didnt make them.

it looks like 359-380 is the optimal spine for your measurements/bow setup, according to OT2. Of the Victory arrows, the 350 appears to be your best bet, with 100 gr tip 11.56%FOC, 290.88 FPS, arrow weighing in around 350gr

tips up to 150gr keep you in the green with the Victory arrows, though I'm not sure what sizes they sell. for comparison, a 150gr tip would give you 16.16%FOC, 280.61FPS, and arrow weighing in around 399.3, still optimal spine.

Sand Mountain Outfitters
    /Wytheville, VA

2014 Elite Energy 35 - black and camo
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - realtree xtra

you can go the LAS route. i buy things from them often but i also support my local proshop.

i know my local shop is about the same price as LAS but he doesnt have the same access to some products i have like my serving jigs like LAS does. for the items i cant locate in the kinsey's catalog, i go to LAS.

I don't think they are brittle at all. My son shot them last year for field, outdoor, and 3-d and broke 1 arrow which is a lot less than the year before. The last field round I shot I went through a few pin nocks but that is all. And yes get some extra nocks because they do group that well, you will need a few extras.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming.....

GoldTip Pro Hunter 55/75 with 80 grain points (MAYBE 35/55's depending upon shaft length), OR ULPro 500's with 80 grain points would be a great field arrow. They don't have a huge diameter, but are tough and durable, and not overly expensive.
    I've not been able to tell the difference in long range grouping between my ULPro 500's and the Pro Hunter 35/55's.

They have the same tolerances in spine and weight as the Easton ACC's...but at a lower price.

field14 (Tom D.)
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

If you are going to order Victory arrows and components, contact wehavearrows.com in Fla.. Forget about Lancaster in this case. And I use them all the time. Nothing against Lancaster for sure. He's Veroshooter on here and is the countries biggest victory dealer unless I'm mistaken. Certainly one of them. And a great guy. His wife is shooting VAPs Open Pro, and I think he just switched to them, too....shooting semi-pro.
    2011 Elite Pure
    2008 Elite XXL (2)
    Victory Arrows
    Vapor Trail LimbDriver Rest

The Victory VAP is a great arrow...Now Harvest Time Archery has a similar arrow in the HT-1 "Vengeance" shaft. I signed on as a dealer last week with Harvest Time Archery and I ordered some of the HT-1's the other day. I've got some buddies wanting to try them and I think I'll shoot them for everything this year...They are small for 3-d "you aint cutting many lines with them, lol" but I plan on hunting with them this year and will probably shoot 3-d & a little Field with them this year.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

Quote Originally Posted by blademan View Post
    Victory Armour Piercing 400 with 100 gr points, flies great for me. V3's with points would cost you about $150
    Agreed...great set-up

Here's what Archers Advantage came up with.

ACC 3-49 (30" 57lbs 100gr point) showed as slightly weak with a 9.9 FOC ACC's seem to run a bit stiffer than they are rated so this should be right on. I shoot ACC 3-28's. According to AA they are too weak. The plan was to cut them down but they fly awsome like they are. I love em!

Victory VAP's: 400's were just slightly weak with a FOC of 12.9 340's were marginaly stiff with a FOC of 12 (400's were closest to optinal and you could always turn the bow down a pound or two or shorten the arrow a bit if possible.

checked GT 3555 as well since it was mentioned...way too weak. Did not spine until I lowered poundage to 42 lbs. I shot GT forever...still do for hunting, but the weight consistency is not there compared to the ACC's. My GT XT's varied 6 gr as compared to 1 gr per dozen for the ACC. Not bashing GT's...I shot some pretty good scores with them and my DXT.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Elkforbrains View Post
    Here's what Archers Advantage came up with.

ACC 3-49 (30" 57lbs 100gr point) showed as slightly weak with a 9.9 FOC ACC's seem to run a bit stiffer than they are rated so this should be right on. I shoot ACC 3-28's. According to AA they are too weak. The plan was to cut them down but they fly awsome like they are. I love em!

Victory VAP's: 400's were just slightly weak with a FOC of 12.9 340's were marginaly stiff with a FOC of 12 (400's were closest to optinal and you could always turn the bow down a pound or two or shorten the arrow a bit if possible.

checked GT 3555 as well since it was mentioned...way too weak. Did not spine until I lowered poundage to 42 lbs. I shot GT forever...still do for hunting, but the weight consistency is not there compared to the ACC's. My GT XT's varied 6 gr as compared to 1 gr per dozen for the ACC. Not bashing GT's...I shot some pretty good scores with them and my DXT.

Good luck
    I have been told if you use wraps, it allows you shoot the next weakest spine shaft while giving you a little more speed.
    Ephesians 2: 8-9 (it's what He's done, not me!)
    BOW: 2008 PSE Money Maker Pro,
    ARROWS: PSE Radial X Weave Pro 200's
    Axcel HD PRO, Truball , Trophy Taker SS
    Keurig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast